must I surrender SSN to sell photos?

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
May 1, 2005 9:52:55 PM

When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it asked me for
my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just fotki?
May 1, 2005 9:52:56 PM

peter wrote:
> When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it asked me for
> my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just fotki?

Never give your SSN to an unknown. Thye don't need it unless thta have to report your
earnings to IRS, which I doubt.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 9:52:56 PM

peter wrote:
> When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it asked me for
> my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just fotki?

Well, if you plan to sell something, through them, it would seem they
would need your SSN for reporting your income to IRS. You do plan to
pay taxes on that income, right?

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Related resources

In article <XH8de.18368$lZ.13880@trnddc04>, nospam@nospam.com says...
> When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it asked me for
> my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just fotki?

If you are in the US and the Photo service is in the US and it is a
legitamate business, they will be required to provide you and the federal
government with a 1099 form at the end of the tax year.

Im fairly certain that the form for the 1099 requires the SSN.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> writes:
> Well, if you plan to sell something, through them, it would seem they
> would need your SSN for reporting your income to IRS. You do plan to
> pay taxes on that income, right?

Ebay never asked for my SSN.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 9:52:57 PM

Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> writes:
> If you are in the US and the Photo service is in the US and it is a
> legitamate business, they will be required to provide you and the federal
> government with a 1099 form at the end of the tax year.

I thought that's only if they pay you more than some amount like $600
over the year. If someone pays you 20 bucks to do something, you're
supposed to report the income yourself, but I thought the payer is not
required to file a 1099 for such a small amount.
May 1, 2005 10:23:57 PM

In article <7xk6miboiy.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin says...
> Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> writes:
> > If you are in the US and the Photo service is in the US and it is a
> > legitamate business, they will be required to provide you and the federal
> > government with a 1099 form at the end of the tax year.
>
> I thought that's only if they pay you more than some amount like $600
> over the year. If someone pays you 20 bucks to do something, you're
> supposed to report the income yourself, but I thought the payer is not
> required to file a 1099 for such a small amount.

They cannot assume you will only do a small amount.

If you do more than $600, and then refuse to give them your SSN, they cant do
much about it, and they cant properly file the 1099.

On the other hand, if they have the SSN, but you dont go over $600, they need
do nothing, but they are ready if you do go over $600.

Note that I am not recommending giving out your SSN, I just thought this was
a valid reason to request it. I know nothing what-so-ever about the company
in question.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.

Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> writes:
> They cannot assume you will only do a small amount.
>
> If you do more than $600, and then refuse to give them your SSN,
> they cant do much about it, and they cant properly file the 1099.

Well, they can withhold payment til you supply the SSN. I had
significant 1099 income last year (from consulting) and the payer
asked for my SSN and I gave it to them. It probably would have led to
a big hassle and/or my not getting paid, if I didn't give it.
However, this was a legitimate situation for a 1099 so I didn't have
any problem giving it.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 10:35:39 PM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 17:52:55 GMT, peter wrote:
> When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it asked me for
> my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just fotki?

Do what I do in a similar situation: I'm in the grocery store, and
paying by check (cheque). The clerk asks me for ".. a telephone number."

W e l l , o k . . . . .

It ain't _that_ hard to come up with ".. a telephone number."
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 10:35:40 PM

Allodoxaphobia wrote:
> On Sun, 01 May 2005 17:52:55 GMT, peter wrote:
>
>>When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it asked me for
>>my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just fotki?
>

> Do what I do in a similar situation: I'm in the grocery store, and
> paying by check (cheque). The clerk asks me for ".. a telephone number."
>
> W e l l , o k . . . . .
>
> It ain't _that_ hard to come up with ".. a telephone number."

Ah, but I am sure SSN's, like Canadian SIN's have a check digit. So you
can't "make one up" successfully unless you know the checking algorithm.

--

The News Guy(Mike) - Seinfeld Lists
http://wave.prohosting.com/tnguym

LOST Sawyer's Nicknames:
http://tinyurl.com/dp8nb
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 10:35:40 PM

"Allodoxaphobia" <bit-bucket@config.com> wrote in message
> On Sun, 01 May 2005 17:52:55 GMT, peter wrote:
>> When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it asked me
>> for
>> my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just fotki?
>
> Do what I do in a similar situation: I'm in the grocery store, and
> paying by check (cheque). The clerk asks me for ".. a telephone number."
>
> W e l l , o k . . . . .
>
> It ain't _that_ hard to come up with ".. a telephone number."

Actually, all you need to say is, "skip it" and they will.

No store needs your phone number for anything you are interested in unless
you are placing an order for shipment or services.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 10:35:41 PM

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" <tnguymNoSpamm@yaho.com> writes:
> Ah, but I am sure SSN's, like Canadian SIN's have a check digit. So
> you can't "make one up" successfully unless you know the checking
> algorithm.

Actually no:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_Number#Val...

