Power Supply For SLI GTX 570 OC

dragonfly789

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Hey guys just looking for a little advice.

Recently i built my new rig. The only thing i use from my old system is the PSU and the hard drives.

My PSU has recently been making strange whining noises while under load (playing games or encoding with handbrake), and because of this im considering upgrading my PSU. Honestly this couldn't have come at a better time due to the fact that i am VERY interested in purchasing another EVGA GTX 570 HD SC for my system and running the two in SLI.

My question is :

What PSU Wattage would i need?

Would an 850W be enough for my rig?

The PSU ive had my eye on is this one http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-028-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1084

however i also came across this one.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-019-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1084

is there any reason i should go for the more expensive one?

and would it be enough to power:

i5 2500k OC 4.5ghz
8gb DDR3 1600mhz ram corsair XMS
2 HDDs
2x EVGA GTX 570 HD SC + additional OC
Asus p8p67-pro B3
DVD re-writer 18x

as well as the case fans and LEDs on my Antec 1200?

is 850w really enough? ive heard excellent things about corsairs PSUs and apparently they can handle quite a bit when it comes to gaming rigs.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thanks In Advance.

jacknhut

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2010

Both are fine PSU and are enough to power your SLI rig. The HX model is 80 Plus Silver where the AX model is 80 Plus Gold in power efficiency, ie it draws less power from the wall electrical outlet thus saving you energy and produce less heat due to its higher effciency.

Quality wise, the AX model has higher quality due to the model is built by Seasonic (Corsair AX series 750 and 850W is a rebranded Seasonic X series) and is rated best in it's class. The HX series is pretty old, is not full modular while the AX is newer and fully modular for easy cable management.

Go for the AX series if you can afford it.