Sign in with
Your question

Mid-high end Gaming rig

Last response: in Systems
December 6, 2011 5:28:19 PM

Hey everyone,

I've been out of the desktop PC realm for about 10 years now but I am currently looking to build a gaming rig after purchasing BF3 and not being able to run it smoothly on my 3 year old Asus M50VM laptop.

Approximate Purchase Date: Within the next two months

Budget Range: ~$2000

System Usage: mostly gaming

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg.ca, tigerdirect.ca, ncix.com, memoryexpress.com, canadacomputers.com, directcanada.com

Parts Preference: Open to any/all suggestions

Overclocking: Not immediately

SLI or X-Fire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 42" LG LCD for now so 1080P (1920 x 1080)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU:
Intel i7-2700K (Purchased already through retail edge)

Motherboard:
ASRock Extreme7 Gen3 or Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z (haven't come to a decision/can't make up my mind)

RAM:
G. Skill Ripjaws X F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL 2x4GB (open to other suggestions)

SSD:
OCZ Vertex 3 (VTX3-25SAT3-120G); just looking to use as OS drive

Graphics:
Dual SLI GTX570 (EVGA GeForce GTX 570 HD Fermi-want the HDMI output not the mini-HDMI) but open to other suggestions

Case:
Thermaltake Level10 GT (already purchased)

CPU Cooler:
No extra for now since not overclocking immediately

PSU:
Corsair HX850

Hope I didn't miss anything and just looking for feedback on the build.

Thanks,

Jay
December 6, 2011 6:11:37 PM

Looks great to me. However, I would get a better CPU cooler now, because replacing it later would require taking the motherboard out.
m
l
December 6, 2011 6:51:38 PM

you can save some money going

ASRock Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E SATA3 USB3.0 SLI CrossFireX Motherboard

and

XFX 850W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2011 7:09:26 PM

I have the maximus iv gene-z in this system I just built a couple of weeks ago and love it. I cant say about the asrock boards but I hear good on those as well.

You should be able to play BF3 with one good sized card like
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It is extremely good and could crossfire later when the price drops if nec. Otherwise you will probably want @ least $200+ cards for the sli and be limited to the max output of that. Still gonna spend the cash.

I built my whole system for half your budget soyou should do well with 2k
m
l
December 6, 2011 7:34:03 PM

rmiiirusty said:
You should be able to play BF3 with one good sized card like

It is extremely good and could crossfire later when the price drops if nec. Otherwise you will probably want @ least $200+ cards for the sli and be limited to the max output of that. Still gonna spend the cash.

Not only is the matrix card is very expensive, but it is a triple slot card, which is really inconvenient. Believe, I own a triple slot card. With that price he could get himself a 590 or as he intended, dual 570's.
m
l
December 6, 2011 7:37:23 PM

DXRick said:
Looks great to me. However, I would get a better CPU cooler now, because replacing it later would require taking the motherboard out.

Precisely. Now then Hw4ng3r, are you interested in watercooling or air cooling?
m
l
December 6, 2011 8:36:37 PM

I personally think that the maximus iv gene-z is a bad choice on this budget. Micro-ATX boards are not usually the best choice if you have a case that will fit a full ATX board. Also, the maximus iv gene-z is an ROG board which isn't really worth the money unless you plan on using that feature. I think that the Extreme7 is exactly the right motherboard for this application and this price range.

I'm going to put in a vote for the SLI of GTX570's. Seems like the best option to me. You could cut some corners in certain places and probably fit an SLI of GTX580's (cheaper motherboard, cut the SSD, cheaper case), but the 570's will be great.

I say don't go with the Vertex drive. They have reliability issues and aren't noticeably faster than more reliable drives. I recommend the Corsair M4 128GB or the Samsung 830 128GB drives.
m
l
December 6, 2011 8:40:04 PM

avieor said:
Precisely. Now then Hw4ng3r, are you interested in watercooling or air cooling?

Thanks for all of the feedback...

Was looking for air cooling.... Suggestions on CPU cooler?

On a completely separate note.... any major differences between the PCIe 16x 16x and PCIe 8x 8x for the SLI? I believe the Extreme7 Gen3 is 16x 16x which is what drew me to that board but if there's no real differences, I should save a few bucks and go with the Extreme3 Gen3 or even the Extreme4 Gen3?

