P9X79 RAM Compatibility Question 2

I looked up specs, and that motherboard has 8 slots for DDR3 memory and says it supports up to 64GB, so I'd expect it to be compatible with 2 of those kits. I notice the memory slots are crowded up against the cpu socket, so the tall heatsinks on the memory modules could interfere with the cpu cooler (or limit your selection if you haven't chosen one yet). I'm also curious what you plan to do that requires 32GB of RAM.

Jordanmc321

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Thank you for the fast reply. I'm an extreme gamer, especially with FSX. Figured I just as well upgrade to keep things running smoothly I currently have 16GB of RAM and I can't run FSX at maximum Graphics, Scenery etc... Even though I had 2 GTX 560s and an i7 2600 @ 4.4Ghz. With RAID configurations and an SSD.

Thanks,

Jordan

Are you sure it's the RAM size holding you back? Even moving from 8gb to 16gb of ram on the motherboard rarely gives a significant increase to gaming performance. What resolution are you running at?

Jordanmc321

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
It is stretched across 3 exactly the same screens. The whole upgrade parts were Christmas presents but I had trouble with the motherboard and the new board is going to be the P9X79. The only thing was the memory I had for Christmas wasn't compatible with this board so I have to find a suitable replacement. Basically selling my original memory which was also 8x4GB sticks to get compatible ones. Also upgrading the cards to GTX660s and a i7 3820.

Thanks,

Jordan

Jordanmc321

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
Even though FSX came out in 2006 I have added loads of add ons from the best makers, so FSX runs a lot of things when I load it up. I usually get around 10-18 fps when running the PMDG 737NGX on the ground usually when it is in the air it is ok.

Thanks,

Jordan

Jordanmc321

Honorable
Dec 29, 2012
FSX was originally a 32bit program but users who update the program to SP2 or buy the acceleration pack means that their FSX can now use whatever RAM it needs. It says this in the 4th post down http://forum.avsim.net/topic/252041-fsx-memory-question-for-the-gurus/

Jordan