Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need help with sound

Last response: in Systems
December 5, 2011 10:07:27 PM

Okay I'm probably just being stupid here but I just finished my first homebuilt and installed drivers, updates etc.
I reallized I have no sound right now lol
problem 1): I tried plugging in my earphones into the front audio port on the corsair 500R case (I hooked up the HD Audio cable to the appropriate slot on the P8Z68 V PRO motherboard but I hear nothing. if I plug in my earphones on one of the audio ports in the back then I do hear sound
problem 2): I'm using my old lcd tv as my computer monitor, I got a dvi-vga adapter for the graphics which works fine but I forgot about the sound system..the tv's only got av,vga,s-video ports, can I get some cables to hook the computer up to the built in speakers on the tv?

More about : sound

December 5, 2011 11:30:35 PM

about problem 1), here's what it says about the front panel audio connector in the mobo manual:
This connector is for a chasis-mounted front panel audio I/O module that supports either HD Audio or legacy AC'97 audio standard. connect one end of the front panel audio I/O module cable to this connector.
We recommend that you connect a high-definition front panel audio module to this connector to avail of the motherboard's high-definition audio capability
if you want to connect a high-definition front panel audio module to this connector, set the Front Panel Type item in the BIOS setup to [HD]; if you want to connect a AC'97 front panel audio module to this connector, set the item to [AC97]. By default, this connector is set to [HD]

so...if I just want to plug in simple earphones, do I need to go into the BIOS and change the settings?
m
l
December 5, 2011 11:41:34 PM

nvm I changed it to AC97 in the BIOS, still no sound :( 
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
December 5, 2011 11:49:07 PM

Check to make sure that the cable going into the front panel chassis is correct and not backwards =D.

As for #2. You should have a sound input on your tv for the VGA input, run some RCA cable to it and you should be fine.
December 6, 2011 12:14:32 AM

thanks man, I had it the right way (it's pretty hard to do it wrong cause one pin is missing but I unplugged it and plugged it back in and now it's working! no idea what happened maybe the connection was loose
m
l
December 6, 2011 12:25:05 AM

and I got the tv speakers to work now too!
m
l
December 6, 2011 12:25:14 AM

Best answer selected by mersennetwister.
m
l
!