Sign in with
Your question

6870 1gb ( Question about the graphics on 1920 by 1080p)

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
October 10, 2011 3:25:18 AM

Hello, Im wondering if there is anything that will make 1920 by 1080p look better than a hd 6870 1gb, in most of my games i can see jaged lines to a a certain degree that makes it look low quality on the HIGHEST settings. I have no performance problems, Does getting a card like hd 6990 4gb make a big difference on the detail i see, some on PLEASE EXPLAIN!!!!!!!
October 10, 2011 3:54:51 AM

no there will be no difference in the picture.

there will be a difference in perfomance tho.

try turning MSAA and AF on in your games.

having a 6990 will just mean that instead of getting 30fps at these settings you will get 90fps.

turn the settings up as high as they go, try a different game (newer games look better)
m
l
October 10, 2011 4:25:40 AM

maybe getting a crossfire setup would give you a good deal of improvement. But to begin with, what games are your running on that card? I have a 6870 as well and i can tell you that its a real sweet piece of hardware. i play all titles on the highest setting i can put without noticing lag or choppy FPS.

getting a 6990 will only mean it can shurn out the same level of detail on a bugger screen thas all and FYI - at that res, getting a 6990 is overkill as its good enough for a triple monitor setup of 32" monitors.
m
l
Related resources
October 10, 2011 4:40:08 AM

HugoStiglitz said:
no there will be no difference in the picture.

there will be a difference in perfomance tho.

try turning MSAA and AF on in your games.

having a 6990 will just mean that instead of getting 30fps at these settings you will get 90fps.

turn the settings up as high as they go, try a different game (newer games look better)

^This
Anti-aliasing is what should help with jagged edges. A better card does not give better image quality, just better performance.
m
l
October 10, 2011 4:58:43 AM

and make sure your in game resolution is also set at max
m
l
October 10, 2011 9:58:58 PM

People say aa gets rid of jaggy looking visuals but i still see crap in my games that doesnt look good, mostly in deus ex. I hope that skyrim doesnt look jagarific when It comes out. I have aa on the HIGHEST POSSIBLE SETTINGS, with no performance problems. Gmod has the clearest quality, and its the oldest game I have. I had to download a mod for Fallout NV to make it look better. When will there ever be AA that gets rid of all eyesores?
m
l
October 10, 2011 10:09:15 PM

honestly i dont see any jaggies when running at 1920 x 1080 at 2x AA, i also dont see a difference between 2xAA and 32x AA (sans the frames dropping to lower then 1)

are you sure your games are running at the max res your monitor can handle, and can you send us some screenshots i think that would be very helpful
m
l
October 10, 2011 10:35:38 PM

mouse24 said:
honestly i dont see any jaggies when running at 1920 x 1080 at 2x AA, i also dont see a difference between 2xAA and 32x AA (sans the frames dropping to lower then 1)

are you sure your games are running at the max res your monitor can handle, and can you send us some screenshots i think that would be very helpful

+ 15, :sweat:  i'm thinking the same thing on this end...

i previously stated that i have a XFX 6870 Black Edition 1GB card and it decimates anything i throw at it - only lil snag was with running crysis2 at full settings since i had to run an OC on my rig. Thas all.
m
l
October 11, 2011 12:47:23 AM

EXAMPLES:
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles [...] 5314514705

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles [...] 3764864379

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles [...] tab=public

good games (good on highest aa and all other graphics settings): L4D 2, Fallout: NV (had to download a mod for it to look better), and Gmod.