Of course, the lack of a check digit makes things even worse. If you
make up an SSN, there's a good chance it will be a valid one that
belongs to someone else, who will start getting mysterious income
reported to the IRS. SSN's are 9 digits (1 billion possible) and
every American is issued one basically at birth. There are about 250
million living Americans and, hmm, I don't know, maybe half that many
dead Americans who had SSN's assigned to them during their lifetimes
(SSN's started in the 1930's). I don't think SSN's are re-used after
the person dies. So close to half of the space of possible SSN's have
already been assigned. Not to worry. Insead of SSN's, they will
probably start tattooing 2-dimensional bar codes or implanting RFID
chips in us soon.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 10:35:41 PM

In article <0P9de.346$tp.215@fed1read04>,
"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> "Allodoxaphobia" <bit-bucket@config.com> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 01 May 2005 17:52:55 GMT, peter wrote:
> >> When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it asked me
> >> for
> >> my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just fotki?
> >
> > Do what I do in a similar situation: I'm in the grocery store, and
> > paying by check (cheque). The clerk asks me for ".. a telephone number."
> >
> > W e l l , o k . . . . .
> >
> > It ain't _that_ hard to come up with ".. a telephone number."
>
> Actually, all you need to say is, "skip it" and they will.
>
> No store needs your phone number for anything you are interested in unless
> you are placing an order for shipment or services.

Not so. A phone number and driver's license number are required by the
bank as insurance against fraud, so many businesses won't accept checks
without them. If a check bounces and it has those two pieces of
information, the bank will still honor the check, and (I assume) their
insurance will cover it; if it doesn't, the business that accepted the
check is out of luck. The driver's license number says, "Our clerk
verified that the name on the check matches the photo of the person";
the phone number says, "We have a way to contact the check-writer if the
check bounces."

At least, that's the way it was at my theater (and its bank) in Ann
Arbor. Since businesses set their own check-acceptance policy, and
there are no laws requiring them to do much of anything, some may want a
phone number and some may not. Some that want a phone number may have
employees who don't care very much whether they actually get a phone
number or not.

----j7y

--
jere7my tho?rpe | "The land knows whom it sent out;
(440) 775-1522 | In the place of human beings

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" <tnguymNoSpamm@yaho.com> wrote:

>Ah, but I am sure SSN's, like Canadian SIN's have a check digit. So you
>can't "make one up" successfully unless you know the checking algorithm.

US ssn's don't have a check digit.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 10:35:42 PM

On 01 May 2005 12:05:00 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

> Of course, the lack of a check digit makes things even worse. If you
> make up an SSN, there's a good chance it will be a valid one that
> belongs to someone else, who will start getting mysterious income
> reported to the IRS. SSN's are 9 digits (1 billion possible) and
> every American is issued one basically at birth. There are about 250
> million living Americans and, hmm, I don't know, maybe half that many
> dead Americans who had SSN's assigned to them during their lifetimes
> (SSN's started in the 1930's). I don't think SSN's are re-used after
> the person dies. So close to half of the space of possible SSN's have
> already been assigned.

Most aren't reused, but a few have been. I don't remember all of
the details about this or why they might have been reissued. Many
years ago I worked on a large "human resources" program sold by an
insurance company to other very large businesses, and it had to keep
track of SS numbers, so most of us (the programmers) tried to learn
as much about the numbers as we could. Part of the number is coded
to indicate where it was issued. Anything else I've forgotten,
which along with the Cobol that most of the program was written in,
has been my goal. :)
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 10:35:42 PM

"jere7my tho?rpe" <jere7my2@oberlin.net> wrote in message
> In article <0P9de.346$tp.215@fed1read04>,
> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
>> "Allodoxaphobia" <bit-bucket@config.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > Do what I do in a similar situation: I'm in the grocery store, and
>> > paying by check (cheque). The clerk asks me for ".. a telephone
>> > number."
>> >
>> > W e l l , o k . . . . .
>> >
>> > It ain't _that_ hard to come up with ".. a telephone number."
>>
>> Actually, all you need to say is, "skip it" and they will.
>>
>> No store needs your phone number for anything you are interested in
>> unless
>> you are placing an order for shipment or services.
>
> Not so. A phone number and driver's license number are required by the
> bank as insurance against fraud, so many businesses won't accept checks
> without them. If a check bounces and it has those two pieces of
> information, the bank will still honor the check, and (I assume) their
> insurance will cover it; if it doesn't, the business that accepted the
> check is out of luck. The driver's license number says, "Our clerk
> verified that the name on the check matches the photo of the person";
> the phone number says, "We have a way to contact the check-writer if the
> check bounces."
>
> At least, that's the way it was at my theater (and its bank) in Ann
> Arbor. Since businesses set their own check-acceptance policy, and
> there are no laws requiring them to do much of anything, some may want a
> phone number and some may not. Some that want a phone number may have
> employees who don't care very much whether they actually get a phone
> number or not.

It's a silly practice. If someone were presenting an invalid check...do you
really think they would provide a valid phone number?

Second thought: Who uses checks at stores any more?
:)
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:18:29 PM

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote in message
> Ron Hunter <rphunter@charter.net> writes:
>> Well, if you plan to sell something, through them, it would seem they
>> would need your SSN for reporting your income to IRS. You do plan to
>> pay taxes on that income, right?
>
> Ebay never asked for my SSN.

