PSU was burnt and seemingly affected MB elements as after using new PSU got mess

vladtirus

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013
Dear hardware, BIOS and whole PC experts! Please, let me know if MB is still workable (as it is problematic to find the MB for Core I7 CPU now)..
I got a voltage (or current) surge and discovered PSU burnt. After replacing the PSU I still found Monitor not working (inactive).. After trying the video card (PCI-E 2.0) on the second slot, got the monitor back in work but soon got a message "No virtual disk, no physical disk"... I had SATA Raid-0 (mirror) on this PC . What is wrong with the MB? I would not like the data lost from the HDDs RAID ..
Very greatful to all who will help me out of this puzzle.
MB is P6T Deluxe. HDDs are Seagate Barracuda N if that specifics here matters.
Thank you.

Xttony

Distinguished
It seems the hard drive also took a hit. Disconnect both hdd and see if you get any video output in the first pcie slot. Connect the hard drive one at a time and check.

vladtirus

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Thank you xttony! I'm gonna do that and check the HDDs and the 1st slot. I had a guess that HDDs may be not harmed as I tried to detect them on another PC (also Asus MB but different Sata controller). It suggested me four or five options of rebuidlng RAID (deleting it etc) of which I concluded that the HDDS are still workable and the matter might be in the damaged Sata controller on the affected MB(?)
I'll check it now to see it better. Thank you again for support and help. Great to have this forum!

vladtirus

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Thanx, smorizio! Oh no, alas, the motherboard is not under warranty period now (over 3 years since the date of purchase- which makes the whole situation difficult, the MBs for iCore7 CPU are rare now. Need to try making the most of it and see how much the MB could be still used ans to restore data from the hard drives raid.
Just tomorrow, hopping to have more suffucient amount of time for more complex diagnostics up to your advice, guys. I may also try to ask for the asus forum help (which I'll do) but this forum is great to have.
Thanks foir your reply and ideas.
(In prospect, I want to even try using a multimeter and test the MB for failed components - that will give me idea what to do with it : leave it and use for the most of percentage it can or seek to purchase a new one)
I will report to this forum on the results sure. Later.

vladtirus

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Coming back to the problem, you may be right xttony, the HDDs seem to be affected.. Now, more detailed what I did - I ran the video card from the 1st PCI-E slot again, now the monitor was in work again. Since both of the Sata HDDs were first disconnected I ran the 3rd (IDE) HDD, the OS (Windows) loaded without any problems. Then, I connected each SATA hdd, one at a time, nothingg worked - same message of "no virtual disk etc" . But!! After I noticed that SATA disks were configured as IDE ( might be the electric shock changed the BIOS setting..) And changed it to RAID (there is also option of ANCHI) , the message "no virtual disk" stopped showing up and the process of loading stopped at the stage of resuming Windows session (I shoukd note here that the PC was in sleep mode when the electrick surge disaster happened) . But, the resuming of Windows session stopped at the BSOD saying about some "Kernel_Stack_Inpage_Error" . After I restarted PC to enter the options of safe mode etc to run correction procedure I was offered two options 1)try to continue resuming Windows session from sleep mode (which cycled up and did not come out anywhere and kept bringing to these two choices) and 2) delete the data of resuming Windows session (from sleep mode) and enter the options for OS download (I guess those that appear after F8 button is pressed during download process?) . My further question is - if I choose option 2 may I occasionally lose data on the Raid? If this brings me to suggestion to rebuild RAID shall I lose data? Can I try to run only one HDD to restore data (since it has been a 0Raid (Mirror)? And if even after the safe mode try the HDDS are not readable (spoiled readers etc) is it possible to restore data anyhow? I have a zero experience of restoring damaged HDDs. I'll appreciate further help and clues. I feel relieved the MB looks to be completely undamaged! And it must be the HDDs (SATA at that only, as IDE drive is OK) that have been touched by the shock. Thank you again for guiding me!

vladtirus

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Smorizio, please see the details of the situation in my reply to xttony, and if you may suggest any further steps from this point. How could I revive the sata raid and restore (or at least safely transfer the data to another raid or ide hdd) I also appreciate your help. Thank you. The MB looks to be whole and working , a real relief for me as replacing a MB is almost replacing the whole PC. .

