Sign in with
Your question

Brand new and burnt out FM1 board

Last response: in Motherboards
January 15, 2013 11:53:26 AM

Hi all, I recently bought an FM1 motherboard from technextday.co.uk.

I unpacked it, etc and set to work fixing it in my tower, I had no processor or RAM but wanted to check that the motherboard loads up so I fitted the I/O shield to the back and screwed the board to the case. (a guide I used mentioned a removable chassis inside the case, but I have no such plate in mine, I was a bit concerned at first that the actual case would cause a nasty short circuit against the back of the board, but noticed there were studs on the back so assumed it would give the relief needed of the solder and be fine). Anyway, I plugged all in and hit the power button. The LED lit up for a flash and died, and would not turn on again.

I then noticed the I/O Shield had bits of metal around where the socket holes had been cut out sticking everywhere so I took it out and just let the board lie where it would have been screwed in, and plugged the power cable back in and hit the power button, and the power supply whizzed, and the power LED lit up red (I assume because there was nothing plugged into the board)

Then after getting rid of the ragged edges of the I/O shield I fitted it back in and screwed the board back in, and it powered up fine, happy days thought I. So I held in the power switch and unplugged the power cable.
Oh no thought I when I smelt something burn!
If you've ever used a metal grinder, this is exactly what it was like!

I know I'm a flipping lunatic for fidgeting about with a board like this and I really am a danger to myself... not to mention the 30 quid thrown away (potentially!)

So is the board likely to be toast and absolutely useless or can it be resurrected.
I assume asking ASRock nicely for a replacement is off the cards, but I honestly don't know what might have caused this. It powered up fine using the same setup without the I/O shield.

Any ideas or advice?

Many thanks

More about : brand burnt fm1 board

a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2013 12:50:54 PM

by removable chassis they probably mean removable hard drive cage
i hope you have used stand offs to mount your motherboard
so let me get this straight you mounted the mobo inside the case and you tried to start it without processor or ram installed?
a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2013 12:57:27 PM

Do you mean this by ragged edges on the I/O shield?

They should touch the housing of the ports, for grounding.

Smells like short circuit somehow...
January 15, 2013 1:46:54 PM

Cheers for the replies gents.

alvine said:
by removable chassis they probably mean removable hard drive cage
i hope you have used stand offs to mount your motherboard
so let me get this straight you mounted the mobo inside the case and you tried to start it without processor or ram installed?

The board fits in without removing the drive bit toward the front so no worries that end I suppose.
I've used the screws that came with the tower to fit the board to the case, they are pretty much a bog standard screw like: http://www.govgroup.com/images_products/2346814_big.jpg
Just looking inside the PC I'm using now (bought from a techie guy), the same type of screws are in the mother board

Yes, I powered it up with no other components...
Curiousity killed the cat :sarcastic: 

Zjenep said:
Do you mean this by ragged edges on the I/O shield?

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/1362/dsc00563qw.jpg

They should touch the housing of the ports, for grounding.

Smells like short circuit somehow...

Exactly like that... I read an article here that a bit of the shield had caused a short in a USB port so made sure to keep it away.

Oh dear, I have made a dogs ear of this whole venture indeed :pfff: 
!