There's a difference. eBay doesn't sell your item. You do. It's a private
sale between a buyer and seller. If the Web site you are dealing with acts
as an agent and receives payment for the image and pays you after they get
paid they "may" be required to report what they pay you to the IRS. When
you do an eBay sale the IRS only cares if you are running a business. They
don't care if you are just getting rid of "stuff."

An auction is different than an agent, unless the auction house acts as an
agent.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:23:00 PM

> Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> writes:
>> If you are in the US and the Photo service is in the US and it is a
>> legitamate business, they will be required to provide you and the federal
>> government with a 1099 form at the end of the tax year.
>
> I thought that's only if they pay you more than some amount like $600
> over the year. If someone pays you 20 bucks to do something, you're
> supposed to report the income yourself, but I thought the payer is not
> required to file a 1099 for such a small amount.

You are correct, but what happens is that you just get caught up in their
computer system. It's easier for them to have your SS on file than to have
to ask after you've sold so many photos via their site. You just have to
decide if they are legit or not.
Anonymous
May 1, 2005 11:56:45 PM

On 01 May 2005 12:05:00 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

>"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" <tnguymNoSpamm@yaho.com> writes:
>> Ah, but I am sure SSN's, like Canadian SIN's have a check digit. So
>> you can't "make one up" successfully unless you know the checking
>> algorithm.
>
>Actually no:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Social_Security_Number#Val...
>
>Of course, the lack of a check digit makes things even worse. If you
>make up an SSN, there's a good chance it will be a valid one that
>belongs to someone else, who will start getting mysterious income
>reported to the IRS. SSN's are 9 digits (1 billion possible) and
>every American is issued one basically at birth. There are about 250
>million living Americans and, hmm, I don't know, maybe half that many
>dead Americans who had SSN's assigned to them during their lifetimes
>(SSN's started in the 1930's). I don't think SSN's are re-used after
>the person dies. So close to half of the space of possible SSN's have
>already been assigned. Not to worry. Insead of SSN's, they will
>probably start tattooing 2-dimensional bar codes or implanting RFID
>chips in us soon.

Why not just find a dead person's SSN and use it? I doubt the IRS
would dig the person up and hassle them...(on second thought..<g>)

--
Scott in Florida
Anonymous

In article <1fbde.354$tp.246@fed1read04>,
"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> "jere7my tho?rpe" <jere7my2@oberlin.net> wrote in message
> > Not so. A phone number and driver's license number are required by the
> > bank as insurance against fraud, so many businesses won't accept checks
> > without them. If a check bounces and it has those two pieces of
> > information, the bank will still honor the check, and (I assume) their
> > insurance will cover it; if it doesn't, the business that accepted the
> > check is out of luck. The driver's license number says, "Our clerk
> > verified that the name on the check matches the photo of the person";
> > the phone number says, "We have a way to contact the check-writer if the
> > check bounces."
> >
> > At least, that's the way it was at my theater (and its bank) in Ann
> > Arbor. Since businesses set their own check-acceptance policy, and
> > there are no laws requiring them to do much of anything, some may want a
> > phone number and some may not. Some that want a phone number may have
> > employees who don't care very much whether they actually get a phone
> > number or not.
>
> It's a silly practice. If someone were presenting an invalid check...do you
> really think they would provide a valid phone number?

Well, yes, it is silly. I think it's designed more to catch people who
accidentally write bad checks (due to checkbook-balancing errors and
whatnot) than actual fraudsters.

----j7y

--
jere7my tho?rpe | "The land knows whom it sent out;
(440) 775-1522 | In the place of human beings
jere7my2@oberlin.net | Their ashes in urns
http://www.livejournal.com/~jere7my | Come back to each man's house."
--- Aeschylus, The Agamemnon
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:07:56 AM

"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" <tnguymNoSpamm@yaho.com> writes:

> Allodoxaphobia wrote:
>> On Sun, 01 May 2005 17:52:55 GMT, peter wrote:
>>
>>> When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it
>>> asked me for my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just
>>> fotki?
>> Do what I do in a similar situation: I'm in the grocery store, and
>> paying by check (cheque). The clerk asks me for ".. a telephone number."
>> W e l l , o k . . . . . It ain't _that_ hard to come up with
>> ".. a telephone number."
>

> Ah, but I am sure SSN's, like Canadian SIN's have a check digit. So
> you can't "make one up" successfully unless you know the checking
> algorithm.

Sure or not, they don't in fact have a check digit. This is a major
source of problems, of course. They *should* have a check digit.
May 2, 2005 12:33:17 AM

Larry wrote:
> In article <XH8de.18368$lZ.13880@trnddc04>, nospam@nospam.com says...
>
>>When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it asked me for
>>my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just fotki?
>>

> If you are in the US and the Photo service is in the US and it is a
> legitamate business, they will be required to provide you and the federal
> government with a 1099 form at the end of the tax year.
>
> Im fairly certain that the form for the 1099 requires the SSN.

