Seemingly Random Crash Please Help

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Hello Techies :hello:

I'm having an issue with the system I built about 3 months ago, just very random crashes, hard crashes complete restart, no BSOD. These crashes didn't start right away, maybe a month ago this crash issue started, and it seems to be becoming more frequent. Specs below.

I originaly thought it was a bad MoBo with Intel's faulty chipset in it so i went through all the checks and I don't have that perticualar board.

Next I thought it was only during Youtube video's (but today it crashed in the middle of Skyrim) that it would crash so I thought bad Flashplayer , so uninstalled, ran clean tool, restarted, reinstalled, SSDD, no change.

Then I found it could be hardware acceleration, went through the steps to disable that, SSDD :cry: , no change.

I have updated all drivers with Driverfinder. Did a registry clean with RegServe. In the Event log all I see is Event ID 41 Kernal power error. Seems to happen about twice a day. Is it the PSU?

Another note it seems like no matter how many times I update the Intel(R) 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI Express drivers they are always out of date, is the chipset that buggy, or is it updated that often, or what is going on there? I'm starting to think my MoBo is junk. Please help me troubleshoot this as I've tried all solutions I could find. :fou:

Specs:

Asus P8P67 Deluxe
Intel Core i5 2500k Overclocked to 4.5Ghz
RipjawX 8Gb (4x4)
XFX Radeon HD 6970
Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB
Rosewill 1000W Bronze
LG Blueray burner and Asus DVD Burner

I wouldn't think the MB would be bad, but it could be. See how things are after updating drivers from the vendor's web site. Go to the ASUS web site and download all current drivers for your MB from their site (this is where I would focus). The hit XFX and do the same with your GPU. Updating drivers oustide of the vendor's current release may not be stable / optimized. In your case I doubt updating the PCIe drivers directly from Intel made a difference...

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
I updated the AMD drivers direct will look at the ASUS drivers. Also haveing issue with AI Suite II opening at all won't run, won't let me re-install to repair it and won't let me uninstall it tried all the posts online that others tried with no avail so I gave up on that. Troubleshooting this thing sucks, I don't know what programs or what to do that makes it happen so I just have to wait and see if it happens again. On another not Youtube now runs fine ran it for 5 hours last night on the longest video on Youtube and it didn't crash.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
Can you boot to a diagnostic disk and run a stress test to see if it crashes outside of Windows... that will tell you if its a hardware problem or software problem.

It sounds like a Motherboard/PSU issue. Kernal Power error seems like a PSU problem.... I would RMA that first(or swap if you have an extra one laying around)... then go from there.

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

When you say diagnostic disk you mean windows 7 disk? Or the disk that came with MoBo?

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
no... like memtest... or PC Check... they are bootable diagnostics... download and burn to a CD.. then reboot and boot to CD drive... run tests and see if failure occurs. if it still occurs, then it is NOT software related... then you would need to figure out what hardware may have gone bad. if failure does NOT occur, then you need to figure out what software may be causing the problem. I am just trying to narrow down your failure points...

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Well just an update I fixed AI Suite it had an issue with my registry cleaner it was cleaning out parts of the program so I added AI to the ignore file and re-installed/repaired it and it works great now. Still Crashing

I booted up the windows disk and did a Memcheck everything's fine there. Still Crashing

All I installed off the MoBo disk was the driver section of it and AI Suite II I think, any way to check if I have this so called auto BIOS updater installed?

Last night I ran a deep scan with Malware Bytes and it found a trojan and some and a couple of add-ware's my kid downloaded with something called flyplayer.exe I think it was a game he tried to download off one of the virus infested online kid game sites. Have't had a crash yet today but the day is young.

Going to try a different PSU today it's only 630W Raidmax I had sitting around so hope its big enough at least to see if it still crashes.

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011

Can you post a link to a download location for the boot-able stress test diagnostic I ran Memcheck and that was fine.

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
"I booted up the windows disk and did a Memcheck everything's fine there. Still Crashing " - Did it crash during testing? or did it crash after you got back into Windows.... this is very important....

jdenova007

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011

I understand if the test passes.... I need to know if it "crashes" during testing.... you should run the test for a long period of time

I do not have a link for PC check... just google for memtest..

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Thanks Swifty, I will try those things soon. I had a friend recommend since my temperatures are very tolerable at idle and full load with the Cooler Master V8 that it might not be heat(I've never seen my heat over 68 degrees even in Prime 95) but an under-voltage in the CPU with the overclock @4.5 Ghz. As I understand it each chip is different? I had the voltage at 1.35v and trying 1.36 not sure if this is a bad idea or not enough as I'm a first timer OCing, I followed a YouTube video for the same setup as mine, so another question is while blindly following this video for the OC I entered a DRAM voltage unknowing at the time, and was now just in bios and noticed its at 1.64 volts yet my GSkills ram is 1.5 volts according to specs now are these 2 not the same thing? Is 1.64 volts bad there? This is the exact memory I have http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231314

Thanks Guys I haven't said that in a while in this thread.

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Well my board has heat sinks on the NB and the SB so if the problem persists I will put a fan on the side of the case pulling in to blow on the board, it has a slot in the side window with a filter for a fan. It hasn't crashed since tweaked the voltage<Crossing fingers again>.

hillmanant

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Crashed this time while my kid was playing Minecraft, and then when he was playing Brink. Trying a fan jerry rigged into the case blowing over the NB, so will see if that helps, also cranked all the case fans to high.