Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Any system tweaks to boost cpu? my radeon hd 6670 is bottlenecked.

Last response: in CPUs
Share
March 10, 2012 11:29:49 PM

My amd radeon hd 6670 is getting bottlecked by my amd athlon x2 3.5ghz (its actually a amd phenom ii 521 3.5ghz from one of the Hp Pavilion p6000 series models. I found out it was just rebranded... -_-...)

are there any tweaks i can do to reduce the bottleneck so i can maybe squeeze a little more fps and reduce the lag spikes without having to buy a whole new processor and motherboard? (motherboard only supports a 95watt tdp so..... -_-)
a b à CPUs
March 10, 2012 11:37:04 PM

Your CPU isn't bottlenecking it if it is an Athlon II X2.
m
0
l
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 10, 2012 11:53:24 PM

HostileDonut said:
Your CPU isn't bottlenecking it if it is an Athlon II X2.


It may be if hes playing at too low of a resolution.

If not then he is playing at a high enough res that the GPU is the bottleneck.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 11, 2012 12:13:58 AM

i think it is, no matter what settings i have it on my fps doesnt change and my game stutters every few seconds. (btw, my monitor is 1600x900 and thats what i play on)

and in the task manager i can see that my cpu usage jumps around from 20% to 80%
also, in the windows experience index my processor got a 6.7 but then both graphics and gaming graphics got a 6.8.

can you guys just help me? im pretty sure its a bottleneck cause my friend who has the same graphics card as me has a amd phenom x4 955 3.2ghz can get quiet a lot more fps than me and no stuttering like im getting.
and his gpu scores for the windows experience index is over 7.0 (around 7.2 or so)
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 12:24:43 AM

The WEI means absolutely nothing. Ignore it. If you can only max your CPU to 80% and your GPU goes 100%, your GPU is the bottleneck, not the CPU.
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 12:30:24 AM

Can someone just help me boost my cpu? -_-...

I know i should be getting more fps because my friend who has the saammme graphics card can get way more fps than me with his amd phenom 955 x4 3.2ghz

for example, in gta 4 i only get 25-30 and it stutters on all low (its the same for everything maxed out). but for my friend he can get over 70 fps outside, and a can reach a little over 100 in the interiors.
m
0
l
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 11, 2012 12:36:06 AM

GTA IV is using a pretty bad engine. It will not run well on systems using anything less than 3 cores (since it was coded with the 360 in mine) and less than 1GB of VRAM.

There is no real way to make GTA IV run decent on your system short of you upgrading the CPU.
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 12:43:26 AM

Oh, well theres another game im having problems with. me and my friend play this multiplayer mod for gta san andreas called Multi Theft Auto, and on a server me and my friend like to play on a lot i get a average of 40-60 and stutters in populated areas with a lot of cars and buildings.

where as my friend gets 85fps flat which is the fps limit, no stuttering.

its like that for all the other servers too, i get 40-60 with stuttering and my friend reaches the fps limit, which in some cases can be 100 because thats the max setting you can set it to for a server.
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 11, 2012 1:07:13 AM

Jdm13oiZz said:
Oh, well theres another game im having problems with. me and my friend play this multiplayer mod for gta san andreas called Multi Theft Auto, and on a server me and my friend like to play on a lot i get a average of 40-60 and stutters in populated areas with a lot of cars and buildings.

where as my friend gets 85fps flat which is the fps limit, no stuttering.

its like that for all the other servers too, i get 40-60 with stuttering and my friend reaches the fps limit, which in some cases can be 100 because thats the max setting you can set it to for a server.

Simply because he has a better processor than you.
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 1:16:06 AM

Like everyone said, there is no real way to upgrade your overall performance if you're not willing to sink your money. Aside from curiosity of what preset you use for the display options, I get the impression your setup are not bottleneck by neither, care if you tell us your memory? Is it runs on Dual Channel or not? And please be detail about this. You can find out for this on BIOS screen. Or just jack it out your PC and read it for us.

Essentially to run any games at best, any PC setup need at least 4GB. About 1GB alone is being fed up for OS and systems. AFAIK, GTA IV would at least requires about 1-2GB memory, and expanding to some extent with more times spent. Any less than that, you can expect some stuttering here and there. And if being fed by the right setup and amount of memory, your spec is very capable to pull off at least somewhere around 60-70 fps at your screen, at medium and without AA.
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 1:33:55 AM

rush21hit said:
Like everyone said, there is no real way to upgrade your overall performance if you're not willing to sink your money. Aside from curiosity of what preset you use for the display options, I get the impression your setup are not bottleneck by neither, care if you tell us your memory? Is it runs on Dual Channel or not? And please be detail about this. You can find out for this on BIOS screen. Or just jack it out your PC and read it for us.