Jay
m
l
December 6, 2011 8:50:41 PM

drunkducki said:
you can save some money going

ASRock Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 ATX LGA1155 DDR3 2PCI-E16 2PCI-E SATA3 USB3.0 SLI CrossFireX Motherboard

and

XFX 850W Core Edition Single Rail ATX 12V 70A 24PIN ATX Power Supply 80PLUS Bronze

Actually... The HX850 is on sale right now here in Canada with mail in rebate for $155 so I thought I'd jump on that; I've only read good things about the Corsair...
m
l
December 6, 2011 9:39:59 PM

16x/16x vs 8x/8x you wont tell the difference

air cooling i recommend coolermaster hyper 212 plus or, if you want something better, noctua nh-d14

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=63239&vpn=P1850SNLB9&... - $79.99 AR

xfx PSUs are as good as corsair's

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=...

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=62223&vpn=P1850BNLG9&... or the Pro edition - $109.99 AR

m
l
December 6, 2011 9:54:30 PM

DXRick said:

+1 Consider the Hyper 212 Evo. 35 dollars.

Stay away from OCZ, go to their forums and look at the problems their. Go with the earlier stated Crucial M4 or Samsung. Intel is also extremely reliable but is even more expensive.

Can't believe you have bought a Level 10GT and 2700k, I feel those are overpriced. But the best cost the most. :D  Just had to say it...

Anyways ASRock is fine. Extreme 3 Gen 3 is really a good board, but you like choosing really high end components so you might want to look at ASUS's Z68 ROG boards. I wouldn't pay the premium. But that's because I wouldn't be able to pay for it... :D 

Don't consider SLI 580's on 850w if you plan on oc'ing... That's what other people have said though, I have no experience SLI'ing 580's. Or any SLI for that matter.

Quote:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6814121467

It is extremely good and could crossfire later when the price drops if nec

SLI? But ya 580's in SLI would be amazing. Just get a double slot card if SLI'ing. Haven't heard really good things about triple slot cards in SLI.

m
l
December 6, 2011 9:56:29 PM

Re-read original post. Since SLI'ing, definitely get corsair's 1050 for future sli of 580's.

Than get a Aftermarket cooler now.

Crucial M4/Samsung/Intel SSD.

And possibly ASRock Extreme 3 gen 3.

If it were my boat that's what I would do.
m
l
December 6, 2011 10:15:00 PM

danraies said:
I personally think that the maximus iv gene-z is a bad choice on this budget. Micro-ATX boards are not usually the best choice if you have a case that will fit a full ATX board. Also, the maximus iv gene-z is an ROG board which isn't really worth the money unless you plan on using that feature. I think that the Extreme7 is exactly the right motherboard for this application and this price range.

I'm going to put in a vote for the SLI of GTX570's. Seems like the best option to me. You could cut some corners in certain places and probably fit an SLI of GTX580's (cheaper motherboard, cut the SSD, cheaper case), but the 570's will be great.

I say don't go with the Vertex drive. They have reliability issues and aren't noticeably faster than more reliable drives. I recommend the Corsair M4 128GB or the Samsung 830 128GB drives.

ON A BUDGET OF 2000K HE COULD ALMOST GO WITH THE NEW I7-9530K AND A 2011 BOARD, BESIDES THE MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z IS ONLY $169.00, MAYBE $184.00 NCIX CANADA. EXTREME QUALITY WITH ALL FEATURES OF FULL ATX INCLUDING SLI OR CROSSFIRE. tHE ONLY THING YOU DON'T HAVE IS 3WAY SLI/CR FR. THE AZROCK BOARD IS NICE TO THOUGH AND IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT.
m
l
December 7, 2011 12:08:53 AM

rmiiirusty said:
ON A BUDGET OF 2000K HE COULD ALMOST GO WITH THE NEW I7-9530K AND A 2011 BOARD, BESIDES THE MAXIMUS IV GENE-Z IS ONLY $169.00, MAYBE $184.00 NCIX CANADA. EXTREME QUALITY WITH ALL FEATURES OF FULL ATX INCLUDING SLI OR CROSSFIRE. tHE ONLY THING YOU DON'T HAVE IS 3WAY SLI/CR FR. THE AZROCK BOARD IS NICE TO THOUGH AND IT DEPENDS ON WHAT YOU WANT.