Absolutely, at least it has been on all that I have received.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:36:39 AM

Larry wrote:
> In article <7xk6miboiy.fsf@ruckus.brouhaha.com>, Paul Rubin says...
>
>>Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> writes:
>>
>>>If you are in the US and the Photo service is in the US and it is a
>>>legitamate business, they will be required to provide you and the federal
>>>government with a 1099 form at the end of the tax year.
>>
>>I thought that's only if they pay you more than some amount like $600
>>over the year. If someone pays you 20 bucks to do something, you're
>>supposed to report the income yourself, but I thought the payer is not
>>required to file a 1099 for such a small amount.
>>

> They cannot assume you will only do a small amount.
>
> If you do more than $600, and then refuse to give them your SSN, they cant do
> much about it, and they cant properly file the 1099.
>
> On the other hand, if they have the SSN, but you dont go over $600, they need
> do nothing, but they are ready if you do go over $600.
>
> Note that I am not recommending giving out your SSN, I just thought this was
> a valid reason to request it. I know nothing what-so-ever about the company
> in question.

If you don't provide the number, then they don't have to do business
with you, and probably won't.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 12:44:20 AM

peter writes:

> When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it asked me for
> my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just fotki?

Whenever you receive compensation from a U.S. entity for something like
photographs, the entity must report its payments to the IRS.
Technically, they are not required to provide your SSN, nor are you
required to provide it, but they usually insist on having it to simplify
reporting (the IRS is supposed to be able to find you even without an
SSN, but most companies don't know that).

If you're not American and you reside outside the U.S., you don't need
to provide anything at all; but again, most companies don't know that.

The advantage of providing your SSN is that any employee of the company
to which you provide it can steal your identity.

May 2, 2005 12:56:25 AM

TheNewsGuy(Mike) writes:

> Ah, but I am sure SSN's, like Canadian SIN's have a check digit. So you
> can't "make one up" successfully unless you know the checking algorithm.

It's trivially easy to come up with valid American SSNs.

May 2, 2005 1:02:31 AM

In article <XH8de.18368$lZ.13880@trnddc04>, peter <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:

>When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it asked me for
>my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just fotki?

How would they know it was your SSN and not one you made up? Since it's
illegal for them to require it, and since they have no business trying
to correlate the number you give with anything else, what's the point?
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:02:32 AM

In article <Htbde.9269$_K.5128@fed1read03>,
fishbowl@conservatory.com (james) wrote:

> In article <XH8de.18368$lZ.13880@trnddc04>, peter <nospam@nospam.com> wrote:
>

> >When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it asked me for
> >my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just fotki?
>

> How would they know it was your SSN and not one you made up? Since it's
> illegal for them to require it, and since they have no business trying
> to correlate the number you give with anything else, what's the point?

When you sell a photo it could be construed by IRS as income and the
person/corporation/partnership is required to issue you a 1099 form and
report the 1099 forms that they make out, along with the amount of money
or renummeration, to IRS. You are then supposed to report your 1099
forms on your tax return as income. Minus, of course, any costs involved
in making the object that in this case you sold.

So who is paying you for your prints? fokti or the individual who
actually buys it?

It sounds in your posting that fokti is buying your prints so they are
probably going to issue you a 1099 form next year so they can deduct the
payments on their tax return.

--
To reply no_ HPMarketing Corp.
May 2, 2005 1:04:40 AM

In article <0P9de.346$tp.215@fed1read04>,
Mark² <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>"Allodoxaphobia" <bit-bucket@config.com> wrote in message
>> On Sun, 01 May 2005 17:52:55 GMT, peter wrote:
>>> When I tried to set up my web album on fotki to sell prints, it asked me
>>> for
>>> my SSN. Does this happen on all web albums or just fotki?
>>
>> Do what I do in a similar situation: I'm in the grocery store, and
>> paying by check (cheque). The clerk asks me for ".. a telephone number."
>>
>> W e l l , o k . . . . .
>>
>> It ain't _that_ hard to come up with ".. a telephone number."
>
>Actually, all you need to say is, "skip it" and they will.
>
>No store needs your phone number for anything you are interested in unless
>you are placing an order for shipment or services.

Well, in this case, you're asking them to accept your check. They can
ask you to dance on one foot while singing an aria from La Traviata if
they want to.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:04:41 AM

"james" <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote in message
> In article <0P9de.346$tp.215@fed1read04>,
> Mark² <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>>

>>"Allodoxaphobia" <bit-bucket@config.com> wrote in message
>>>
>>> Do what I do in a similar situation: I'm in the grocery store, and
>>> paying by check (cheque). The clerk asks me for ".. a telephone
>>> number."
>>>
>>> W e l l , o k . . . . .
>>>
>>> It ain't _that_ hard to come up with ".. a telephone number."
>>
>>Actually, all you need to say is, "skip it" and they will.
>>
>>No store needs your phone number for anything you are interested in unless
>>you are placing an order for shipment or services.
>>

> Well, in this case, you're asking them to accept your check. They can
> ask you to dance on one foot while singing an aria from La Traviata if
> they want to.

I looked at the thread and can't find anything about a check.
If that was in the original question, then I missed it.

