Please rate PC I want to buy.

internetswag

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Hello there, I'm new and this is my first post.

I been saving up some cash and I want to buy the following pc parts.
I can't push anymore cash into this pc without waiting another month and I don't really want to wait that long, but if I have to I will.

It's for gaming purposes mostly, all I do is that and browse the web etc. Not even running excel or anything like that.

Motherboard

Intel DH67BL LGA1155

USB Connectors: 14x USB2 | 2x USB3
CPU Socket Support: LGA1155
Chipset: H67
Number of Memory Slots: 4 (Dual Channel)
Memory Support: DDR3-1333
SATA: 3x SATA2 | 2x SATA3

I'm sure 14 USB ports is overkill. I don't really know how to tell whether a motherboard is good or not other than checking what CPU it can run so yeah... From what I hear this motherboard is very small though.

RAM - 4GB 1333 ghz (single stick I don't know if it matters that the mother board says dual channel or not.)

GPU - ATI Radeon 6850 1GB DDR5

I would have liked to go higher on the graphics card, but unfortunately I can't.

Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge

From what I understand this is a very good CPU and I don't really see any reason for me to go i7 since I'm just gaming.

What do you think? Good enough for now? If I do wait another month I could probably put another $300 into this PC.

Your thoughts please

From what I understand I apparently should not take the i5 2500k with that motherboard because I won't be able to overclock it. Is this true? can you explain why? Thanks.

Welcome to Tom's Forums!

Since you got an H67 motherboard, you could save some money by getting the I5-2500(not the K). The H67 board won't let you overclock your CPU anyway. Also, go ahead and get a second 4GB ram module(preferably in a 2x4GB kit) to enable dual channel memory access. You need two sticks to enable dual channel.

Good luck!

rmiiirusty

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
Yeah, your 1 stick would work but better to have two even if 2x2 for total of 4g is better than 1x4 .
It is the h series board that will stop you on your overclock.The board is locked and doesn't support overclocking. You should look for a p67 or z68 board if you want to overclock.
If you just want to game you really don't need to overclock anyway. As long as you have at least a dual core processor with at least 2.5g of processing power then the rest is mostly your gpu. You could keep the board you have and go as low as i3-2120 processor and save a hundred bucks towards a better gpu.
I don't know if you already have some of the parts but you will need case,mobo,cpu,psu,ram,hdd,dvdrom,maybe ssd,if you choose to o.c. with another board you will also need after market cpu cooler, and you will need an o.s. like win7 64b.
Make sure your power supply is @ least 500w and 80+ energy efficient, and better to be brand like seasinic or corsair, really cheap ones if malfunction can fry your whole system.
If you spend $160 -$180 on a board, you can get one like these with easy o.c. features.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131759
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131773
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131729
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157271

I have the first one the maximus iv gene-z and am considering a divorce from my g-friend so I can spend more time with it. i.e. I love it. I am overclocked to 4.3g at the touch of a button and should be able to push up to close to 5g. This however has nothing really to do with my gaming and is more for enthusiast hobby. I can't find anything I would really need 4.3g to do.

Your gpu you have picked is pretty descent and should allow effective play of even the newer games even if you have to lower your settings. Consider staying with a smaller monitor like a 22in widescreen for 1600x900 resolution. Still very nice and you could prob max out the settings on most games even with that gpu.

internetswag

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Thanks for the detailed replies guys :) That really answers a lot of questions.

I already have a PC, it's just so outdated that I'm practically replacing it. I have a 21.5 inch monitor and I already have 64 bit windows on my pc (my uncle bought it for me back in June I didn't even know the difference between 64 and 32 bit back then).

My current PSU is 550W.

Those motherboards look very good for their pricing, thanks for the links. I was just looking at Intel because I couldn't find anything else at the shop I was at, but this opens up a lot more possibilities.

I been thinking that perhaps I go for a slightly better motherboard, the i5 2500k and then an extra 4gb of RAM, then I'll just stick with my old ATI 5670 until the end of January, when I can upgrade.

Thanks again guys you really helped a lot :)

rmiiirusty

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

Consider with your ram to try and get the gigs you want in two dimms.

i.e. If you want 8g get 2x4g not 4x2g It works better in only 1 slot from each channel

I would stick with intel as they have far outpaced anything amd has to offer.
Also do you have the disk for your windows o.s. It usually wont work to change the board and processor out from under windows without reloading windows. I would back up my files that I wanted to save for sure and then format the drive and do a clean install of windows.

If you are looking for a good gpu and are not apposed to nvidea check this out...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220908687376?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

same card as this but much cheaper to buy

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asus-US-ENGTX550TIDCTOP-DI-1GD-Geforce-GTX550TI-1GB-PCIe2-Video-Card-PCI-e-/270867625972?_trksid=p5197.m7&_trkparms=algo%3DLVI%26itu%3DUCI%26otn%3D1%26po%3DLVI%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D4716121541680406106

Ohmybad

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2011
skip the i5 and get an i3, if you're just gaming and not folding/video editing the i3 will scream for you for 100$ less, you can take that money and put it in your GPU

lozmachine

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2011
I've put together a similar pre-built with a budget of £400 ish.

Gone for the Nvidia GTX 560 instead though, available for £148 off www.scan.co.uk
The i3 2120 will be more than sufficient and that's what I've put in for my build.

How much difference does dual channel RAM make? As you can pick up 1x4gb for £16, or 2x2GB for £19..

rmiiirusty

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011

I tried both example.4x2g (8total) win7 64b win exper score for memory 6.2 of possible 7.9
have now 2x4g (8total) win exp score for memory 7.9 of poss. 7.9
dual channel utilizes the ram better but if you fill all four slots you drop a little from total. Kinda like running sli or crossfire. second card makes better but not twice better
With ram both channels are needed to be used to max efficiency but two in each channel while better, not twice as much so

internetswag

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011

Oh dear, time to find that Windows CD again. :D Just joking I keep all my stuff in my cupboard. Thanks for your advice, I never would have thought of that.

On the rare chance that I may one day start using Fraps or something I decided I'll stick with the i5 2500k, I mean the price difference in my country is only like $80 anyways :)

Also thank you for giving me that video on the intel chipsets I ended up watching a lot of informational videos. It's also the reason I decided to go slightly larger with my overall price tag. I think I'll end up getting a P67 or Q67 instead of a H67 as well as save longer and then get a better graphics card.

Thanks again guys, you really were very helpful.

TRENDING THREADS