Woah. Didn't disagree with you. Please no all caps man. Just because I recommend ASRock, the motherboard you have isn't bad. If you would say "all the way ASUS" this is great for overclocking, and more expensive than the previous one I linked to closer hit his 2000$ budget. Since it's all about spending more money! :o  . http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It is nicer than the ASRock no doubt about it.
m
l
December 7, 2011 12:31:39 AM

raptorxrx said:
Woah. Didn't disagree with you. Please no all caps man. Just because I recommend ASRock, the motherboard you have isn't bad. If you would say "all the way ASUS" this is great for overclocking, and more expensive than the previous one I linked to closer hit his 2000$ budget. Since it's all about spending more money! :o  . http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... It is nicer than the ASRock no doubt about it.

"Annie , Get my Gun" l.o.l.

No really, Why are you answering for danries? I didn't disagree with you or even him really, Only that he was mis informed as to the usefulness of the microatx and the price difference of the two boards, as to that, the asus is cheaper. And also wondering what he meant as to the reply (with that budget) as though the guy said he didn't have much to spend or something.
Sorry I have offended you ,Ill make my seat on the other side of the chat room from now on.

As far as all caps my gf had just been on the comp, she likes mine better, lol I didnt know it was on till half way through the message and didn't feel like rewriting.
m
l
December 7, 2011 12:35:19 AM

rmiiirusty said:
"Annie , Get my Gun" l.o.l.

No really, Why are you answering for danries? I didn't disagree with you or even him really, Only that he was mis informed as to the usefulness of the microatx and the price difference of the two boards, as to that, the asus is cheaper. And also wondering what he meant as to the reply (with that budget) as though the guy said he didn't have much to spend or something.
Sorry I have offended you ,Ill make my seat on the other side of the chat room from now on.

Not gonna argue. I will say though now you are saying the ASUS is cheaper, and the ASRock has almost all of the same features at a even cheaper price. What other side of the chatroom? I felt disagreed on with the all caps...
m
l
December 7, 2011 12:55:59 AM

raptorxrx said:
Not gonna argue. I will say though now you are saying the ASUS is cheaper, and the ASRock has almost all of the same features at a even cheaper price. What other side of the chatroom? I felt disagreed on with the all caps...

"Other side of the chatroom"...joke
I will repeat since u seem to be hard of reading, I did not disagree with you and responded directly to danrei as anyone can see by scrolling up.
I have always said the board was less expensive as compared to the asrock extreme7 gen3 mentioned by the person with the question in the first place. Almost $100.00 dollars cheaper and every bit better, Heck it was my main argument.
The caps have been explained but even if i meant anything by it,it wouldn't have been at you. You do say ALMOST all of the features and I haven't been able to compare your price on it because your link is dead.
Its a shame cause while entertaining , this helps the guy with his build in no way.
Please just post another link to the board you want to show him and leave me be until you get better at reading at least so your replys will at least be challenging to me.
m
l
December 7, 2011 1:08:38 AM

I can't see basing a $2k build on a MoBo that only offers a 2 year warranty.

The HX850 is 1st tier 10.0 rated PSU and at your budget, I wouldn't drop to 9.5. Seasonic X Series, Antec CP or SG series, XFX Black (not core) edition would be its legitimate competitors. The HX1050 is the black sheep of the HX family and only gets a 8.5 rating.

Consider the following:

Twin Factory OC'd GTX 560's (900Mhz) at $215 each get 862 fps
Twin GTX 570's at $340 each get 873 fps outta the box - 1 % more outta the box
Twin factory OC'd 570's at $350 each get 910 fps outta the box - 6 % more outta the box
Twin GTX 580's at $500 each get 953 outta the box - 10% more than the 560's

As for the "unreliable" comment on the Sandforce controlled SSD's, that issue has been fixed .... it was announced today that Intel is using Sandforce controllers on their new 520

http://www.techspot.com/news/45902-sandforce-bsod-bug-i...

If ya wanna see how they stack up speed wise, see the heirarchy chart

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-price-ssd,3070...

As for the cooler, here's what I use....

$1200 build - Hyper 212
$1500 build - Scythe Mugen 3 (gives extra 5-7C cooler than 212)
$1800 build - Thermalright Silver Arrow (7-10C cooler than 212)
m
l
December 7, 2011 1:10:01 AM

Rmiirusty, i also recommended that bOard so i was sticking up for my opinion too. Oh and i did say to look at asus rog boards.obviously this doesnt help the OP so im goin to wave the white flag of surrender My time to sleep so im out. Night. :D 

Oh and sorry for my spelling... My iApple device isnt the best for posting.
m
l
December 7, 2011 1:22:53 AM

rmiiirusty said:

Yeah, so to get back on topic...