Many stores like to ask for phone numbers without regard to how you pay.
This is always OK to skip.
Checks usually include a phone number on the check already.
Anyone who thinks a person submitting a bad check ISN'T going to also give a
bad phone number is silly.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:04:42 AM

In article <nzbde.356$tp.107@fed1read04>,
"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:

> Many stores like to ask for phone numbers without regard to how you pay.
> This is always OK to skip.

Oh yes -- that's certainly true.

----j7y

--
jere7my tho?rpe | "The land knows whom it sent out;
(440) 775-1522 | In the place of human beings
jere7my2@oberlin.net | Their ashes in urns
http://www.livejournal.com/~jere7my | Come back to each man's house."
--- Aeschylus, The Agamemnon
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:14:50 AM

Mark² wrote:

> "jere7my tho?rpe" <jere7my2@oberlin.net> wrote in message
>
>>In article <0P9de.346$tp.215@fed1read04>,
>>"Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>>

>>>"Allodoxaphobia" <bit-bucket@config.com> wrote in message

>>>Actually, all you need to say is, "skip it" and they will.
>>>
>>>No store needs your phone number for anything you are interested in
>>>unless
>>>you are placing an order for shipment or services.
>>
>>Not so. A phone number and driver's license number are required by the
>>bank as insurance against fraud, so many businesses won't accept checks
>>without them. If a check bounces and it has those two pieces of
>>information, the bank will still honor the check, and (I assume) their
>>insurance will cover it; if it doesn't, the business that accepted the
>>check is out of luck. The driver's license number says, "Our clerk
>>verified that the name on the check matches the photo of the person";
>>the phone number says, "We have a way to contact the check-writer if the
>>check bounces."
>>
>>At least, that's the way it was at my theater (and its bank) in Ann
>>Arbor. Since businesses set their own check-acceptance policy, and
>>there are no laws requiring them to do much of anything, some may want a
>>phone number and some may not. Some that want a phone number may have
>>employees who don't care very much whether they actually get a phone
>>number or not.
>

> It's a silly practice. If someone were presenting an invalid check...do you
> really think they would provide a valid phone number?
>
> Second thought: Who uses checks at stores any more?
> :)

Hi...

Dunno if it adds to the thread or not, but shopped at
Walmart (in Canada)on Friday... paid cash... cashier
asked me for the first three digits of my postal code.

Told her I forgot... only lived in the same house for 30
years :)

Ken
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:14:51 AM

"Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message

> Mark² wrote:
>
>> "jere7my tho?rpe" <jere7my2@oberlin.net> wrote in message

>>>Not so. A phone number and driver's license number are required by the
>>>bank as insurance against fraud, so many businesses won't accept checks
>>>without them. If a check bounces and it has those two pieces of
>>>information, the bank will still honor the check, and (I assume) their
>>>insurance will cover it; if it doesn't, the business that accepted the
>>>check is out of luck. The driver's license number says, "Our clerk
>>>verified that the name on the check matches the photo of the person";
>>>the phone number says, "We have a way to contact the check-writer if the
>>>check bounces."
>>>
>>>At least, that's the way it was at my theater (and its bank) in Ann
>>>Arbor. Since businesses set their own check-acceptance policy, and
>>>there are no laws requiring them to do much of anything, some may want a
>>>phone number and some may not. Some that want a phone number may have
>>>employees who don't care very much whether they actually get a phone
>>>number or not.
>>

>> It's a silly practice. If someone were presenting an invalid check...do
>> you really think they would provide a valid phone number?
>>
>> Second thought: Who uses checks at stores any more?
>> :)
>
> Hi...
>
> Dunno if it adds to the thread or not, but shopped at
> Walmart (in Canada)on Friday... paid cash... cashier
> asked me for the first three digits of my postal code.
>
> Told her I forgot... only lived in the same house for 30
> years :)

That is really the kind of exchange I was referring to.
Many stores do this in order to keep track of what market they are serving.
When they ask for your phone number, they are doing any number of things
with it...most of which you don't want.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:14:51 AM

Ken Weitzel wrote:

> Mark² wrote:
>
>> "jere7my tho?rpe" <jere7my2@oberlin.net> wrote in message

>>> Not so. A phone number and driver's license number are required by the
>>> bank as insurance against fraud, so many businesses won't accept checks
>>> without them. If a check bounces and it has those two pieces of
>>> information, the bank will still honor the check, and (I assume) their
>>> insurance will cover it; if it doesn't, the business that accepted the
>>> check is out of luck. The driver's license number says, "Our clerk
>>> verified that the name on the check matches the photo of the person";
>>> the phone number says, "We have a way to contact the check-writer if the
>>> check bounces."
>>>
>>> At least, that's the way it was at my theater (and its bank) in Ann
>>> Arbor. Since businesses set their own check-acceptance policy, and
>>> there are no laws requiring them to do much of anything, some may want a
>>> phone number and some may not. Some that want a phone number may have
>>> employees who don't care very much whether they actually get a phone
>>> number or not.
>>

>> It's a silly practice. If someone were presenting an invalid
>> check...do you really think they would provide a valid phone number?
>>
>> Second thought: Who uses checks at stores any more?
>> :)
>

> Hi...
>
> Dunno if it adds to the thread or not, but shopped at
> Walmart (in Canada)on Friday... paid cash... cashier
> asked me for the first three digits of my postal code.
>
> Told her I forgot... only lived in the same house for 30
> years :)
>
> Ken

