Sign in with
Your question
Solved

USB 3.0 Header

Last response: in Motherboards
January 15, 2013 7:55:49 PM

Hi there, I'm a long time reader and first time poster. My problem is that my case has a USB 3.0 header (20 pins), but my motherboard doesn't have any USB 3.0 connector on it, it does however have two USB 3.0 ports on the back. Can I use this cable to connect the two USB 3.0 ports on my back panel of the motherboard to the front panel of my case through the header?

More about : usb header

a b V Motherboard
January 15, 2013 8:45:43 PM

I have not come across many 20 pin female to USB (A) adapters, But I could recommended going with a PCI-E USB 3.0 card with a 20 pin header port, like this one.
m
l
January 15, 2013 9:03:08 PM

ZeroWhite said:
I have not come across many 20 pin female to USB (A) adapters, But I could recommended going with a PCI-E USB 3.0 card with a 20 pin header port, like this one.

I thought of going that route as well, but I am looking for a cheaper solution. Thanks though.
m
l
Related resources
January 15, 2013 9:10:49 PM

Yes, since USB 3.0 was not always standard, many cases come with a cable like that to connect the front panel to the rear I/O. Newer motherboards, though, for example a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 will have one USB 3 header.
If you're not going to be using the back panel much, it can be convenient to purchase one of those.
m
l
January 15, 2013 9:24:48 PM

The Indomitable said:
Yes, since USB 3.0 was not always standard, many cases come with a cable like that to connect the front panel to the rear I/O. Newer motherboards, though, for example a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 will have one USB 3 header.
If you're not going to be using the back panel much, it can be convenient to purchase one of those.

Yes, but will it work if I extended the back port to the front port through a header (the cable I linked and the USB header cable from the front panel of my case)?
m
l

Best solution

January 15, 2013 9:50:24 PM

You mean, plugging the cable you linked into the rear I/O and the 20-pin connector to the front panel cable? If so, yes it will.
January 15, 2013 11:01:18 PM

The Indomitable said:
You mean, plugging the cable you linked into the rear I/O and the 20-pin connector to the front panel cable? If so, yes it will.

Great thanks a lot, I'll go ahead and order the cable.
m
l
January 22, 2013 11:06:20 PM

Best answer selected by wolfdwood.
m
l
!