I understand that the maximus iv gene-z is cheaper, but honestly if you want to buy a $170 board I think you're better off getting a board like the ASRock Extreme3 or Extreme4. Gigabyte has some boards in that range, too, that offer x8/x8 SLI but I don't know as much about them. If you look at the gene-z and a board like the Extreme4, they have very similar features. Very few gamers care about the few extra USB ports and eSATA port on the gene-z or the video ports, firewire port, and SATA connections on the Extreme4 and of course they both offer x8/x8 SLI/CF. It seems to me, though, that it's a no-brainer to get the larger board with the extra expansion slots in the event that you want to add a wireless card or a tv card or something in the future. Also, the Extreme4 lets you use two cards that are three slots apart which is going to help air-cool two hot cards and that's certainly useful.

I guess the bottom line for me is that the gene-z is a fine board, but for the same price there are full ATX boards with the same performance and more features so unless you need the small form factor (or the ROG capability in this case), it's more valuable to go with a board like the Extreme4 at the same price point.

rmiiirusty makes a good point and the gene-z is a quality board - I just wanted to explain why I recommended against it in this case.
m
l
December 7, 2011 1:28:34 AM

JackNaylorPE said:
I can't see basing a $2k build on a MoBo that only offers a 2 year warranty.

The HX850 is 1st tier 10.0 rated PSU and at your budget, I wouldn't drop to 9.5. Seasonic X Series, Antec CP or SG series, XFX Black (not core) edition would be its legitimate competitors. The HX1050 is the black sheep of the HX family and only gets a 8.5 rating.

Consider the following:

Twin Factory OC'd GTX 560's (900Mhz) at $215 each get 862 fps
Twin GTX 570's at $340 each get 873 fps outta the box - 1 % more outta the box
Twin factory OC'd 570's at $350 each get 910 fps outta the box - 6 % more outta the box
Twin GTX 580's at $500 each get 953 outta the box - 10% more than the 560's

As for the "unreliable" comment on the Sandforce controlled SSD's, that issue has been fixed .... it was announced today that Intel is using Sandforce controllers on their new 520

http://www.techspot.com/news/45902-sandforce-bsod-bug-i...

If ya wanna see how they stack up speed wise, see the heirarchy chart

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-price-ssd,3070...

As for the cooler, here's what I use....

$1200 build - Hyper 212
$1500 build - Scythe Mugen 3 (gives extra 5-7C cooler than 212)
$1800 build - Thermalright Silver Arrow (7-10C cooler than 212)

Wow made me dig out my warrantee papers just to be sure. lol
Which board were you referring to only having two years, My Asus came with a 3 yr. warrantee and Newegg will extend it to 4 yrs for additional $16.95 Best warrantee in the business that I have ever seen.

Its good to see someone giving sound advice. I had almost given up hope.

You didn't suggest a mobo, what would you suggest?

Jay, It looks like a lot of good advice so far but if I were you I would slap that i7-2700k on ebay as brand new , you will get almost new price for it and since you were only going to use the computer mostly for gaming, back up to a i5-2500k and spend the difference an a very high end gpu like this one
and only go with a single gpu unless you have to sli. I dont see why you would need to as there are no games out there that this card wont handle with ease unless you are multi monitoring giant screens.
When you sli you don't get full power from the second gpu, you spend twice the money but only get 1 1/2 performance.
m
l
December 7, 2011 1:36:52 AM

JackNaylorPE said:

You're absolutely right. OCZ has a firmware update that supposedly fixes the issues and removes the reliability issues that have plagued OCZ drives.

That being said, that's not really good enough for me yet. They're going to have to prove to me that all is well before I give OCZ a shot. Sometimes one can buy new hardware without the latest firmware (shouldn't happen, but it does), and in the history of computer hardware there have been promised firmware fixes that don't live up to the expectations.

There's certainly two sides of the argument here - some people are going to trust the firmware and that's fine. But for me, when there are similarly priced drives with similar performance that I know are reliable, I'm not going to take the chance on OCZ for a while. I've had a bad experience with OCZ so I guess I'm a bit biased, but for me it's not quite time to start trusting OCZ SSD's yet.
m
l
December 7, 2011 1:47:03 AM

Just to be clear, I'm not recommending the Extreme4 for this build - I'm recommending the Extreme7. I'm only saying that if you're going to put a $170 board in this build there are better choices than the maximus iv gene-z in my opinion.

