Spdif audio

skrg12

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
i have one of those asus republic of gamers laptop the g72 i comes with a spdif hd audio how do i get 5.1 audio out of it . i already have the cable its a 3.5mm to optical one of those loslink . i have one of those z - 5500 sound system. i just cant get 5.1 audio out of it

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
As you do not have any replies, I shall pop in here and say you should contact their tech support or find their community and ask. I'm not familiar with laptop surround sound set ups, but I couldn't imagine 3.5mm being able to deliver full 5.1 surround to your speakers.

skrg12

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
www.amazon.com/Optical-Toslink-Fiber-Plated-Digital/dp/B001VJ680U/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1324001556&sr=8-3

this is the cable im using with the laptop it comes with optical audoi

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Okay, I mean I could be wrong, but again you are taking sound from a single source and trying to distribute it to 6 devices. Maybe if it was optical to optical... I mean, there is a reason integrated sound on MB and audio cards have several 3.5mm ports for each speaker.

skrg12

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010
the cable is optical just one end looks like a 3.5mm jack chek out the amazon link how the outlet in the laptop is designed it can use a 3.5mm headphone and a optical audio just cant get the 5.1 audio trough the laptop

Hi, if you are getting SPDIF over the optical out then the BITS are flowing.

Does any sound at all go to the SPDIF device? If no then you didn't configure output sound to be digital vs. analog. Double click the windows volumn control, click mixer, open the output device list, select digital. Make sure the digital you select is from your SOUND CARD or MB, not from your HDMI video card.

IF you set up digital correctly then your receiver (or whatever is getting the bits) is getting a clean connection, and the problem is it's not 5.1 ? Correct ? IF so Double check your audio sound settings in windows to see the speaker setup. The best way to do this is to run the sound config utility that came with your audio. For Realteck this is Realtek HD audio Manager. For sounder blaster X-fi you use the creative utility. Goto speaker setup. Could be it's forcing the output to stereo. Set to 5+1.

If this is not the solution then please post

Can you post your speaker config?

Open windows "help and support", type 'speakers', search for digital. It will tell you what to launch to see your speaker config. You may need to set to 5.1 vs. stereo.

google "Dolby Stomp 5.1 surround sound demo " and try it out.