Essentially to run any games at best, any PC setup need at least 4GB. About 1GB alone is being fed up for OS and systems. AFAIK, GTA IV would at least requires about 1-2GB memory, and expanding to some extent with more times spent. Any less than that, you can expect some stuttering here and there. And if being fed by the right setup and amount of memory, your spec is very capable to pull off at least somewhere around 60-70 fps at your screen, at medium and without AA.


its the normal ram that came with my Hp Pavillion p6823w, which is 4gb. Although for some reason, whenever i do a test on canyourunit it says i only have 3.5gb and for my friend who has 4gb too it says 4gb. I guess that means my ram isnt that
good?

okay i went into the bios and it said for installed memory 4096mb / Pc3-10600 then under it, it says memorybank 1: none memorybank 2: none, memory bank 3: 4096mb DDR3 Sdram, memory bank 4: none.

oh and yes, its dual channel.

m
0
l
March 11, 2012 1:48:14 AM

So it's physically just a single module? Dude, no wonder why you got stuttered.

Neglecting its size, a single channel memory is like a road way with only one lane to go. The data flow if say them as cars, needs to run one at the time. And that gives a high latency. Go figures.

Now, what you need to do is, take out that RAM, go to nearest PC shop and show it to the clerk and ask another one just like it. Same spec, same brand, same speed and then jack it up as Dual Channel.

See the magic.

edit: I didn't read that 3,5 part lol, with that much memory setup you MUST move to 64bit OS. 32bit OS would still recognize them as 3,5GB RAM at maxed.
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 11, 2012 1:51:55 AM

It is because your ram is running at single channel! You need another stick of 4gb!
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 1:53:53 AM

rush21hit said:
So it's physically just a single module? Dude, no wonder why you got stuttered.

Neglecting its size, a single channel memory is like a road way with only one lane to go. The data flow if say them as cars, needs to run one at the time. And that gives a high latency. Go figures.

Now, what you need to do is, take out that RAM, go to nearest PC shop and show it to the clerk and ask another one just like it. Same spec, same brand, same speed and then jack it up as Dual Channel.

See the magic.

edit: I didn't read that 3,5 part lol, with that much memory setup you MUST move to 64bit OS. 32bit OS would still recognize them as 3,5GB RAM at maxed.


my system is windows 7 home premium 64bit, if thats the case than i guess i should go buy some ram, ill upgrade to 8gb. Btw, does it matter if i get "gaming" ram like the corsair vengance? or could i just get the cheapest ones? will it be the same outcome if i got the cheapest ram instead of the "gaming" ram?
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 3:03:26 AM

Well, essentially a 2x2GB setup is good enough for most cases unless you do multitasking like crazy, which is unlikely by judging what your CPU capable of.

So go for something like that. Or going crazy with another stick of that same memory module for 2x4GB madness. Eventually at some point in near future, you would consider to put 2 more cores on your CPU, if you know what I mean :) 
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 3:14:35 AM

Yeah, ill upgrade the cpu eventually but thats going to cost quiet a bit of money... I might even have to upgrade my motherboard too because ill be pretty limited to what cpu i can buy because of the 95watt max tdp my motherboard has.

and btw are you sure dual channel really going to help my stuttering and boost my fps a bit?
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 3:23:18 AM

You could expect a noticeable performance boost. Still, I'm not sure how much fps you'd get though, but I expect somewhere between 60-80fps.
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 3:28:31 AM

before modifying anything on ur motherboard/cpu/bios try this first.

Gamebooster.

Its a freeware program from Iobit that closes all kinds of unneeded processes and services from windows while u are gaming , it is really good software u will get a significant boost increase from it . When u are playing a game u are running Windows + The game that ur playing, this software cuts windows in half!

Try that first before u start fiddeling with things u might regret.

Here is the link.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

expect + 10-20 fps!
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 3:32:13 AM

cm0scm0s said:
before modifying anything on ur motherboard/cpu/bios try this first.

Gamebooster.

Its a freeware program from Iobit that closes all kinds of unneeded processes and services from windows while u are gaming , it is really good software u will get a significant boost increase from it .