The Extreme7 has a 3 year warranty.
m
l
December 7, 2011 2:03:36 AM

danraies said:
You're absolutely right. OCZ has a firmware update that supposedly fixes the issues and removes the reliability issues that have plagued OCZ drives.

That being said, that's not really good enough for me yet. They're going to have to prove to me that all is well before I give OCZ a shot. Sometimes one can buy new hardware without the latest firmware (shouldn't happen, but it does), and in the history of computer hardware there have been promised firmware fixes that don't live up to the expectations.

There's certainly two sides of the argument here - some people are going to trust the firmware and that's fine. But for me, when there are similarly priced drives with similar performance that I know are reliable, I'm not going to take the chance on OCZ for a while. I've had a bad experience with OCZ so I guess I'm a bit biased, but for me it's not quite time to start trusting OCZ SSD's yet.

I'm using a Sandforce 3 controller SSD that is identical to the one in OCZ vertex 3 lines of SSD and I got no issues whatsoever after updating the firmware. Mine is a 120 GB Patriot Wildfire, which is identical to the OCZ Vertex 3 Max IOPS.
m
l
December 7, 2011 2:25:50 AM

To the original poster, since you have a very good budget of 2000 bucks, (I got the same budget when I built mine 2 weeks ago), I would recommend going for the Asus Maximus IV Extreme/Z over any Asrock as it is the best overclocking motherboard a gamer can get in terms of overclocking capability, features and stability. Asrock just recently established itself in the high end motherboard sector and its quality maybe improving but Asus is still the top brand and when it comes to build quality and overclocking features, the Maximus IV Extreme Republic of Gamer motherboard has no equal.

Despite the fact that it's little brother Maximus IV GeneZ is equally good, I would not recommend you going that route due to your SLI set up. The Maximus IV GeneZ is an excellent overclocking board for single card set up only due to the relative distance of the 2 PCI-E ports. If you go SLI/CF with this board, the space between the 2 cards would be very narrow and thus you will most certainly experience high temperature difference between the 2 cards. (I also already considered this option when I built mine but I decided to go for the Maximus IV Extreme intead and I am happy I did. The board is screaming with hardcore overclocking features )

Also, your choice of GTX 570 SLI is excellent, no single card (including dual GPU card that costs 700 bucks at the moment) can surpass the performance of 2 GTX 570 SLI. In addition, each GTX 570 if you buy from EVGA is extremely easy to overclock and they do have a lot of room to overclock. Lots of people overclock the GTX 570 even passed the based clock of a GTX 580 without going over the recommended 1.1V as stated by EVGA.

For your PSU, Corsair HX 850W is a very good PSU and it can certainly power your entire set up without any problem. If you can however get the AX 850W, that would be even better since its fully modular and Gold rated in power efficiency (vs semi modular and Silver rated in power efficiency in the HX one). Qualitywise they are pretty much equivalent.

For SSD, Sandforce 3 SSD such as Vertex 3/Vertex3 Max IOPS/Patriot Wildfire/Muskin Chronos/Kingston Hyperx are considerably faster than the Crucial M4 or Intel one. The BSOD is no longer an issue due to the firmware fixed released by Sandforce to all of its partners. Intel itself is also jumping onto this controller by preparing their own SSD ie Intel 520 series using the same Sandforce controller found in the other SSDs listed above.

Updating SSD firmware is relatively easy. If you can manage to put together a computer, you are more than capable of updating a firmware for the SSD. Do not let the fact that some SSD may come with old firmware to scare you away from Sandforce SSD, they are amazingly fast.

Just a side note, if you find some Sandforce 3 SSD on sale, buy 2 instead of 1 if you can afford it since Intel is about to release support for TRIM in SSD RAID in their upcoming RST driver update. I got myself a 2nd Patriot Wildfire 120 GB and now I can Raid 0 2 Patriot Wildfire to get 240 GB of SSD and the speed is incredible.