They want to know where their customers come from so that they can
target advertising to their customer area. If you don't want their ads,
that's fine.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 1:14:52 AM

> "Ken Weitzel" <kweitzel@shaw.ca> wrote in message
>>

>> Mark² wrote:
>>
>>> "jere7my tho?rpe" <jere7my2@oberlin.net> wrote in message

>>> It's a silly practice. If someone were presenting an invalid check...do
>>> you really think they would provide a valid phone number?
>>>
>>> Second thought: Who uses checks at stores any more?
>>> :)
>>
>> Hi...
>>
>> Dunno if it adds to the thread or not, but shopped at
>> Walmart (in Canada)on Friday... paid cash... cashier
>> asked me for the first three digits of my postal code.
>>
>> Told her I forgot... only lived in the same house for 30
>> years :)
>
> That is really the kind of exchange I was referring to.
> Many stores do this in order to keep track of what market they are
> serving.
> When they ask for your phone number, they are doing any number of things
> with it...most of which you don't want.

The other response that works when they ask for your phone number is, "And
what's YOURS?"
:)
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 2:53:17 AM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 16:28:08 -0400, ASAAR <caught@22.com> wrote:

>On 01 May 2005 12:05:00 -0700, Paul Rubin
><http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:
>
>> Of course, the lack of a check digit makes things even worse. If you
>> make up an SSN, there's a good chance it will be a valid one that
>> belongs to someone else, who will start getting mysterious income
>> reported to the IRS. SSN's are 9 digits (1 billion possible) and
>> every American is issued one basically at birth. There are about 250
>> million living Americans and, hmm, I don't know, maybe half that many
>> dead Americans who had SSN's assigned to them during their lifetimes
>> (SSN's started in the 1930's). I don't think SSN's are re-used after
>> the person dies. So close to half of the space of possible SSN's have
>> already been assigned.
>
> Most aren't reused, but a few have been. I don't remember all of
>the details about this or why they might have been reissued. Many
>years ago I worked on a large "human resources" program sold by an
>insurance company to other very large businesses, and it had to keep
>track of SS numbers, so most of us (the programmers) tried to learn
>as much about the numbers as we could. Part of the number is coded
>to indicate where it was issued. Anything else I've forgotten,
>which along with the Cobol that most of the program was written in,
>has been my goal. :)

Here's all about them:

http://archive.cpsr.net/cpsr/privacy/ssn/ssn.structure....

"...bray a fool in a morter with wheat,
yet shall not his folly be beaten out of him;.."

"The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"
William Blake
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 2:57:50 AM

On Sun, 1 May 2005 14:08:28 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

snipped
>Many stores like to ask for phone numbers without regard to how you pay.
>This is always OK to skip.
>Checks usually include a phone number on the check already.
>Anyone who thinks a person submitting a bad check ISN'T going to also give a
>bad phone number is silly.

But many places now require a thumb print.

http://www.ndba.com/for_bankers/products_services/retai...

"...bray a fool in a morter with wheat,
yet shall not his folly be beaten out of him;.."

"The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"
William Blake
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 2:57:51 AM

"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:p hna71p8i8anv2hdum45c4phjp8j63naj7@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 1 May 2005 14:08:28 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>
> snipped
>>Many stores like to ask for phone numbers without regard to how you pay.
>>This is always OK to skip.
>>Checks usually include a phone number on the check already.
>>Anyone who thinks a person submitting a bad check ISN'T going to also give
>>bad phone number is silly.
>>

> But many places now require a thumb print.
>
> http://www.ndba.com/for_bankers/products_services/retai...

"Many?"

I've yet to see that anywhere in the Western United States...
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:07:05 AM

On 01 May 2005 15:35:37 -0700, Paul Rubin
<http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

>Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> writes:
>> They cannot assume you will only do a small amount.
>>
>> If you do more than $600, and then refuse to give them your SSN,
>> they cant do much about it, and they cant properly file the 1099.
>
>Well, they can withhold payment til you supply the SSN. I had
>significant 1099 income last year (from consulting) and the payer
>asked for my SSN and I gave it to them. It probably would have led to
>a big hassle and/or my not getting paid, if I didn't give it.
>However, this was a legitimate situation for a 1099 so I didn't have
>any problem giving it.

Why don't you have a federal tax number separate from you SSN? That's
what I did when in the consulting game.

"...bray a fool in a morter with wheat,
yet shall not his folly be beaten out of him;.."

"The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"
William Blake
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:07:06 AM

John A. Stovall <johnastovall@earthlink.net> writes:
> Why don't you have a federal tax number separate from you SSN? That's
> what I did when in the consulting game.

