Evga p55 error please help

roush2fast

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Hello all. It's been quite a while since I've been here but I am as confused and as frustrate as I have ever been. I have had my system for a few years now and it's been rock solid. A few hours ago I was working on my friends pc. I suspect memory is the culprit so I pulled one stick of ram out of my rig and tested it in his. After confirming his ram was bad I placed the stick back into my system. Got him out of here sat down to game and was greeted with a series of beeps. Bios does not post and there is no signal to my display. I have seen error code 2e when it beeps and it rests at code 85 after attempting to post. Error 2e is initialize output device and 85 is Display errors, if no display check monitor/video card. What the heck happened? All I did was remove one stick of ram and replace it 2 minutes later.. It was running fine this morning. I even took it apart a few days ago for cleaning. I tried removing my 580 and reseating. Tried removing ram and reseating, cmos resets, no gpu, check wires , all attempts have been futile.

I am distraught, confused and frustrated. Please anyone with ideas let me know.

Thanks

Solution
Hi, Try removing everything but CPU and CPU fan. Start the board, check the beeps and the code.
Then add only one RAM stick. Check again the beeps and code. Then the graphics card, DVD drive, keyboard and mouse.
Power off before adding a new component.
Hi, Try removing everything but CPU and CPU fan. Start the board, check the beeps and the code.
Then add only one RAM stick. Check again the beeps and code. Then the graphics card, DVD drive, keyboard and mouse.
Power off before adding a new component.

Solution

roush2fast

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Well I thought it fixed the problem. I shut it down and restarted about 20 minutes later and I was greeted with error 38 "initialize USB controller". With a big sigh I started taking things apart and systematically trying each component. Eventually I got a post with one stick of ram. Then two then all 4. I had video and was even at my desktop screen. I shutdown and cleaned up some wires and closed my case, powered up and beep beep beep error 38. I'm now have my board out of my case and I'm still getting this error with only CPU and 1 stick of ram.

I have seen it flash error 24 "Uncompres and initialize bios module but it seems fairly content to flash 38 now " initialize USB controller"

Any ideas ? I'm baffled and i still have no idea how all this occurred from removing one stick of ram.

Any ideas and do I need to create a new post since I previously selected a best answer ?

Fulgurant

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2012

Just spitballin' here, but is it possible that when you re-installed the DIMM, your memory settings got screwed up? I apologize if I'm going over something you already covered, but did you double-check the memory profile in the BIOS? The default frequency/timings/voltage might be too high.

(This guy reported a sorta similar issue with the default memory settings on an EVGA P55 LE motherboard, FWIW. Very old thread, I know, and chances are that you would have discovered an issue like that long before now, but I'm grasping at straws here.)

The only other thing that leaps to mind is that somehow the memory swap damaged the mobo. You're getting a really odd variety of errors.

Sorry to hear about your problem; that really sucks :(

roush2fast

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2007
Well I took the battery out again for about 20 minutes and it posted. I then started adding more mem, gpu, sound card ect and it appears to be stable. I have never encountered this before and I am still completely clueless as to what caused this. I bet I had 15 different error codes throughout the duration of this problem. I guess ill just count my blessings it's working now and move on. If i run into any more problems I will post back. Thanks again for the help.