Try that first before u start fiddeling with things u might regret.

Here is the link.

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

expect + 10-20 fps!


ive already used it, ive downloaded it and i looked at all the system services that it stops, went to msconfig and disabled all those then i uninstalled gamebooster. I did that so i wouldnt have to run gamebooster in the backround and wouldnt have to keep clicking boost everytime i start my pc up.

im a processes whore, i goto the task manager and always try to keep it under 35 or so lol.. (with windows xp i could get it down to 14 haha xD)
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 3:34:37 AM

rush21hit said:
You could expect a noticeable performance boost. Still, I'm not sure how much fps you'd get though, but I expect somewhere between 60-80fps.


oh i hope so, if it doesnt really do anything, at least id be pretty happy with my faster load times :D 
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 11, 2012 3:37:23 AM

Just buy another stick of 4gb ram.
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 3:45:21 AM

amuffin said:
Just buy another stick of 4gb ram.


dont they have to be exactly the same? or can i just go on newegg and buy a 4gb stick thats the same type?
m
0
l
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 11, 2012 5:53:32 AM

Jdm13oiZz said:
would this ram work for my system? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Ewww. Thats just cheap.

I can't do that.

But honestly you want matching RAM. When I bought my Vengance, I bought all 4 sticks at the same time to guarantee compatibility. You don't want to mix and match as stability goes down the drain.

What do you have right now?
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 6:02:38 AM

i just got the stock ram that came with the Hp Pavilion P6823w (1 stick of 4gb). its green like that one.
m
0
l
a c 186 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 11, 2012 6:28:10 AM

Just spend 50 for the corsair vengeance 8gb kit.
m
0
l
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 11, 2012 6:45:21 AM

amuffin said:
Just spend 50 for the corsair vengeance 8gb kit.


Well worth every penny. Corsair is the name for RAM really. Always works, almost never goes bad (in fact I have not seen any bad Corsair in my time with PCs) and is always stable at rated specs, sometimes at even lower specs (my XMS2 1066 ran at DDR2 1333 using 4-4-4-12 when it was rated at 5-5-5-18).
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 7:10:39 AM

ah okay, ill go ahead and just get the corsair vengeance 8gb kit then..
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 7:30:12 AM

Jdm13oiZz said:
Yeah, ill upgrade the cpu eventually but thats going to cost quiet a bit of money... I might even have to upgrade my motherboard too because ill be pretty limited to what cpu i can buy because of the 95watt max tdp my motherboard has.

and btw are you sure dual channel really going to help my stuttering and boost my fps a bit?


no way, duel channel will not help.
None of your part seems to bottleneck otherone, your cpu and gpu are not suficient to get 60fps, You need a new gpu + cpu to se difference,
apply patch 1.0.7 to gta4 to see significant fps boost.
I have phenom2 x6 + hd6770 (both overclocked) and i can only get constant 70fps inside and outside at lowest possible settings on gta4 v1.0.0

List the system specification of your friend with cpuz screenshots, it seems that your friend is using a 6770 or better gpu
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 8:02:35 AM

Jdm13oiZz said:
oh i hope so, if it doesnt really do anything, at least id be pretty happy with my faster load times :D 


huh, loading times depends on read/wright and random i/o ops of your hdd or ssd, i does not depends on ram.

So what to do.
You can save some pocket money to build a ivy + hd7 or gtx6 setup in second half of this year.
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 10:21:39 AM

truegenius said:
no way, duel channel will not help.
None of your part seems to bottleneck otherone, your cpu and gpu are not suficient to get 60fps, You need a new gpu + cpu to se difference,
apply patch 1.0.7 to gta4 to see significant fps boost.
I have phenom2 x6 + hd6770 (both overclocked) and i can only get constant 70fps inside and outside at lowest possible settings on gta4 v1.0.0

List the system specification of your friend with cpuz screenshots, it seems that your friend is using a 6770 or better gpu


hes definently using a 6670 ive seen it. as for the fps in gta 4 he was on a skype call showing his screen to me with fraps running, when he looks all the way down in the interiors his fps can reach over 100.

my friend bought this cyberpower pc http://www.walmart.com/ip/CyberPower-1TB-GUA140/1667233... then stuck this 6670 in. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 1:33:55 PM

:o  more than 100 fps
even my setup can't get this much fps at lowest possible settings with gpu overclocked to 1000/1400 and cpu to 4ghz on all six cores.

