CPU Fan touching motherboard heatsink?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WrathCity

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
I have a z68 Exreme4 Gen3 and just installed the NZXT cpu heatsink and fans. I was wondering how hot the integrated motherboard heatsinks get as one of the fans is touching it. In other words, is this okay or will the temps get high enough to melt the plastic?

pic related.

10e2b04.jpg

Solution
Some of those decrative pieces on the motherboard heatsink can slide off. On my S775 Foxconn x38 board I had to slide half of it off because my 212+ wouldn't fit.

It won't get hot enough to melt plastic. I agree that noise is mostly. Warping of the fan shroud so the fan blades hit is also possible if enough pressure is applied. That's one thing I like about the 212, the fans slide into position so if you need a bit more room you can just slide it up. Or see if that heatsink cover will slide off.

WrathCity

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

The rotating blades make no contact. It's the outer rim that touches.

Zjenep

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
That (removable) decorative cover of the heatsink will not get so hot. And from what I can tell the plastic of the fan normally touches the fins of the CPU heatsink, so I guess it can handle a decent temperature. No need to worry.

You wont have a problem with it melting the plastic at worst it may make the fan a little nosier. If it bothers you I would get a few zip ties and run them through the mounting holes in the fan to mount the fan to the heat-sink. That would allow you to raise it a hair.

4745454b

Titan
Some of those decrative pieces on the motherboard heatsink can slide off. On my S775 Foxconn x38 board I had to slide half of it off because my 212+ wouldn't fit.

It won't get hot enough to melt plastic. I agree that noise is mostly. Warping of the fan shroud so the fan blades hit is also possible if enough pressure is applied. That's one thing I like about the 212, the fans slide into position so if you need a bit more room you can just slide it up. Or see if that heatsink cover will slide off.

Solution

WrathCity

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Bingo! A little screw takes that cover right off. Thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.