Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Dell optiplex 745 modding

Last response: in Components
March 10, 2012 3:35:57 PM

Hello,
i switched the hd of the optiplex for another, it seems to boot correctly but i am concerned about the installed drivers on the alt hd, would it imply any danger for the computer componets?
a b ) Power supply
March 10, 2012 4:02:12 PM

HD have no drivers. Are you having a problem seeing it or accessing it?
m
l

Best solution

a c 1167 ) Power supply
March 10, 2012 4:50:54 PM

If the HDD came from another Dell Optiplex 745 with the same motherboard and components then it should work just fine.

If the HDD came from a PC with a motherboard that has a different chipset and other components then there's a chance that some things won't function properly depending on the Operating System you are using.
Related resources
March 12, 2012 3:41:18 PM

scottiemedic said:
HD have no drivers. Are you having a problem seeing it or accessing it?

I booted it trough debian, and i have WinXP installed too, but can't switch OS because the Optiplex 745 doesn't have PS/2 keyboard plug, so no keyboard for now.

ko888 said:
If the HDD came from another Dell Optiplex 745 with the same motherboard and components then it should work just fine.

If the HDD came from a PC with a motherboard that has a different chipset and other components then there's a chance that some things won't function properly depending on the Operating System you are using.

It came from a M2A-VM ASUS motherboard with an AMD Atlhon 64 x2 installed, and i only transefered the HD and a GeForce 7300 Nvidia gpu to it (i had to cut the frame to be able to plug the monitor to it)

It has that chipset and that gpu driver installed.

Can you guys tell me where to download the Optiplex 745 WinXP chipset, it seems it has an Intel Pentium D 2.8Ghz processor.

My guessing is that it would boot Wing XP and access the HDD and everything, but could overheat or something, is there way to install the chipset before booting?

What's my standing. could i end up with an useless Optiplex 745?
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
March 12, 2012 7:04:06 PM

Since the Dell OptiPlex 745 motherboard doesn't have any PS/2 keyboard and/or mouse connector(s), you will need a version of a Windows XP installation CD that has the Intel Chipset Device Driver slip-streamed into it. The Windows XP installer won't have any USB device support until the appropriate chipset driver is available and loaded during the installation process.

Do you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 installed?
m
l
March 12, 2012 9:34:53 PM

ko888 said:
Since the Dell OptiPlex 745 motherboard doesn't have any PS/2 keyboard and/or mouse connector(s), you will need a version of a Windows XP installation CD that has the Intel Chipset Device Driver slip-streamed into it. The Windows XP installer won't have any USB device support until the appropriate chipset driver is available and loaded during the installation process.

Do you have Windows XP Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3 installed?

I got a PS2/USB converter for my keyboard, it doesn't work, but the usb mouse works, currently on vista, is there something i can do besides installing winxp, could i get full usb support trough vista with corresponding controllers?

I also removed the CD drive and replaced with my alternative HDD which has WinXP SP3 installed but cant boot it with no keyboard, or edit my grub on linux wich is also there and boots on default.

so i am stuck with no keyboard plz help
m
l
a c 1167 ) Power supply
March 12, 2012 9:45:37 PM

orus said:
I got a PS2/USB converter for my keyboard, it doesn't work, but the usb mouse works, currently on vista, is there something i can do besides installing winxp, could i get full usb support trough vista with corresponding controllers?

Are you using the original Dell keyboard that came with the OptiPlex 745?

I would have thought that Windows Vista's Installer would have native Intel chipset USB support included.
m
l
March 12, 2012 10:01:32 PM

ko888 said:
Are you using the original Dell keyboard that came with the OptiPlex 745?

I would have thought that Windows Vista's Installer would have native Intel chipset USB support included.

No, i tried 2 alt keyboards.... but i don't have the original, Windows Vista was already installed i will try get Inter Chipset Device driver and Logitech Set Point for vista and come back to you.
m
l
March 14, 2012 12:32:11 AM

I got a USB keyboard and replaced the CD with the alt HDD and its running on the original HDD with drivers and all, so i have no problems so far, my only concern is that the hardware is exposed because the GPU doesnt fit completely and i can't close the case back on, i am guessing that shouldn't be a problem if i am carefull and clean it often.
m
l
March 17, 2012 2:22:53 PM

Best answer selected by orus.
m
l
!