Gaming Build Advice for a first time builder

Tags:
  • Build
  • Games
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
December 6, 2011 6:51:39 AM

Hello, everyone! As the title of this thread reads, I am needing some help with my build.

Purchase Date: As of right now I am planning on purchasing every part of the build during the second week in January.

Budget: I'd like to keep it at $1000.00 but if it seems like this isn't enough then I can go a little higher. So I'd cap it off at $1,200.00

System Usage: It will almost be entirely for gaming. The only games I won't play on it will be FPS. I'd rather play FPS games on a console. The majority of games that I will be playing will be MMORPG games, such as Star Wars: The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2. A few RPG games, such as Skyrim and The Witcher 2. And a few other games with interesting multiplayer like LoL and DoTa 2. I know that The Old Republic and Guild Wars 2 haven't been released yet so I guess with MMORPG games the most difficult to run as of right now would be Rift? I've been out of PC gaming for quite a while now so I'm not really sure.

Parts Not Required: Mouse, Keyboard, Speakers. The OS will be Win7 home 64 bit.

Parts Preference: I have almost no preference as of right now. I've been back and forth between AMD and Intel for the past 3 months that I feel that I really don't have a clue.

Preferred website: I'd really like to get everything from Newegg. I live in a very rural community so there are no retail shops that I know of where I could buy any of my components. Other than a Best Buy but from what I looked at they didn't have much of a selection of anything.

Overclocking: Maybe for the CPU but I won't OC anything else.

SLI/Crossfire: Maybe in the near future. But for now I am only looking to use one card.

Monitor Resolution: 1680x1050

Comments: I really want a large case. Plenty of room for future upgrades, fans, and a nice window to view it all. So far the Cooler Master HAF X is what I'm set on at the moment. If anyone has any opinions on it or a better case please do say so. Multiple large fans and LED's are a must. I do love my flashy lights.

I pretty much need advice on every component. I understand what each part does and I understand what most of the details on each component mean but since this is my first build I really don't know anything in terms of build quality or performance from certain brands as compared to others.

I really appreciate any help that I can get on this subject! Please let me know if I left anything important out or you may just ask!

More about : gaming build advice time builder

December 6, 2011 7:03:36 AM

No, there isn't even one in my state.
Score
December 6, 2011 7:04:04 AM

This is really easy! :)  Wait a bit.
Score
December 6, 2011 7:10:01 AM

i5-2500k $215
http://us.ncix.com/products/?sku=57962&vpn=BX80623I5250...

Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 $125
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.Skill Ripjaws (2x4gb) 8gb $30

HIS 6870 $170

Seagate Barracuda 500gb $90
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000EY5F5C/ref=s9_simh...

Samsung DVD Burner $19

Antec 650w $74

+ Power Cord $6 since the Antec doesn't come with one

HAF 932 $140 *Newegg Exclusive*

or this HAF 932 $160

CM Hyper 212 Evo $34 (Best Cooler for the price)

$903 before rebates after shipping. Do you need a wireless card or anything?

This will play any MMO at max. I would have suggested a better GPU but with your resolution, you will find no problems maxing most of the games out right now.

EDIT: Added the Antec 650w for SLI support of two 6870s.
Score
December 6, 2011 7:23:45 AM

Wow, that was a very quick response! Thank you very much Cutebeans. If you don't mind, could you tell me why you chose each part? I'm very eager to learn as much as I can from other builders since this is my first time. How do you think this would fair in very crowded cities/towns/dungeons?

Is that HDD a 6.0Gb/s or 3.0Gb/s?

Score
December 6, 2011 7:32:57 AM

^+1

Since you plan to OC get the Hyper 212+ or Hyper 212 EVO ($25-$35)

If you want to add another GPU get a 650W PSU (700W if you want a little more headroom) [Antec EarthWatts for $69, you will need to buy the power cable for it, but it only cost less than $10]

Any $20 ROM drive or go blu-ray if you want.

Should bring you to a little less than 1k.

Another option for you to look at could be this bundle deal but its not a Full Tower like you requested but your getting a 1TB HDD, a little better motherboard, and the same amount of RAM.

All you would need to do is grab a ROM drive and a GPU which will still keep you under 1k unless you want to buy 2 GPUs which should put you below 1.2k mark

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?I...

