GTX 1GB 460 SLI VS GTX 560 Ti?

Dropshock

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Should I get the GTX 460 SLI 1GB or a single GTX 560Ti? I'm going to be running at 1440x900 and later maybe upgrading to 1080p. Which one would be better for modern gaming, and future gaming?

That is a low ress to start with but at 1080p they are great. Two gtx 460 will outrun even higher end cards than the gtx 560ti. They all have their cons but if you can mod them to where they don't degrade then you will enjoy them for a long time if not go for a gtx 560ti that has the mid plate.

Dropshock

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011

Yeah, thing is; I'm getting the 460s for a lower price than the 560 Ti itself, so I was thinking whether i should go for the low price of 100 each.

Let me guess you are getting them on eBay? If so better hope that they are not trying to pass you something that has been cooked. I would go for it performance and economy wise but you will need to mode these cards so they don't fail on you in a few months to a year down the line.

Dropshock

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
GTX 460 SLI = HD5970
GTX 560Ti = GTX 470.

in short, getting a single 560Ti is a downgrade.
I do find it funny that u have that much GPU power for such low res though

Yeah in a few months I'll be upgrading to 1080p when I have the money. Until then, I want the best parts for my computer so I won't have to upgrade any soon. Also, I have a Phenom II x4 955 BE and a 750W PSU.

Dropshock

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Where ur getting the cards?
I agree with Nforce on not getting them on ebay, never know if the cards are Fermi'ed for good

No I'm getting them from a friend, he's going to give me everything, receipt, warranty info, card, etc. I've seen him test it and it works as good as new. He's selling them low since he got 580s in SLI.

It depends on which model that you are buying that he is selling. For most refernce card just pull the cooler and add three vram cooler to the power vrm like this.

5405326647_4b679b3114.jpg

Fermi lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cg4fIlvyAGs

I lol @ u guys because of that, [:aford10:7]
I live on the equator so the temperature is naturally constant all year round..............unless Mt. pinatubo explodes again..

LoL, in my part of the world you fry for 4-6 months then have two or three that is great then freeze for the rest lol. Once on one of my old rigs the cpu temp was down to only 2c when I opened the window. :lol:

What CPU and What clocks ?

at least ur better than the Arabs, they can only OC their CPU at night cause CPUs cant run in the day with that 50C ambient temperature :lol:

Then again....ambient temps of 10C at night could allow year long SOCs...

It was a e6400 that was on a crappy asus board using a crappy thermaltake cooler. Not bad for air though :lol:

cps1974

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009
I have just SLI 2 x GTX 460 1GB, granted mine are super overclocked versions running upto 930Mhz, I'm not sure which versions you have - the performance is above GTX 570 and somewhere around GTX 580, insane

around 110fps on BC2, 1920x1080, 32xCSAA, 16xAF, HBAO enabled, i.e. all settings at max

you'll be wanting to play (is this for gaming?) at 1920x1080 (1080p), the SLI GTX 460 or single GTX 560/560 ti will handle this res no problem

my impression would be that if you live in a hot place and have a computer like the ones we're talking about you will also have air conditioning machines, god I hope so anyways

the 460 do run cool - mine idle 27c, max 59/60c (bear in mind i live in the UK where it is not warm generally), I understood the 560/560 ti run higher temps, can anyone comment on this - I shouldnt imagine the temperature difference is huge either way

does the mobo have the correct number of lanes and is SLI ready?
and do you run any PCI (or other) cards that might have to be taken out when you install the 2nd GTX 460 (i just made a dumb error, purchased PCI sound card and 2nd GTX 460 at same time - the 2 x GTX 460 now block up my PCI slots so the soundcard can not be put in my system grrr)

let us know how you get on

chaz

cps1974

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009

I have only seen bios mod guides for unlocking voltage potential (to get more performance/stability out of the card - at the expense of heat)

not sure how a bios mod would extend the life of the card unless clocking it down - but I've got 2 of the buggers working in SLI so I'm happy to be educated - or do y'all mean "mod" by replacing the stock cooler and putting vram cooling sinks on?

chaz

You must not know much about hardware modding to say something like this. Remove the cooler and apply the vram coolers to the power vrm and reinstalled the cooler. Works for most but some cards like the evga EE are more difficult.

cps1974

Distinguished
Aug 26, 2009

aha no im fine with understanding - cleaning gpu and applying new thermal material, replacing stock coolers and adding ram sinks i simply misunderstood and thought bios modding was being talked about

a clarification was all that was needed - its pretty obvious we were talking at cross purposes, cheers

im sure the OP will appreciate the hw modding info & links though