Red vs green

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Looking to upgrade for BF3. I was planning on some version of two 6950's because they offer 2gb versions. I see there are a few 2gb versions of the 560 ti now that I hadn't seen before.

Thoughts on one vs the other?

Thanks.

Red has better overall performance for the price as well better built cards than Nvidia. However poor drivers for crossfire and other bugs leave much to be desired.

Greed great driver support and doesn't suffer hardly at all when it comes to microshutter even though the THG article is fearmongering. The hardware standpoint well good luck because current gen cards tend to have a lot of issues with thermal degradation of the power vrm and sometimes the vram thus short life span.

Both have poor OpenGL support ie low performance compared to older DX10 era cards in some applications.

Go with ATI/AMD this round if you want them to last you a few years.

Lutfij

Titan
do I get what I need to run crossfire/sli with the cards?
depends on the package - and those items are known as "bundled accessories"

they should be mentioned in the site you're purchasing from or atleast on the site that have them advertised.

I see there are a few 2gb versions of the 560 ti now that I hadn't seen before.
2GB of vram is for people who want to run a multimonitor setup or one LARGE res'd displays

right about now, 1GB is all you'll need. 1.5GB to be the max. if you want future proofing, then getting the highest card(affordable in your budget) is the way to go...contrary to what i just said, you could also hold out until the later of Q1 2012, then you'll see the beautiful(or failed) heads of the 7xxx(AMD)/GTX7xx(nvidia) series of cards.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
What difference would it make if you are running a 52" tv monitor? Doesn't it still run at 1080p? That's less than the 1920x1200 of small monitors right? At any rate, I use a 30" monitor that does 2560x1600 native. Do I really just need 1.5 gb of ram? I was thinking the 4gb of ram would be nice with the large resolution.

You should really stop saying this. As even the OP seems aware it isn't the size of the display that matters, it's the resolution. TVs are almost all 1080p at this point, no matter the size.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Your Answer:
Matthew,

Glad to hear you were able to resolve the issue. The 790i is capable of running AMD cards in Crossfire. If you have any further questions please contact us again.

Regards,
EVGA

That's what I just received from EVGA. I think I'm going to go for the toxic 6950's with dual bios that unlock to a sort of 6970 with a flip of a switch.

Best PCIe Card For ~$530:
2 x Radeon HD 6950 2 GB in CrossFire (Check Prices)

Excellent 2560x1600 performance
2 x Radeon HD 6950 2 GB in CrossFire
Codename: "Cayman"
Process: 40 nm
Universal Shaders: 2816 (2 x 1408)
Texture Units: 176 (2 x 88)
ROPs: 64 (2 x 32)
Memory Bus: 256-bit
Core Speed MHz: 800
Memory Speed MHz: 1250 (5000 effective)
DirectX/Shader Model: DX 11/SM 5.0
Max TDP: 400 W (2 x 200 W)

100312-3SR Radeon HD...
Amazon.com
$264.99
TigerDirect
$269.99

Recent tests performed by our very own Thomas Soderstrom confirm that the Radeon HD 6900-series features vastly improved scaling performance in CrossFire compared to previous-generation boards. As such, a pair of these cards represents a realistic pinnacle for our recommendations. At $530, two Radeon HD 6950s handily beat the GeForce GTX 580, and even come very close to catching the pricier Radeon HD 6990 and GeForce GTX 590.

Read our full review of AMD's Radeon HD 6950 for more information on the card and its accompanying architecture.

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
In a holding pattern. Got the two toxics and unlocked the shaders on both. But I can't get crossfire to work. Latest tech support is saying crossfire can't be done on my board. That means three people that said it can and now one person that said it can'tsto it's apparently going to higher authority as I now own two of them...

axlrose

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Yeah, so after tech support telling me four times that crossfire worked on my board, I purchased he cards and they then told me, no they don't. Thanks to newegg.com for saving the day, and I'm now running two 2gb 560ti's in sli at 2560x1600 and rockin' the ultra...

monsta

Splendid
The 790i is definately not capable or compatible with crossfire , EVGA have done this to another OP and he had to return his cards.
790i is an Nvidia board, it is only capable of SLI, I also have a 790i so I know what I'm taking about.
EVGA really need to stop giving out the wrong advice!