$633 for this bundle, add a ROM ($20), which will bring it to around $653. That give you enough to grab two 6870s if you wanted to or a single 560 Ti (however you would need to up your PSU to a 750W if you want ot SLI it for future reference)

Score
December 6, 2011 7:34:32 AM

Wow that got editted faster then I thought
Score
December 6, 2011 7:37:51 AM

It's 3.0GB/s Don't worry, it doesn't offer much difference with the Sata 6.0Gb/s :) .

The i5-2500k is one of the best CPU atm right now for gaming.
Asrock Extreme3 Gen3 is a good board with good OC capabilities and supports crossfire at dual 8x which is pretty good.

I chose the 6870 since it is one of the best bang for buck GPU. :)  I would have suggested a better card but seeing your monitor resolution is 1680 x 1050 ( which is a great resolution btw). You don't need the higher cards as you won't be playing too much demanding games. You will play every MMO at MAX.

The Antec 650w will be capable of supporting OC and crossfiring of 2 6870. Added a power cord because antec earthwatts doesn't come with one. :) 

HAF 932 is a huge monster of a case and more or less the same with the HAF X with a few features missing of The HAF X but it's still one of the best FULL size tower.

CM Hyper Evo is one of the best cooler right now. You can get your i5-2500k to 4.5ghz easily. :) 

HDD and DVD Burner is the cheapest you can buy. Don't worry though, it's still a great quality HDD and DVD drive for the price.
Score
December 6, 2011 7:39:02 AM

Emelth said:
Wow that got editted faster then I thought

:bounce: 
Score
December 6, 2011 7:47:33 AM

Wow.. this page filled up insanely fast. Much faster than my expectations.

What do you guys think in terms of Crossfire with that card? Too much overkill, maybe? And how about RAM? I've always been told that going over 8GB is overkill because most of it beyond that won't be used but perhaps I'm wrong?
Score
December 6, 2011 7:48:08 AM

hahah
Score
December 6, 2011 7:49:59 AM

Many of us here debate wether or not to get 8GB vs 4GB. RAM doesnt make a difference in "gaming" but the prices are so cheap that if you can afford it why not just grab it then for later on cause you never know what know when your gonna need it.
Score
December 6, 2011 7:57:07 AM

Ahh, I see. Oh, Cutebeans, do you think that you could try and find the parts that aren't listed on Newegg on their website? I'd much rather buy all of my parts from the same place so I can hope to get them all in the same shipment.

Also, does anyone have any opinion on what they might think is a better case than the Cooler Master HAF 932 Advanced?
Score
December 6, 2011 8:05:25 AM

A case that beats the HAF will be pretty hard to find for its price but what exactly are you wanting to see on your case?
Score
December 6, 2011 8:19:07 AM

Always go for the overkill on the ram why?

ok here goes i have a 24gig set on my 980x why ok, well heres my most simple comment yet, are computers not ment to multi task the more memory the more you can multi task that i5 and the better overall proforance you should get from your cpu ensure dual channel on each channel wheteher its sets of 1gig 2 gig or 4 gig single channel is for bums.

overkill its the 21st century look at most of our computers on these forums :-)
Score
December 6, 2011 8:20:02 AM

Well, like I said in my first post, I really want tons of room and plenty of enormous fans. Those were the main reasons I went for the HAF X. I still might just go with the HAF X because.. well It's beautiful. Windows and lights are preferred. Haha, I hope I don't sound so childish with wanting to get a flashy computer case but since it's my first build I really want to impress and remember this for a very long time.

Plus, since I live in such a rural community, if you have a computer that has a very fancy outlook and you built it yourself.. well, you are looked on as a genius. I'm not saying that this is what I am trying to achieve in building this but I would looooove to see peoples reactions.
Score
December 6, 2011 8:24:36 AM

Trust me a case is the most important part of the build to the person cause for us builders we want to show it off :p  so we know and dont worry about it the HAF X is a great case as well I love blue LEDs so I stick with cases that have them even when I'm making builds for others unless the specifically ask for a different color
Score
December 6, 2011 8:26:56 AM

I haven't really been able to decide on weather I would like to have Blue or Red LED's. Haha, possibly even purple. How long do you believe this build would last me in years?
Score
December 6, 2011 8:28:03 AM

custombuild said:
Always go for the overkill on the ram why?

