Advice on new GPU.

kevdeath

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums, and I was wondering if could get some advice on a GPU upgrade. I am going to be purchasing a new 24'' monitor next week that runs at 1920x1080. I am also going to be purchasing a GPU to go with it so I can play SKYRIM, BF3, Diablo 3, etc. I have about $356 dollars I could spend on a card. But the thing is, is that I really don't want to spend that much If i don't have to. I've looked at 560, 560ti, and the 570.

I'm a Nvidia man so ATI is out of the question. I am just looking for a card that is going to the the job done. I dont want to spend 320 dollars on a card since the prices on these things drop so frequently, but I will if its worth it. I'm def looking for performance though. I want to be running games on max at 1080.

Thank you for your time.

A 580 is sort of... expensive. I personally have a 560 Ti and im quite sure with some tweaking (lower a few bits here and there), ill play those games np. Skyrim and diablo3 are "console games" after all....
Battlefield 3... Dont know but after what ive seen, if a 560 Ti cant cope with it, the coding sucks. Here:

http://hardocp.com/article/2011/10/03/battlefield_3_open_beta_performance_image_quality/2

If its a beta, and runs this way, im quite sure 560 Ti will do quite ok.

DaveUK

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2006
What you're basically saying, is that you want to buy a new graphics card that can play games released in the next three months.

What about a years time, when newer titles come out? Where is the future-proofing?

I'd be very tempted to run 2 x GTX 560 1GB in SLI for that price range.

If you want more consistent performance (no micro-stuttering) and a single-card setup then consider stretching $100 for a GTX 580.

If you really hate the idea of SLI and can't stretch your budget then go for GTX 570.

vitornob

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
Surely gtx 580 have more muscle than gtx 570.
But happily the retail version of the game will (should) be better optimized + mature gpu drivers, giving more performance and making the gtx 570 a nice card for the game (probably without AA and motion blur off)

kevdeath

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Thanks guys i really apreciate the info. Sorry i didnt post my complete computer specs like i should have.

1000w power supply
Q6600 (2.4ghz)
ASUS P5N3-SLI
4 gigs of ram (not sure i Know what type)

I know most of this stuff needs upgraded. But I'm going for the GPU first, then MOBO, PROCESSOR and RAM.

So the 570 will have some lasting power in the years to come?

I looked at the chart with the BF3 Ultra testing going on. It's pretty disconcerning that the 6950 is out performing the 570 since their is such a big price difference. I think I'm just going to have to wait for the game to come out of that shitty beta to see what the real deal is.

I mean I could get a 580 if i wanted to. But then I would have to wait until next month to get my monitor. Ughh its just so hard to decide! Or I could get a 570 and wait for the prices on 570's to drop and SLI them and get my monitor this week.

what would you guys do?

What is your current card?

Well, for your current rig, I think you might want to OC your CPU a little bit (let's say 3.0 GHz or more) then it will still keep up with the latest games, with a proper heatsink you can boost up that chip to above 3.0 GHz easily...
(just for a while until you buy a new CPU)

For card(s), I think it would be wise to get a GTX 570 for now and you can add it another one later for better performance. Which mean your next mobo is going to be SLI mobo...

Last, what is your PSU? brand? type?

kevdeath

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Well thanks for the reply! I really appreciate it. I'm super excited. I'm upgrading from a 8800GT 512. I had two of them in SLI but one of them burned up awhile ago. Hopefully theyve made vast improvements to sli since i got those cards. I wasnt really impressed.