Sign in with
Your question

How can i get sound through GPU hdmi?

Last response: in Components
March 10, 2012 9:59:58 PM

I recently installed my radeon hd 5570 driver and my previous sound card no longer works after the reboot. That is, when I plug in my headphones to the headphone jack, the headphones are not detected (same for speakers). So I am stuck trying to get sound through the GPU's hdmi port since the headphone jack doesn't detect anything. Exactly what kind of speakers do I need to work with HDMI? I am completely clueless as to what exactly HDMI is.
I tried googling around and they say something about a home theater, which I don't have. I just have a computer and speakers. What should I do to get my sound back?
Thanks in advance!

windows xp sp3 32 bit

More about : sound gpu hdmi

March 10, 2012 10:02:13 PM

I tried reinstalling the audio drivers and rebooting to no effect. I'm currently using "AMD High Definition Audio Device" as my sound card according to speccy
m
l
March 10, 2012 10:02:48 PM

Change the devices in windows audio to your soundcard.
m
l
Related resources
March 10, 2012 10:09:38 PM

amuffin said:
Change the devices in windows audio to your soundcard.

thanks for replying
how can I get to windows audio? Do you mean device manager? Unfortunately, my audio devices are not even detected.
If I go to control panel>sounds and audio devices, it says "no audio device" with the options greyed out, even though my headphones are plugged in.
m
l
March 10, 2012 10:14:04 PM

Control Panel, then sound.
m
l
March 10, 2012 10:15:31 PM

Right click the speaker icon in the notification area and go to playback devices... choose the one that corresponds to the sound card instead of the video card.

m
l
March 10, 2012 10:23:20 PM

amuffin
When I go to control panel and then sounds and audio devices, it says no audio device and all options are greyed out. keep in mind I'm on xp, so if you are on windows 7 it may be different

lafontma
there is no speaker icon in the notification area, likely because the computer doesn't even detect my sound hardware
m
l
March 10, 2012 10:26:24 PM

Update the drivers for the sound hardware? Update windows?
m
l
March 10, 2012 11:19:23 PM

I had all my drivers upgraded through device manager. I'm probably going to end up reinstalling windows, I was thinking of getting windows 7 anyways. xp is meh
m
l
!