ok here goes i have a 24gig set on my 980x why ok, well heres my most simple comment yet, are computers not ment to multi task the more memory the more you can multi task that i5 and the better overall proforance you should get from your cpu ensure dual channel on each channel wheteher its sets of 1gig 2 gig or 4 gig single channel is for bums.

overkill its the 21st century look at most of our computers on these forums :-)

I'm happy for you to have so much RAM, most of us that are here every day helpping people out with builds debate every month or so on RAM. I was the most recent that I can recall of that posted a new topic about it. But its a waste of money for those of us who dont NEED it, which makes it pointless. We would much rather put it towards a better GPU or CPU.
Score
December 6, 2011 8:29:52 AM

Dr Clockworks said:
I haven't really been able to decide on weather I would like to have Blue or Red LED's. Haha, possibly even purple. How long do you believe this build would last me in years?

Depends on the games that come out I would say 2-3 years with adding/upgrading GPUs.
Score
December 6, 2011 8:37:12 AM

As of now, I really can't think of any other games that would come out during 2012 other than Guild Wars 2. So I think I'm safe with this build for at least 2 years.. so that's great.

Could you guys tell me what makes this motherboard a great decision for this build?

Edit: The reason I ask this is because the one thing that I struggled with the most in deciding my components in earlier forms of my first build was the Motherboard. All I ever found were mixed reviews and I really didn't know who to listen to.
Score
December 6, 2011 8:49:05 AM

Z68 motherboards are the best of two different types of motherboards (the H67 and the P67)

Its got two PCEI 3.0 connections (3.0 is new)
Is got two USB 3.0 as well, eight total USB 2.0 slots, and 1 eSata slot

More expensive boards would just have either more USB 3.0, and more PCIE 3.0 slots

Score
December 6, 2011 9:41:59 AM

You can buy all of the parts listed at newegg :) .

I just chose cheaper shops online. The i5-2500k is sold out though.
Score
December 6, 2011 3:24:19 PM

Hopefully when it gets closer to the Holidays that Newegg might have some special deals and such. If so I might buy some parts instead of buying everything at once, even though I would rather buy it all at the same time.

What do you guys think about Crossfire with two of these cards? I'm not really big on using more than one card but I like the idea of it. So I might eventually.

Edit: One thing I forgot to ask, Why a 6870 instead of an Nvidia card like a 560 Ti?
Score
December 6, 2011 10:27:43 PM

You don't need that much power. You can max Most MMOs with a 6770 lol. A 6870 would be plenty of power for you ^_^.

Don't CF right now. You aren't playing intensive games.
Score
December 7, 2011 7:16:07 AM

Hm.. how much better would a 560 Ti compare to a 6870? And does anyone have any opinions as to which manufacturer for AMD cards is the best? If a 560 Ti is substantially better than the 6870 then I might go ahead and get one of those just to future proof myself further.
Score
December 7, 2011 8:26:14 AM

Woo.. I used that to compare the two and the 560 didn't seem too much better. Which manufacturer should I purchase from? I've been thinking on either XFX, Sapphire, or Diamond. Personally, I love the way that Diamond makes there cards look. What do you think?
Score
December 7, 2011 8:32:29 AM

Sapphire is good, dont really like the quaility of XFX GPUs (they are good with PSUs though), the couple of comments Ive seen about Diamonds make me say they are good too.
Score
December 7, 2011 9:01:57 AM

Would you recommend any other brand?
Score
December 7, 2011 9:05:30 AM

Sapphire or HIS
Score
December 7, 2011 9:26:23 AM

HIS is great as well
Score
December 7, 2011 11:40:43 AM

Sapphire and HIS would be the best.
Score
December 8, 2011 4:10:41 AM

Sweet then! I'll look through both of the brands on Newegg and see which one I like the best. Unless you guys have a preference on like a type of cooler or look?

As soon as I choose my GPU I think I'm all set! Thank all of you very, very much for all of your help. is there anything else that any one would upgrade if they could in this build? I can always put back more money for it.
Score
December 8, 2011 8:33:13 AM

Alright if you need anything else just let us know
Score
December 9, 2011 4:34:15 AM

You have got some really great advice so far and all of your parts look good including the gpu you just linked.

I have noticed however that no one has suggested any other mobo's besides the asrock mentioned earlier. This is a very good mobo and I am not trying to dis the suggestion to get it, however if you are looking for another choice, consider these as well.

