Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

My first build! Suggestions, not sure if I need a gpu...

Last response: in Systems
Share
December 5, 2011 11:17:03 PM

This is my first time building a system, I have it up and running already. The only thing that I don't have yet is a graphics card and I am not sure if I need it or not? I'm not a gamer, I do some video/photo editing and watch/stream movies on pc. I do like speed, and would like this build to last a few years. Would I benefit from a graphics card? If so which would best for my needs? All components for my build are still under 30 days so I can still make changes, feel free to make suggestions. If I could have done better for my money please let me know.

Case: Antec 300 case
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
CPU: i5 2500k
Heatsink: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB ( I'm know this is over kill but it was cheap)
PSU: Antec High Current Gamer Series HCG-620 620W
HDD: Western digital caviar blue 500gb
GPU: none
fans,dvd drives, etc

Total spent: $560

More about : build suggestions gpu

Best solution

December 5, 2011 11:25:05 PM

I think overall this is a pretty good build. For general computing it may be a bit much, you could have probably gone with an i3-2100 if still going Sandy Bridge, as well as using a smaller PSU (somewhere in the <500W range).

With that being said, for general use this CPU will last quite a while, and if you do choose to add a GPU, which you should only do if you plan on gaming/video decoding/computing, you'll have a pretty mean gaming system.

So, I guess in summary I think if you feel like returning some things, you could definitely go with an i3-2100:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

as well as a smaller PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Share
December 5, 2011 11:38:02 PM

Fmaj731 said:
I think overall this is a pretty good build. For general computing it may be a bit much, you could have probably gone with an i3-2100 if still going Sandy Bridge, as well as using a smaller PSU (somewhere in the <500W range).

With that being said, for general use this CPU will last quite a while, and if you do choose to add a GPU, which you should only do if you plan on gaming/video decoding/computing, you'll have a pretty mean gaming system.

So, I guess in summary I think if you feel like returning some things, you could definitely go with an i3-2100:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

as well as a smaller PSU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


I have been picking up these components for cheap since black friday. I picked up the i5 2500k for 149.99, PSU for 64.99, motherboard for 89.99, as well as the ram for 49.99, for the small price difference of the better components I figured it was worth it to future proof this build.
m
0
l
Related resources
December 5, 2011 11:40:52 PM

As mentioned above, you have the basis for a monster gaming machine. Not being a gamer, you won't need a discrete graphics card at all. The Intel HD Graphics 3000 graphics solution that is part of the i5-2500K CPU Pkg provides very capable video/graphics. While the previous advice is sound, you may find as time passes, that you may want to try gaming. In which case, you will simply need to add a discrete graphics card. The price you listed is not bad for that setup.

If you want get some money back however, do as said earlier and also return the COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus. An after market cooler isn't needed if you don't over clock the CPU. The processor comes with a cooler... If you bought a retail BOX pkg and not a bare processor only.
m
0
l
December 5, 2011 11:45:34 PM

If all you do is photo and video editing and watching movies, then no you don't need to purchase an add-on video card. Depending on the size of the video projects you are working on, and if they are personal or commercial, you may want to invest in an SSD as they make huge improvements in performance over traditional magnetic drives.

Do not return the hyper 212 cooler, as the $20-$30 price tag will increase the useable life of your CPU drastically over the stock cooler. Heat kills.
m
0
l
December 5, 2011 11:52:31 PM

This is a good build for general computing.
If you intend to game with it, it will prolly disappoint with out a mean graphics card.
m
0
l
December 5, 2011 11:55:44 PM

Point me in the direction of that $149 i5-2500k please...
m
0
l
December 6, 2011 12:01:05 AM

clutchc said:
Point me in the direction of that $149 i5-2500k please...


That was a black friday deal at micro-center, its currently selling there for 179.99
m
0
l
December 6, 2011 12:05:06 AM

memadmax said:
This is a good build for general computing.
If you intend to game with it, it will prolly disappoint with out a mean graphics card.


Is the graphics card the only missing component for gaming? I have been tempted as I do like video games, I just never played any on a pc before.
m
0
l
December 6, 2011 12:07:03 AM

jeriel05 said:
That was a black friday deal at micro-center, its currently selling there for 179.99

Darn. In store pickup only. Figures.
m
0
l
December 6, 2011 12:13:06 AM

clutchc said:
Darn. In store pickup only. Figures.


I know in my area best buy price matches micro-center prices, you can give it shot.
m
0
l
December 6, 2011 12:22:14 AM

jeriel05 said:
I know in my area best buy price matches micro-center prices, you can give it shot.

Won't work. Got a BB but no Micro Center. So they won't be required to price match. But thanks.
m
0
l
December 6, 2011 12:24:11 AM

jeriel05 said:
Is the graphics card the only missing component for gaming? I have been tempted as I do like video games, I just never played any on a pc before.


Yes its the only thing missing.

You could do some light gaming (no frills 1280x1024) with the built in graphics, but adding a discrete card would give you higher frame rates at higher resolutions. It depends on what types of games you like to play, any first person shooter will require a video card to be playable, while most turn based games (excluding civ5) should be fine without, adventure games are a toss up as many of them have less than demanding graphics.
m
0
l
December 6, 2011 1:43:53 AM

Best answer selected by jeriel05.
m
0
l
!