Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Booting problem

Last response: in Motherboards
January 14, 2013 9:15:05 PM

Hello, I have been getting a problem when I boot my computer, it seems to hang on "Loading Operating System . . ." indefinetly. I can get to my bios setup and it makes the 1 beep noise. I have tried to reset the bios by taking out the CMOS battery and putting it back in but it didn't seem to work. I am running on windows 7 ultimate with a Z68A-D3H-B3 gigabyte motherboard, Intel core i7, and 16G ram.

More about : booting problem

a c 453 V Motherboard
January 14, 2013 9:38:13 PM

You could Boot to the win7 installation disk and do a repair. Or boot into safe mode and Restore.
m
l
January 14, 2013 11:25:02 PM

clutchc said:
You could Boot to the win7 installation disk and do a repair. Or boot into safe mode and Restore.

I lost the CD and there seems to be nothing that says safe mode during the initial boot or in the bios. Would load Fail-safe defaults be the same as safe mode?
m
l
Related resources
a c 453 V Motherboard
January 14, 2013 11:31:47 PM

kilgor12 said:
I lost the CD and there seems to be nothing that says safe mode during the initial boot or in the bios. Would load Fail-safe defaults be the same as safe mode?

"Fail-safe defaults" sounds like an option in BIOS. You shouldn't have to deal with the BIOS setup to fix your problem. Windows 7 Safe Mode is entered by pressing/tapping F8 during boot up.

Btw, you can download a Windows 7 .iso file and burn yourself a Win7 installation disk to replace the one you lost.
http://www.mydigitallife.info/official-windows-7-sp1-is...
m
l
January 14, 2013 11:37:56 PM

I tried tapping F8 the entire booting time and nothing happened at all, it must be locked or disabled?

I might have to make a disk with the link you gave me but I kinda want to avoid doing it till it is my utter last option. Thanks so far.
m
l
a c 453 V Motherboard
January 14, 2013 11:44:21 PM

kilgor12 said:
I might have to make a disk with the link you gave me but I kinda want to avoid doing it till it is my utter last option.

Why don't you want to replace your lost Win7 installation disk?
m
l
January 14, 2013 11:53:33 PM

Just because it feels like there is an easier way solution instead of buring a disc and running a repair that (might) work, but I might be just ignorant. I will however do it.

m
l
a c 453 V Motherboard
January 15, 2013 12:59:48 AM

Resetting the BIOS to factory default probably won't help as you found out. If fact, it may even hurt if changes from default were done prior. The problem seems to be with Windows itself.

Did you by any chance make a change in BIOS before the problem started? One issue that is quite common, is changing the SATA mode from IDE to AHCI or visa versa. Whatever mode the SATA interface was in when the O/S was installed is the one that it needs to stay in to boot. If the SATA mode was ACHI and you reset the BIOS, it would revert back to the default mode. That could have been IDE, for instance. You may want to check that possibility out.

Is this a pre-built system or one you built yourself? How long has it been functioning OK before failing to boot?
m
l
January 15, 2013 1:31:55 AM

I can't recall changing the SATA mode from IDE to AHCI, the thing I did before this was that I changed the CMOS battery since it was dying. This is a computer I built myself.
m
l
a c 453 V Motherboard
January 15, 2013 1:37:34 AM

kilgor12 said:
I can't recall changing the SATA mode from IDE to AHCI, the thing I did before this was that I changed the CMOS battery since it was dying. This is a computer I built myself.

That is what I am talking about. If Windows 7 was installed with the SATA Mode set to AHCI, changing the battery would have reset it to its default. That default could have been IDE Mode. Check in your BIOS setup and see what it is set at.
m
l
January 15, 2013 1:50:19 AM

It is currently at IDE Mode.
m
l
a c 453 V Motherboard
January 15, 2013 2:01:40 AM

kilgor12 said:
It is currently at IDE Mode.

Do you remember changing it to the preferred AHCI Mode before you installed Win7? It won't hurt to change it to AHCI Mode and try to boot. You can always change it back.
m
l
January 15, 2013 2:08:48 AM

Didn't seem to work when I switched it to AHCI just added some text during the boot and did the same thing with "Loading Operating System", I did see a Mode with the IDE and AHCI, called Raid (XHD) and wondered about that.
m
l
a c 453 V Motherboard
January 15, 2013 2:17:36 AM

kilgor12 said:
Didn't seem to work when I switched it to AHCI just added some text during the boot and did the same thing with "Loading Operating System", I did see a Mode with the IDE and AHCI, called Raid (XHD) and wondered about that.

That is for multiple HDDs in a RAID configuration. Don't bother. Set it back to IDE Mode.
You need to be able to access Safe Mode to see what's wrong. Tap F8 every second from the time the PC is tuned on until the Windows loading screen appears.
m
l
January 15, 2013 8:52:39 PM

Forgive me, but I have already tried to enter Safe Mode but nothing at all happens probably due to this mysterious problem.
m
l
a c 453 V Motherboard
January 15, 2013 11:59:05 PM

Strange. I wonder if your keyboard isn't responding. Do you have another keyboard you could try? It would eliminate the possibility of a bad KB causing the issue.
m
l
January 16, 2013 12:01:41 AM

clutchc said:
Strange. I wonder if your keyboard isn't responding. Do you have another keyboard you could try? It would eliminate the possibility of a bad KB causing the issue.

Actually I did change my keyboard to a PS2 very recently to see if it would work because I have heard USB can be problematic. It did not work unfortunatly
m
l
a c 453 V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 2:24:12 AM

When you cleared the CMOS by removing the battery, you may not have completed the whole operation. While the battery is out, you need to jumper the CLR CMOS pins for a few seconds to reset the BIOS to default. Then replace the jumper back on the original pins.
m
l
January 16, 2013 1:56:47 PM

Actually, I finally found out the solution. Then entire time it was a bad SATA2 port on my mobo from my primary hard drive it couldn't detect. I have read that this happened because of my type of mobo was prone to the last revision update from windows which broke my SATA2 ports. Thanks anyways.
m
l

Best solution

a c 453 V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 2:47:04 PM

Glad to hear it is remedied. I'd still make a Win7 install disk though. It's free.
January 16, 2013 9:47:37 PM

clutchc said:
Glad to hear it is remedied. I'd still make a Win7 install disk though. It's free.

Alright I will probably do that. Thanks again.
m
l
January 27, 2013 3:29:01 AM

Best answer selected by kilgor12.
m
l
!