So try patch 1.0.7 for gta4.
Duel channel will only give a max of ~5fps boost (not upto 80fps from 30).

If your friend is using v1.0.0 of gta4 and still getting 100fps at that setup then i think that your friend is lying.
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 9:26:53 PM

truegenius said:
:o  more than 100 fps
even my setup can't get this much fps at lowest possible settings with gpu overclocked to 1000/1400 and cpu to 4ghz on all six cores.

So try patch 1.0.7 for gta4.
Duel channel will only give a max of ~5fps boost (not upto 80fps from 30).

If your friend is using v1.0.0 of gta4 and still getting 100fps at that setup then i think that your friend is lying.


hes using patch 2, and no joke. He showed me his screen on a skype call with fraps on so i could see how much fps he was getting and it was really over 100 when he looked down in the interiors.

btw his monitor size is like 1366x768 or something like that. and if windows experience index actually has some sort of meaning, all his scores were over 7.0 except for harddrive which got a 5.9.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 9:32:11 PM

Jdm13oiZz said:
hes using patch 2, and no joke. He showed me his screen on a skype call with fraps on so i could see how much fps he was getting and it was really over 100 when he looked down in the interiors.

btw his monitor size is like 1366x768 or something like that. and if windows experience index actually has some sort of meaning, all his scores were over 7.0 except for harddrive which got a 5.9.

yeah, pretty much all drives are 5.9 unless you are using an SDD. WEI means nothing. Just, forget it is even there.
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 9:47:05 PM

HostileDonut said:
yeah, pretty much all drives are 5.9 unless you are using an SDD. WEI means nothing. Just, forget it is even there.


Oh okay.... I just feel like it has some sort of purpose behind it because it makes me wonder why that feature would even be in there if its concidered useless... lol
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 10:01:26 PM

Jdm13oiZz said:
Oh okay.... I just feel like it has some sort of purpose behind it because it makes me wonder why that feature would even be in there if its concidered useless... lol

Well, I believe they put it there so you can "see" how good your system is, but really, hardware moves so quickly, and it does a bad job of figuring it out. Plus, who does it on a scale of 0-7.9? Haha :lol: 
m
0
l
March 11, 2012 11:02:58 PM

HostileDonut said:
Well, I believe they put it there so you can "see" how good your system is, but really, hardware moves so quickly, and it does a bad job of figuring it out. Plus, who does it on a scale of 0-7.9? Haha :lol: 


haha, yeah. never really thought about it that way.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 11:11:05 PM

CPU is bottlenecking - I can testify. Athlon II X2 bottlenecks any card - Especially in a CPU-bound game like GTA4. Get a Phenom II X4 or go LGA 1155 - I am next year.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 11:12:21 PM

jessterman21 said:
CPU is bottlenecking - I can testify. Athlon II X2 bottlenecks any card - Especially in a CPU-bound game like GTA4. Get a Phenom II X4 or go LGA 1155 - I am next year.

That's cause you are using a hd6870 and that CPU..... Also, you have a low resolution. Not any card, just a powerful one like yours. And yes, a more powerful CPU will help him, but his GPU isn't bottlenecking it.
m
0
l
a c 127 à CPUs
a b À AMD
March 11, 2012 11:30:15 PM

HostileDonut said:
That's cause you are using a hd6870 and that CPU..... Also, you have a low resolution. Not any card, just a powerful one like yours. And yes, a more powerful CPU will help him, but his GPU isn't bottlenecking it.


You are right. His GPU may not be bottlenecking but his CPU is holding him back, in GTA4 at least. Not sure about GTA SA, it was out well before multi cored consoles were so it may just be a bug.
m
0
l
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 12:22:06 AM

HostileDonut said:
That's cause you are using a hd6870 and that CPU..... Also, you have a low resolution. Not any card, just a powerful one like yours. And yes, a more powerful CPU will help him, but his GPU isn't bottlenecking it.

Yeah, hate it for myself - talked to folks on here about what to spend my $175 on after Xmas and everyone said a better GPU to play the games I want to. I upgraded from an HD 5670, and there's definitely improvement - I can turn all games up to ultra, but there's still drops and stutters because of my weak CPU. A lot of games are playable, but Dirt 3, Crysis 2 DX11, Prince of Persia, Starcraft II, and Mafia II do not like my dual-core. Getting LGA 1155 ASAP.
m
0
l
!