Sign in with
Your question

CPU Help

Last response: in CPUs
March 10, 2012 11:42:49 PM

Hello. I have had an ASUS M4A785TD-V_EVO for about a month and ever since I finished building my computer, there have been some problems.

Problem One: Whenever I start up my computer, it says a Marvel thing error and it says cannot detect the hard drive (even though it is working and I am typing this with my computer right now).

Problem Two: I have an AMD Phenom II X4 960T and when I go to Device Manager, it says AMD Processor Unknown Model 4 times (because it's a Quad Core I THINK).

Problem Three: The GHz is at 803 instead of 3.0 GHz.

Problem Four: I have 6 GB of RAM installed and it says I 3.25 is usable.

I also have Windows 7 32 Bit installed. The thing is I can game really good but it isn't detectable and it is really bothering me.

Can someone please help me?

Thanks. :D 

More about : cpu

a c 126 à CPUs
March 11, 2012 12:05:23 AM

Problem one: Its not an error its just that you have no device hooked up to the Marvel SATA controller. If you want the message to go away, you need to disable the Marvel controller in the BIOS.

Problem two: You probably don't have the proper BIOS for support of your CPU:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&...

Download the latest BIOS and flash yours to it. Your mobo needs at least BIOS version 2005 to support that CPU. Without it, the mobo will run with the CPU but not know what it is model wise.

Problem three: The speed is lower when idle because of AMD Cool 'N' Quiet. Its a technology that throttles the CPUs multiplier and voltage to lower power usage when you are not using the CPU. If you put a load on the CPU, it will jump to its full speed.

Probelm four: You have just the exact amount of RAM that your OS can use. A 32Bit OS can only allocate up to 4GB of total system RAM, including system memory, VRAM and any other memory types. Most of the time if you have 4GB in a 32Bit OS, you will only be able to use 3.25GB of the system RAM.

In order to use 4GB or more, or in your case 6GB, you need to install Windows 7 64Bit.

There ya go.
m
l
Related resources
March 11, 2012 3:24:40 AM

Thanks but I don't think I wanna upgrade to 64bit because then I'll have to reformat. :/ 
m
l
March 11, 2012 3:25:53 AM

jimmysmitty said:
Problem one: Its not an error its just that you have no device hooked up to the Marvel SATA controller. If you want the message to go away, you need to disable the Marvel controller in the BIOS.

Problem two: You probably don't have the proper BIOS for support of your CPU:

http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&...

Download the latest BIOS and flash yours to it. Your mobo needs at least BIOS version 2005 to support that CPU. Without it, the mobo will run with the CPU but not know what it is model wise.

Problem three: The speed is lower when idle because of AMD Cool 'N' Quiet. Its a technology that throttles the CPUs multiplier and voltage to lower power usage when you are not using the CPU. If you put a load on the CPU, it will jump to its full speed.

Probelm four: You have just the exact amount of RAM that your OS can use. A 32Bit OS can only allocate up to 4GB of total system RAM, including system memory, VRAM and any other memory types. Most of the time if you have 4GB in a 32Bit OS, you will only be able to use 3.25GB of the system RAM.

In order to use 4GB or more, or in your case 6GB, you need to install Windows 7 64Bit.

There ya go.

I forgot to mention that when I first got it, my MIC was working fine. Then it just refuses to work. Also when I download the latest BIOS version it doesn't download 2 files (the .exe and bin) it only downloads a ROM file.
m
l
a c 126 à CPUs
March 11, 2012 6:49:23 AM

xRockstar56x said:
I forgot to mention that when I first got it, my MIC was working fine. Then it just refuses to work. Also when I download the latest BIOS version it doesn't download 2 files (the .exe and bin) it only downloads a ROM file.

Asus doesn't use Windows or CD based BIOS flashes anymore. You want to download the ROM file, copy it to a flash drive and put the flash drive into a USB port. Then restart the PC, pres the Delete button to get to the BIOS.

From there you go to "Tools" highlight Asus EZ-Flash.

Once in there, you will probably need to select the flash drive, press TAB and look to the left. Your flash drive will be listed there. Select it, then select the ROM file. It will ask if you want to read it, press ok. Then it will veryify the file and ask if you want to flash it. Press ok. Wait a bit and it will finish then restart and there ya go. All updated.

As for the mic, hard to say. But make sure you have the latest sound card drivers installed from the same site.
m
l
!