Games that Half ass the quality on higest aa and other graphics settings: Deus ex: human rev, Bioshock, Battlefield 3, and portal 2. My driver is the amd catalyst 11.9, the latest.
m
l
October 11, 2011 12:53:27 AM

those links are broken :/ 
m
l
October 11, 2011 12:56:52 AM

how can i show them? i guess you have to log into my steam to see them or can i just paste them in here?
m
l
October 11, 2011 1:00:13 AM

i think if you just paste them in sections it will work. is there a comma in them? i know that sometimes messes em up
m
l
October 11, 2011 1:28:04 AM

i dont see jaggies in the first pic, the second its only on his lip a little (because of the lighting) and the guys shirt on the screen back there which i think was intentional :) 

on the 3rd i see very minor jaggies on the door right below the light, and i assume thats just because lighting issues in bioshock 1

can you point out the jaggies?
m
l
October 11, 2011 1:34:46 AM

your going bonkers over bioshock 1 - did you read a wiki on that, i didn't play it but the guys who did(my pals) said it had a tonne of graphics related problems.

Bioshock 2 however...was far better

with that 6870 GPU - see what you get with black ops, MOH, crysis 1 + 2, shift 2 and then worry about getting a higher GPU
m
l
October 11, 2011 3:14:21 AM

Ive played black ops free trial and it looked ok, not amazing or anything, not bad. Crysis 1 im assuming it would look very good, i dont have it. BTW the jaggies in the first pic are on the right side and left you have to realy look. in the center is the most noticable. It just occured to me now, do i need to install dx 11? this computer is my first i ever built so that could be a reason why im missing something, but what can it be?
m
l
October 11, 2011 4:58:43 AM

yes you need to install DX11 :)  running a DX11 card in DX9 mode reduces performance a bit you could always type in "dxdiag" and it will tell you what version you have
m
l
October 11, 2011 6:17:39 AM

DX11 should automatically be a part of Windows 7 or Vista SP2. Even if you don't have it, installing it won't help unless your games actually support DX11. Black Ops and Crysis 1 do not suppport DX11.

Games that support DX11 that I can remember off the top of my head:
Dragon Age 2
Aliens vs. Predator
Dirt 3
Deus Ex: Human Revolution
Civilization 5
Tom Clancy's HAWX 2
FEAR 3
Total War: Shogun 2 (With Patch)
Crysis 2 (also with patch)
Metro 2033
Battlefield 3 (When it comes out)
World of Warcraft
Lord of the Rings Online

Your problem with jaggies comes from the fact that AA isn't enabled, or you are talking about games that do not have anti-aliasing support at all (Just about every game based on the unreal engine).

For the games that do not have anti-aliasing, your only real option is to use the morphological filter in the catalyst control center. Even if you try to force AA with your drivers, most of the time it won't work. Morphological filtering can be activated with a checkbox under the anti-aliasing section in the 3D tab. It adds a post-processing filter that smooths out the jagged edges, though at the cost of getting a slightly less sharp picture. You also have to remember to disable it when you are using 2D applications like Web browsers or e-mail clients, as it makes the text in those unreadable.
m
l
October 11, 2011 8:11:15 PM

I have windows 7 so i guess dx11 is already installed. Deus ex looks like *** and i have dx 11 enabled, and so does battlefield 3( yes i know the beta, i still wouldnt be suprised if the graphics still looked jaggy), they both dont look high quality. I HAVE AA ENABLED. Ive tried aplication settings and the catylysts and there is barely a difference, the morphological filter makes a difference in gmod but i can barely notice it in recent releases.
m
l
October 11, 2011 10:06:20 PM

hm, then i think your just being picky :)  i honestly see no problems in the pictures you posted, can you try it with a different monitor or adjust your monitors sharpness a bit?
m
l
October 11, 2011 11:15:12 PM

how do i adjust the sharpness?
m
l
October 11, 2011 11:33:07 PM

dunno, should be a button on your monitor somewhere :) 
m
l
October 12, 2011 12:31:43 AM

called customer support and that option is only available for d sub cable types, I have a dvi cable.
m
l
October 12, 2011 4:33:25 AM

hmmmm, im really not sure then :(  i think you will have to wait for someone more knowledgeable then me
m
l
October 13, 2011 1:03:28 AM

Maybe im just getting used to pc graphics again this is my first built rig. its been 5 years since ive last played on the pc and i dont remember seeing any jagged lines back then not even for the old pc exclusive MOH series.
m
l
!