Sign in with
Your question

Pc build problem, need advice

Last response: in CPUs
March 10, 2012 10:18:15 AM

Here is the story guys, I upgraded my pc 2 weeks ago with the addition of an Asus P8Z68 deluxe Gen 3 motherboard and an Intel i7 2700k processor, I installed all the components and tried to turn the pc on, all that happened was that a fan LED flashed on then off instantly, bare in mind I hadnt made any noobish cable errors and that all of my components work perfectly well with my old mobo and cpu.

I'm confused as both the reset and power on button on the motherboard light up when I put the PSU cable in yet when I press the button I get the aforementioned problem and what sounds like the psu turning off. I thought this may have been a problem with the mobo so I RMA'd it, however it was returned to me earlier in the week with no problems, every other component works perfectly and I'm at a loss to explain what this could be, could it be the processor? That is the only other new component. But would that stop even the case fans for spinning up?

Could use some advice guys.

More about : build problem advice

March 10, 2012 10:25:44 AM

Have you tested the psu?
March 10, 2012 10:26:13 AM

Make sure you pluged in the cpu power header aswell...
Related resources
March 10, 2012 11:20:59 AM

Guys I have attached all of the required cables, I triple, quadruple checked I hadnt made a noob error also my PSU seems to work ok with my old CPU and MOBO combo with which I'm communicating with you all.
March 10, 2012 11:43:41 AM

Maybe, your power supply isn't pushing out the power it supposed to be.

I would get a power supply tester, and check the voltages on your power supply and match them to what the power supply is supposed to be getting.
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2012 11:57:41 AM

Have you tried breadboarding your system: take all the components out and replace them one by one with minimum configuration?

If your new components don't work together you should try swapping out with components from other builds. R%eplace one by one and you will. at least. discover what isn't working.

I suggest that you try another PSU first.

BTW, I had a system crash in January and found that both the CPU and mobo had gone south. RMA'd both.
March 10, 2012 4:00:39 PM

2481160,5,1145490 said:
Maybe, your power supply isn't pushing out the power it supposed to be.

I would get a power supply tester, and check the voltages on your power supply and match them to what the power supply is supposed to be getting.[/quotem

I dont think there is a problem with the psu, its a Corsair AX 1200w and runs my crossfire set up completely fine, when installed with the new mobo and cpu I only had one GPU and the basics required for boot up installed.
March 10, 2012 4:02:31 PM

chesteracorgi said:
Have you tried breadboarding your system: take all the components out and replace them one by one with minimum configuration?

If your new components don't work together you should try swapping out with components from other builds. R%eplace one by one and you will. at least. discover what isn't working.

I suggest that you try another PSU first.

BTW, I had a system crash in January and found that both the CPU and mobo had gone south. RMA'd both.

Yeah, I installed the basics needed for boot up, swapped PCI slots used different DIMMs and configurations but nothing changed, could a bas processor (unlikely as I'd be to get one) cause this kind of problem?
!