Xttony

Distinguished
You cannot resume windows at this point from your hard drives so it is better do a fresh startup(delete windows resume settings).
File recovery
Try to load into the OS from the other IDE drive that worked, then plug in the damaged hard drives while the OS is on.(I've done it a lot of times it doesnot harm any component of the computer. Go to device manager > right click > scan for hardware changes. If the hard drives are detected and the partitions show and are accessible then backup whatever you can, if the partitions are accessible the install a software called partitionguru and it might help you to do that. If the hard drives are not detected you have to continue with boot from raid drives.

Startup from damages drives
Connect them and boot it up(IDE drive disconnected)
Better go with the second option - delete resume data(I don't think that this will work but it certainly worth a try)
Go fr a fresh installation.
It is better that you format the entire drive(all partitions)

vladtirus

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

Thanks, xttony. Thinking on following this way as you suggested. I still wonder if the "hot" connection of SATA hdds is safe (you sure they won't be harmed?I mean you had the same type of drives (sata) connected to ide working??) I just care much not to lose data. Another doubt is that even after safe connecting sata drives it may be required to restart OS (it seems to me , just like each time you install a new driver or other hardware accessory computers needa to restart.. And after the restart the ide drive won't be seen again (since sata drives are primary in the boot sequence ), so the attempt me be failing. I will try any way.
Another question. If I do not manage to back up the sata drives contents from ide drive, you mean, formatting the sata raid from the start up on sata drives is going to delete all my data? Which is unwanted. Is there any other way to recover data from sata raid drives (or one drive since this was a mirror raid)? BTW, if I just rebuild raid (as it was offered when I connected this couple on another pc) shall I also lose sata that were on the raid?)
And additional question on possibility of memory sticks being affected: I noticed that it is only one slot that is having a blue light of indicator shining on the MB now , the 2nd and the 3rd are not shining. Is it correct or may mean that the other two memory slots are affected? In BIOS I still see the indication of the memory amount as 3 GB , or may be it is just a description of full capacity of memory block there??) Could check if all 3 (or more) slots ae supposed to be shining with by-side indicator. Well, thank you again! Appreciating your help and guodance very much as the situation with many unknown questions for me.
I'll prepare to try you algorythm. Hope, the hdds won't be completely ruined after the "hot"connection)

vladtirus

Honorable
Jan 15, 2013

OK. It looks like the sata hdds as physical units are normal but the volume of raid needs to be restored. How could I do that most safe way, xttony?
Now, about the process. I made hot connection (it works indeed! Thank you for the tip) but I tried only one sata drive first (for occasion it becomes damaged after hot connection) the start up process offered me a ctrl-i (entering sata configuration menu first) facility, which I did not try for now, then the one connected sata drive details were shown and the ide (pata) drive downloaded windows as before. In addition to that, I got a pop-up box of Intel Matrix storage utility (where all hdds and raids can be well see) prompting me that one hdd must be missing and the volume (raid) is not possible. At that I switched to advanced view mode and it said that the physical hdds (each with its own details, specifics etc) are in "normal condition". But when I selected RAID line (Raid1, raid2 , as configured by me as far as I remember ) it said in the right panel that the volume had failure.
So, then I hotly connected the 2nd sata hdd, which worked ok, and now both sata hdds were seen in the window of the software but the raid line (in its right panel) was saying that the volume is still failed and I need to restore the volume. So, the question for nme now is how safely restore the raid volume. Backing up the data is not possible for now, so how to restore raid and not lose data?
Which way is it better: enter ctrl-I menu (raid configuring) from the start or return to windows session resuming menu (2 options as I mentioned before) and delete the resuming data to come to F8 menu utility (safe start etc) . I am just not sure if rebiulding a raid volume would not terminate all my data in the prevoiously created volume. What would you suggest, xttony?
Thank you again. Looking forward to your message.
Ps. As for device manager at control panel, it only showed the ide drive, raid1 and raid2 (3 lines only), not showing any physical driv es of sata. I do not know what it means. Any way, I found the intel matrix storage utility quite helpfulb at this stage.