Hmm, maybe I'll look into that if I do more of that kind of work. I'm
not very knowledgeable about this stuff. I expect a federal tax
number would also satisfy Fotki though, to get back to the original
topic.
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:19:03 AM

On Sun, 1 May 2005 16:11:56 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>"John A. Stovall" <johnastovall@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>news:p hna71p8i8anv2hdum45c4phjp8j63naj7@4ax.com...
>> On Sun, 1 May 2005 14:08:28 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
>> number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>>
>> snipped
>>>Many stores like to ask for phone numbers without regard to how you pay.
>>>This is always OK to skip.
>>>Checks usually include a phone number on the check already.
>>>Anyone who thinks a person submitting a bad check ISN'T going to also give
>>>bad phone number is silly.
>>>

>> But many places now require a thumb print.
>>
>> http://www.ndba.com/for_bankers/products_services/retai...
>
>"Many?"
>
>I've yet to see that anywhere in the Western United States...

Texas is in the "Western United States".

http://www.ilbanker.com/vendors_thumbprint.asp

As is California

http://www.factsfinder.com/news.htm

"...in most of Texas and in much of California, the Middle West and
Florida, what was once acceptable only for criminals is becoming
routine for consumers who cash checks at places other than their own
banks and at supermarkets, liquor stores and check-cashing shops."

"...bray a fool in a morter with wheat,
yet shall not his folly be beaten out of him;.."

"The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"
William Blake
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:45:38 AM

Ron Hunter writes:

> Well, if you plan to sell something, through them, it would seem they
> would need your SSN for reporting your income to IRS. You do plan to
> pay taxes on that income, right?

The IRS doesn't actually need your SSN to find you, as long as the rest
is correct.

May 2, 2005 3:45:39 AM

Mxsmanic wrote:
> Ron Hunter writes:
>

>>Well, if you plan to sell something, through them, it would seem they
>>would need your SSN for reporting your income to IRS. You do plan to
>>pay taxes on that income, right?
>

> The IRS doesn't actually need your SSN to find you, as long as the rest
> is correct.

If you want to be sure YOUR account gets credited, it is better to give
your SSN than John Smith, 1234 Oak st., Chicago, Il.

They sometimes get things messed up even WITH the correct SSN...

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous
May 2, 2005 3:58:29 AM

Larry writes:

> If you are in the US and the Photo service is in the US and it is a
> legitamate business, they will be required to provide you and the federal
> government with a 1099 form at the end of the tax year.
>
> Im fairly certain that the form for the 1099 requires the SSN.

They don't actually need your SSN to report payments to you, but most
companies will stubbornly insist upon it.

May 2, 2005 6:29:11 AM

Larry wrote:
> In article <p2oa71d3g012e8r8iuoc6vh9sg71403l1u@4ax.com>,
> johnastovall@earthlink.net says...
> > On 01 May 2005 15:35:37 -0700, Paul Rubin
> > <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

> > >Well, they can withhold payment til you supply the SSN. I had
> > >significant 1099 income last year (from consulting) and the payer
> > >asked for my SSN and I gave it to them. It probably would have
led to
> > >a big hassle and/or my not getting paid, if I didn't give it.
> > >However, this was a legitimate situation for a 1099 so I didn't
have
> > >any problem giving it.
> >
> > Why don't you have a federal tax number separate from you SSN?
That's
> > what I did when in the consulting game.

> > "...bray a fool in a morter with wheat,
> > yet shall not his folly be beaten out of him;.."
> >
> > "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"
> > William Blake
> >

> The original question had to do with a legitimate reason for the
business to
> ask for a SSN.
>
> As to whether a person should get a Federal tax number to sell a few
photos,
> I wouldnt try to advise.

No big deal to get an EIN. Fill out one form and wait a few days..or a
week or so. The trouble is remembering the damned thing.
May 2, 2005 9:08:02 AM

In article <p2oa71d3g012e8r8iuoc6vh9sg71403l1u@4ax.com>,
johnastovall@earthlink.net says...
> On 01 May 2005 15:35:37 -0700, Paul Rubin
> <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:
>
> >Larry <lastingimagery@comcast.dotnet> writes:
> >> They cannot assume you will only do a small amount.
> >>
> >> If you do more than $600, and then refuse to give them your SSN,
> >> they cant do much about it, and they cant properly file the 1099.
> >
> >Well, they can withhold payment til you supply the SSN. I had
> >significant 1099 income last year (from consulting) and the payer
> >asked for my SSN and I gave it to them. It probably would have led to
> >a big hassle and/or my not getting paid, if I didn't give it.
> >However, this was a legitimate situation for a 1099 so I didn't have
> >any problem giving it.
>
> Why don't you have a federal tax number separate from you SSN? That's
> what I did when in the consulting game.

> "...bray a fool in a morter with wheat,
> yet shall not his folly be beaten out of him;.."
>
> "The Marriage of Heaven and Hell"
> William Blake

The original question had to do with a legitimate reason for the business to
ask for a SSN.

As to whether a person should get a Federal tax number to sell a few photos,
I wouldnt try to advise.

--
Larry Lynch
Mystic, Ct.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 2:09:23 AM

In article <1115026151.906887.142630@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com>,
charliediy@aol.com says...

> Larry wrote:

> > The original question had to do with a legitimate reason for the
> business to
> > ask for a SSN.
> >
> > As to whether a person should get a Federal tax number to sell a few
> photos,
> > I wouldnt try to advise.
> >
> No big deal to get an EIN. Fill out one form and wait a few days..or a
> week or so. The trouble is remembering the damned thing.