Asus makes a very good quality board, and the maximus above is from the republic of gamers line considered the best of the best. It has many gaming features and you would be extremely pleased with it.
Most of the rog boards are quite expensive but they have kept this one to a not only realistic level , but considering the features of the board, a down right steal.
Over the last 6 months I have built 15 computers for neighbors, friends, and customers. After seeing my maximus, 13 of those had me build one with it. The other two used the other board I linked and while happy with it they wished they had went with the rog board.
Score
December 9, 2011 5:00:47 AM

I would really love to have a Republic of Gamers Mobo. I bought a Asus G73-JH ROG Gaming Laptop from Best Buy back in July of 2010 but it's GPU fan went out on in July of this year so I returned it to Best Buy and they trashed it without my permission. It was a fantastic gaming machine and I would love to have more ROG components, however I am not looking to spend this much on a Mobo unless it has something that will just really blow me away. Perhaps you can tell me of your experience with it and a few of its features that make it stand out from other boards in terms of gaming?

Also, are their any other products that you would recommend besides a mother board? I was thinking of switching the PSU that was recommended by Cutebeans because it isn't modular. Although, a perfect PSU for this! Unless you guys don't think having a modular PSU is a much better decision over a non-modular PSU?

Another thing I was going to ask everyone is are their any other components that you think I should add? Like a sound card?

Edit: I am going to be building all of this in a very large case so I will need PSU cables that will have plenty of length. I only say this because I read some reviews on Newegg where people had some difficulties in having hteir cables reach ports on their Motherboard.
Score
December 9, 2011 6:14:59 AM

Dr Clockworks said:
I would really love to have a Republic of Gamers Mobo. I bought a Asus G73-JH ROG Gaming Laptop from Best Buy back in July of 2010 but it's GPU fan went out on in July of this year so I returned it to Best Buy and they trashed it without my permission. It was a fantastic gaming machine and I would love to have more ROG components, however I am not looking to spend this much on a Mobo unless it has something that will just really blow me away. Perhaps you can tell me of your experience with it and a few of its features that make it stand out from other boards in terms of gaming?

Also, are their any other products that you would recommend besides a mother board? I was thinking of switching the PSU that was recommended by Cutebeans because it isn't modular. Although, a perfect PSU for this! Unless you guys don't think having a modular PSU is a much better decision over a non-modular PSU?

Another thing I was going to ask everyone is are their any other components that you think I should add? Like a sound card?

Edit: I am going to be building all of this in a very large case so I will need PSU cables that will have plenty of length. I only say this because I read some reviews on Newegg where people had some difficulties in having hteir cables reach ports on their Motherboard.

sure , first since you mentioned a sound card, the maximus mobo is equiped with onboard sound blaster 5.1 you would have no need for additional audio unless you wanted to do audio mixing and lay soundtrax etc.

As far as gaming you can read all about the board here
http://www.asusrog.com/ASUS_Maximus_IV%20Gene-Z.html

Just to name a couple of features you wont find on any other board (except maybe another ROG) There is ROG CONNECT which allows you to connect another computer or laptop via a special usb port on the back of the board so that you can tweak timings and o.c. settings from the other computer during gaming.
There are I think 5-4pin fan connectors on board that if used allow you to set smart fan control settings.
There is a game First software that allows setting ping times for gaming etc. and allows you to set favorability to certain gaming apps etc. it allows traffic shapingand allows calibration of lines for better communication in game.

it has mem tweak it software for unlimited adjustment on ram settings

The lucid virtue technology gives your discreet gpu a break between games by using the on processor graphics in the i5 cpu. most z68 boards will have this function however.

There are more features I know aren't exclusive to this board but what has made it stand out to me is the simplicity of overclocking and mostly the stability achieved from better components.

I like this for modular psu, The 850w may seem a bit much but if you decide to sli later you will be glad for it. The price is not bad for 850w antec
Score
December 9, 2011 9:40:47 PM

That is an amazing Mobo. Since I only plan to SLI/Crossfire 2 cards I think I will go ahead and grab it. Although, since it is a Micro ATX board I will get a smaller case than the Cooler master HAF X. Do you have any recommendations as to which case to get? Just keep in mind that I would really love to have plenty of fans. I can always add LED fans but I just need plenty of air flow.
Score
December 9, 2011 10:20:43 PM

