Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Will it work? ASRock Extreme4-Sandy bridge-USB ports?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 14, 2013 10:20:19 PM

So about a week back, i went into my bios (P67A-GD55) and reset it to factory defaults, When it restarted, it wouldn't post, i wacked the Clear-CMOS switch and it still hung at an odd place.

I can only get into the bios after a C-CMOS, every other boot just hangs. i have no clue what happened.

So instead of paying $130 to get it looked at, i bought an ASRock extreme 4 for $150
(its faster to order a board then to have it fixed were i am, + a high possibility it wont get fixed.) Tho now, im reading that because of my SB CPU, i will loose USB 3.0 Support.
I have 5 devices in my back panel USB. Keyboard, mouse, Mic, headset and external drive. I have four USB 3 and two USB 2, And all my devices are USB 2.
Does this mobo have a third party usb controller, or am i up for an Ivy bridge CPU aswell?

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2013 10:12:09 AM

USB3.0 support is independent from which CPU you are using. The USB3.0 ports are controlled via the Intel Z77 PCH (2 ports + 1 header) and ASMedia ASM1042 (2 ports).

If you want to use the mouse and keyboard before the OS is loaded, then please remember to connect them to USB2.0 ports.
a c 81 V Motherboard
January 15, 2013 11:38:27 AM

You will lose PCI Gen3 support since your using a Sandy Bridge CPU.
But for now PCI-3 is useless, its largely a future-proofing thing to pave the way for PCI storage mediums later on.

Even premium graphics cards dont require more than PCI-2 8x bandwidth, youl be fine fine.
m
l
January 15, 2013 9:47:06 PM

Best answer selected by pipinhot2.
m
l
!