Just put it in your cell phone as the phone number for someone named
FEIN.

--
josh@phred.org is Joshua Putnam
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/&gt;

On Sun, 01 May 2005 17:49:22 -0400, clutch@lycos.com wrote:

>"TheNewsGuy(Mike)" <tnguymNoSpamm@yaho.com> wrote:
>
>>Ah, but I am sure SSN's, like Canadian SIN's have a check digit. So you
>>can't "make one up" successfully unless you know the checking algorithm.
>
>US ssn's don't have a check digit.

Most businesses will have either a worksheet or a computer
program into which you plug the SSn and out comes the proper check
digit, which is then used on initial entry into the rest of the
computer system.
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:54:45 PM

On Sun, 1 May 2005 13:46:49 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>"jere7my tho?rpe" <jere7my2@oberlin.net> wrote in message
>> In article <0P9de.346$tp.215@fed1read04>,
>> "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>>
>>> "Allodoxaphobia" <bit-bucket@config.com> wrote in message

>>> Actually, all you need to say is, "skip it" and they will.
>>>
>>> No store needs your phone number for anything you are interested in
>>> unless
>>> you are placing an order for shipment or services.
>>
>> Not so. A phone number and driver's license number are required by the
>> bank as insurance against fraud, so many businesses won't accept checks
>> without them. If a check bounces and it has those two pieces of
>> information, the bank will still honor the check, and (I assume) their
>> insurance will cover it; if it doesn't, the business that accepted the
>> check is out of luck. The driver's license number says, "Our clerk
>> verified that the name on the check matches the photo of the person";
>> the phone number says, "We have a way to contact the check-writer if the
>> check bounces."
>>
>> At least, that's the way it was at my theater (and its bank) in Ann
>> Arbor. Since businesses set their own check-acceptance policy, and
>> there are no laws requiring them to do much of anything, some may want a
>> phone number and some may not. Some that want a phone number may have
>> employees who don't care very much whether they actually get a phone
>> number or not.
>
>It's a silly practice. If someone were presenting an invalid check...do you
>really think they would provide a valid phone number?
>
>Second thought: Who uses checks at stores any more?
>:)

The woman in front of you at the supermarket who finds out she
hasn't enough cash, then does a seabag dump with her purse on the
counter, then finds out her pen is out of ink ....
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:56:35 PM

On Sun, 01 May 2005 21:14:50 GMT, Ken Weitzel <kweitzel@shaw.ca>
wrote:

>Mark² wrote:
>
>> "jere7my tho?rpe" <jere7my2@oberlin.net> wrote in message

>>>Not so. A phone number and driver's license number are required by the
>>>bank as insurance against fraud, so many businesses won't accept checks
>>>without them. If a check bounces and it has those two pieces of
>>>information, the bank will still honor the check, and (I assume) their
>>>insurance will cover it; if it doesn't, the business that accepted the
>>>check is out of luck. The driver's license number says, "Our clerk
>>>verified that the name on the check matches the photo of the person";
>>>the phone number says, "We have a way to contact the check-writer if the
>>>check bounces."
>>>
>>>At least, that's the way it was at my theater (and its bank) in Ann
>>>Arbor. Since businesses set their own check-acceptance policy, and
>>>there are no laws requiring them to do much of anything, some may want a
>>>phone number and some may not. Some that want a phone number may have
>>>employees who don't care very much whether they actually get a phone
>>>number or not.
>>

>> It's a silly practice. If someone were presenting an invalid check...do you
>> really think they would provide a valid phone number?
>>
>> Second thought: Who uses checks at stores any more?
>> :)
>
>Hi...
>
>Dunno if it adds to the thread or not, but shopped at
>Walmart (in Canada)on Friday... paid cash... cashier
>asked me for the first three digits of my postal code.
>
>Told her I forgot... only lived in the same house for 30
>years :)
>
>Ken

I was picking up a part at a junkyard years ago. I asked the
counter guy if they took credit cards. He said, "Hell, yeah. We'll
even take cash with two forms of ID." :-)
Anonymous
May 3, 2005 1:58:52 PM

number here)@cox..net> wrote:

>"james" <fishbowl@conservatory.com> wrote in message
>> In article <0P9de.346$tp.215@fed1read04>,
>> Mark² <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote:
>>>

>>>"Allodoxaphobia" <bit-bucket@config.com> wrote in message

>>>Actually, all you need to say is, "skip it" and they will.
>>>
>>>No store needs your phone number for anything you are interested in unless
>>>you are placing an order for shipment or services.
>>>

>> Well, in this case, you're asking them to accept your check. They can
>> ask you to dance on one foot while singing an aria from La Traviata if
>> they want to.
>
>I looked at the thread and can't find anything about a check.
>If that was in the original question, then I missed it.
>
>Many stores like to ask for phone numbers without regard to how you pay.
>This is always OK to skip.
>Checks usually include a phone number on the check already.
>Anyone who thinks a person submitting a bad check ISN'T going to also give a
>bad phone number is silly.

Give them the local, non-800 number for Dial-A-Prayer.
!