Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ram isn't recognized and computer wont boot (sometimes)

Last response: in Memory
January 15, 2013 9:46:29 PM

So earlier today I opened up my computer to clean it, Everything was fine, I booted it up and as usual I had a "Cpu Initialization error", It happens every time I unplug or open my computer, or remove any part of it, ram, gpu, etc. This happened but when I finally got it to boot, Windows only recognized 4GB of ram, in single channel running at 798mhz, Basically My computer wont recognize Slot A1 when it has two sticks of ram in it, So if I have a single stick in slot A1 computer boots fine, If i have a stick in slot A1 and B1 for dual channel mode, it will not recognize the ram in slot A, also my rams timings were at 8-8-8-24 now I have the ram in slot a2 and b2 running in dual channel but the timing is 11-11-11-28. I have no idea what the issue is and I have no idea if its the motherboard or ram doing it, Please help me, Thank you

Motherboard: Asrock P67 Extreme 4 Gen 3
Ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... (Rip jaws x 1600mhz 8-8-8-24)
Cpu I7 2600k
gpu 6970

I always had my ram in Slot A1 and B1 and it ran at 1600mhz and 8-8-8-24 timings, how can i fix this, Is it the ram or motherboard ? Should I rma the motherboard, (2nd asrock motherboard, had to send first one back due to dead ram slot).

Thanks for help

(Edit) I had to Clear CMOS and I got ram back to dual channel in Slot A1 and B1 Working, But the Ram timing's are very messed up, they are 11-11-11-28 when they're supposed to be 8-8-8-24 Please help with this, thanks
a b } Memory
January 16, 2013 12:27:08 AM

If the ram cards are working properly don't change the timings. As changing them wont give you any observable speed boost. Also lower timings is better.
m
l
January 16, 2013 4:54:20 AM

Xttony said:
If the ram cards are working properly don't change the timings. As changing them wont give you any observable speed boost. Also lower timings is better.

I changed the timings back to default in the bios, they're default timings are 8-8-8-24 instead of 11-11-11-28. I just don't know why my motherboard did this, its not my ram because both sticks work fine, somehow the motherboard changed the timings and wouldn't recognize them sometimes, not to mention the cpu initialization error. I'm just wondering if I should rma my motherboard, I also lost my 4.2ghz oc on my cpu, Now its back at 3.4ghz and I have no idea how to oc because a friend did it for me, is 3.4 to 4.2ghz a significant gain in performance ? I really don't notice a difference
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
January 16, 2013 6:18:02 PM

Your motherboard is fine.
You can overclock the processor by increasing the multiplier or increasing the BLCK but I strongly recommend that you don't. Since you didn't experience any significant speed gain before it is recommended that you don't do it.
While installing ram the motherboard will match the ram frequency with the fsb speeds and ret the timings accordingly. If you change the timings you also need to change the frequency. Also see that the voltage is set properly.
January 17, 2013 4:00:45 AM

Xttony said:
Your motherboard is fine.
You can overclock the processor by increasing the multiplier or increasing the BLCK but I strongly recommend that you don't. Since you didn't experience any significant speed gain before it is recommended that you don't do it.
While installing ram the motherboard will match the ram frequency with the fsb speeds and ret the timings accordingly. If you change the timings you also need to change the frequency. Also see that the voltage is set properly.

Alright thanks, I found a great guide for OC'ing here on tomshardware, so I'll be good, also the way I changed the ram timings was, I set the xmp profile to 1 which was 8-8-8-24 @ 1.50V, Gskill said something like these ram sticks are not plug and play you have to manually set the volts and other stuff to run them at advertised speeds, What I'm saying is my settings for Dram Volts was probably not 1.5v So when I set it to auto it automatically underclocked the ram to 1333mhz and set the timings lower because it wasn't at the right voltage, So for now I use the Xmp profile 1 which works fine for me and its at 798mhz x2 so basically 1600mhz at the correct timings, thanks for the answers
m
l
January 17, 2013 4:00:52 AM

Best answer selected by tony245.
m
l
!