Unless I can get some extensions for my PSU cables. Or maybe I don't need them? I just really don't want to get this in, have something not long enough so I can't connect it, and then have to wait another week for just a few cables to finish my build.
Score
December 9, 2011 11:19:59 PM

Antec 300 illusion, rosewill blackhawk, cm 692 advanced, nzxt h2
Score
December 10, 2011 12:03:55 AM

Good case metioned above. I have a coolermaster storm scout and it is very efficient as well. No need to go to small with the case, so that you can leave a little room for airflow.
Keep in mind that with this mobo you WILL be able to sli your cards if you want to but you wont have allot of room between the two, This shouldn't be a problem if you have good airflow. I dont like to sli anyway because I dont see the need unless you are going to go with giant or dual monitors. I would just rather get a larger single card if need be. Besides there are sometimes micro studdering issues when you sli, as well as the fact that you spend twice the money for roughly 1 1/2 the performance.
Score
December 10, 2011 12:35:08 AM

The ASRock is great as well. Don't get me wrong, both are good motherboards, but if you go with the HAF X, I would get a full ATX motherboard. Also the ASRock has PCIE 3.0, although that isn't a huge deal, as you would need a new graphics card and CPU to use it. (neither are out yet) Lots of people are fine with crossfire, but than again some have horrible issues with it. It uses more power, and has microstuttering (google it) issues on some games. The ROG connect is not used by many though and is more of an elite overclocking thing. If the things that rmii said to you appealed to you you might like that board: if not, there is nothing wrong with the ASRock, and you would be just as pleased with it.
Score
December 10, 2011 3:23:03 AM

Thank you all for every single piece of input that each of you have given me. Because of everyone here I have finally, after about 5 months of being very indecisive, settled down with a build all my own. Here is everything that I will be buying (Please point it out if you see any complications that anything in this might have with another part):

Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Sized Tower Case: $59.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Quad-Core Processor: $219.99

Nvidia EVGA GTX 560 Video Card: $189.99

ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z Z68 Mother Board: $169.99

G.Skill Ripjawx X Series 8GB (2 x 4Gb): $29.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB: $99.99

OCZ 700W Modular Power Supply: $89.99

HP Optical Drive: $24.99

Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler: $25.99

2 x Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm Blue LED Case Fan: $33.98 (That is the price for both of the fans)

All in all it seems to be perfect for what I am looking for. The total price with shipping and tax comes to: $963.69

What do you all think?
Score
December 10, 2011 3:45:58 AM

Dr Clockworks said:
Thank you all for every single piece of input that each of you have given me. Because of everyone here I have finally, after about 5 months of being very indecisive, settled down with a build all my own. Here is everything that I will be buying (Please point it out if you see any complications that anything in this might have with another part):

Cooler Master HAF 912 Mid-Sized Tower Case: $59.99

Intel Core i5-2500K Quad-Core Processor: $219.99

Nvidia EVGA GTX 560 Video Card: $189.99

ASUS Maximus IV Gene-Z Z68 Mother Board: $169.99

G.Skill Ripjawx X Series 8GB (2 x 4Gb): $29.99

Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB: $99.99

OCZ 700W Modular Power Supply: $89.99

HP Optical Drive: $24.99

Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler: $25.99

2 x Cooler Master Megaflow 200mm Blue LED Case Fan: $33.98 (That is the price for both of the fans)

All in all it seems to be perfect for what I am looking for. The total price with shipping and tax comes to: $963.69

What do you all think?

Looks good to me. Not my choice on the case as I like cases with a black interior and side window, but it does look very functional.
Did you mean to use one of the 200mm fans to replace the one in the front and one on the top?

I had to watch the vid to hear him explain the choice of size on the front. It must be what you were thinking cause those two places are the only ones they will fit.
Then you will have an extra fan if by chance you have room on the side panel after installing your hyper 212. It is located low so as to be closer to psu than processor.
Another blue fan would add to the looks in that spot too, and you could save the black one for a spare.
Some folks might not advise the ocz psu but I think it will be o.k. with enough to sli later
Score
December 10, 2011 4:20:52 AM

Whoa whoa whoa

Drop the fans, up the GPU to a 560 Ti or a 6950

I would also up the PSU to a 750W you can SLI in the future, most of us would disagree with going any lower then that

The ROM drive you can save $4 get Lite-on should have one that will do as good if not better than the HP one

Score
December 10, 2011 4:48:52 AM

What PSU would you recommend?
Score
!