Beginer Computer Build

brandonpaulwilliams

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
Hello, I am thinking about building a computer and I have put together a hypothetical computer by modifying a list of components from a website. this computer would be used for gaming and basic computer functions(email, documents, etc.) I know next to nothing about computers and I do not even know if the parts are compatible. my current line up is:

CD/DVD: ASUS DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS Black SATA 24X DVD Burner - Bulk - OEM

Case: APEX SK-393-C Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda ST31000524AS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Motherboard: MSI 870S-G54 AM3 AMD 870 SATA 6Gb/s ATX AMD Motherboard

Graphics Card: EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1463-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Power Supply: hec X-Power Pro 650 650W Continuous @ 40°C ATX 12V v2.2 / EPS 12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

RAM: Crucial Ballistix sport 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT25664BA160A

Processor: AMD Phenom II X4 970 Black Edition Deneb 3.5GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Desktop Processor HDZ970FBGMBOX

Please tell me if there are any flaws in my list and/or improvements can be made. Thank you.

Solution
I would strongly recommend getting a different power supply and case. Neither of them are top 5 or perhaps even top 10 brands.

Check out Tom's Hardware's Guide to asking for new build advice:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

It will help us help you better.

At this point I don't think I could recommend a Phenom II. That is a totally unbiased opinion since I am the owner of one. The Core I-5 2500K is the best bang for the buck right now. It is definitely worth stretching your budget to obtain.

The better brands far as cases: NZXT, Cooler Master, Antec, Sliverstone, Lian-Li (and INWin is pretty good too)

Better brands far as PSUs: Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic

Far as your other components you picked. EVGA...

EpigGforce

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
Id say the same thing as the guy above me. I would go for the Intel 2500k over the Phenom any day. Although, if your bent on saving money, the Phenom ii x4 955 is still a great choice. Also, your power supply is the most important. If it goes, chances are it will take everything with it. My recommendation would be a Seasonic or a Corsair.

I would strongly recommend getting a different power supply and case. Neither of them are top 5 or perhaps even top 10 brands.

Check out Tom's Hardware's Guide to asking for new build advice:

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

It will help us help you better.

At this point I don't think I could recommend a Phenom II. That is a totally unbiased opinion since I am the owner of one. The Core I-5 2500K is the best bang for the buck right now. It is definitely worth stretching your budget to obtain.

The better brands far as cases: NZXT, Cooler Master, Antec, Sliverstone, Lian-Li (and INWin is pretty good too)

Better brands far as PSUs: Corsair, Antec, SeaSonic

Far as your other components you picked. EVGA, MSI, & Crucial make good stuff.

Nothing wrong with Crucial however I have a strong preference for GSKILL. They sell a good product at a good price. In 7 years I have never had a problem with GSKILL in any of my builds.

Solution