Lastly, I would recommend you to go for the water cooling set up instead of the air cooling because most high end air coolers nowadays (Nocture/Silver Arrow) costs almost the same as a good water cooling kit such as Corsair H80. However, due to the increasing weight of the gigantic air coolers, they can cause a lot of stress to the motherboard and the cooling performance is about equal between a good water cooling unit and high end aircoolers anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Good luck with your build and have fun. (I did have a lot of fun building mine lol especially when it comes to cable management and running cables behind the case to make the front look really clean.)
m
l
December 7, 2011 12:56:11 PM

rmiiirusty said:
Jay, It looks like a lot of good advice so far but if I were you I would slap that i7-2700k on ebay as brand new , you will get almost new price for it and since you were only going to use the computer mostly for gaming, back up to a i5-2500k and spend the difference an a very high end gpu like this one
and only go with a single gpu unless you have to sli. I dont see why you would need to as there are no games out there that this card wont handle with ease unless you are multi monitoring giant screens.
When you sli you don't get full power from the second gpu, you spend twice the money but only get 1 1/2 performance.

The only reason I went with the i7-2700K is the fact that I got it through Intel's Retail Edge Program (one of the 2011 Holiday Deals; $142 USD Shipped to my door).

As for 2 GTX 570, I've read that it's cheaper and faster than the GTX 590 so from a bang for the buck perspective, it was the better choice. Although I haven't looked much at that card you suggested above...
m
l
December 7, 2011 4:45:09 PM

Hw4ng3r said:
The only reason I went with the i7-2700K is the fact that I got it through Intel's Retail Edge Program (one of the 2011 Holiday Deals; $142 USD Shipped to my door).

As for 2 GTX 570, I've read that it's cheaper and faster than the GTX 590 so from a bang for the buck perspective, it was the better choice. Although I haven't looked much at that card you suggested above...

Cool nothing wrong with 17-2700k, it is slight better than 2600k, and since your deal was so good I doubt you could make up the difference by downgrading. You would end up with a lesser(however adequate) product for relatively the same price.

The guy above jacknhut or however you spell it is right you will get betterwith sli 570s compared to a singular 590 but if you go that route you will spend more money on two lesser cards and be stuck there, It has always been my opinion to not waste money just cause you have it.
If you can maintain playable framerates and ultimate settings with one single card then why waste the money on a second ,have to mess with sli and be stuck to what you have for only a little better frame rate that you won't even notice in the game. Besides you will have less invested to begin with and almost as good performance and still have the option to sli later with even better cards.

All that being said, Some people just enjoy the enthusiast aspect of building and just want to max it all out , put a component in every slot (so to speak) If you can afford it then go for it.
But you will still be better off with two of the cards i showed you than two 570's if it is max you want.

Keep in mind, When I finished my first build, It was extremely exciting to know, I now have the fastest most quality build I ever owned, yet it was still a little disheartening to finish the project because I was enjoying it so much, I was looking for more to add. I didn't quite have the budget you do but I continued adding fans, led's, peripherals, It was great to add just any thing. I had no need for a better video card but by the time a year had rolled around I had bought a second. Point being, weather needed or not an enthusiast enjoys his hobby and will eventually fill his systems capacity for components, Its nice to save yourself some grow room where you can.
m
l
December 8, 2011 1:42:50 AM

rmiiirusty said:

The guy above jacknhut or however you spell it is right you will get betterwith sli 570s compared to a singular 590 but if you go that route you will spend more money on two lesser cards and be stuck there, It has always been my opinion to not waste money just cause you have it.
If you can maintain playable framerates and ultimate settings with one single card then why waste the money on a second ,have to mess with sli and be stuck to what you have for only a little better frame rate that you won't even notice in the game. Besides you will have less invested to begin with and almost as good performance and still have the option to sli later with even better cards.

The GTX 590 costs the same as the 2 GTX 570 SLI, some times you can find the GTX 570 on sale for cheaper than 300 bucks which makes the GTX 570 SLI set up to cost less than 600 while the GTX 590 always stay at 700 bucks range. In other words, he doesn't spend more money, he actually spends less money for more performance. Besides, even if he buys the GTX 590 now and pays premium for it, the costs of buying another GTX 590 to make it a quad SLI set up would be another 700 bucks. This alone will deter many people if not all to pursue a 2nd GTX 590. In addition, since GTX 590 is a dual GPU card itself, using 2 GTX 590 for a quad SLI setup will not yield as much performance gain since Quad SLI scales very poorly.

The other option he has, which is buying 2 GTX 580 and SLI, or buy 1 now and 1 later, is almost equally expensive since the GTX 580 costs 500 bucks each and is rarely on sale like the GTX 570. The performance gain of 2 GTX 580 SLI is greater than 2 GTX 570 SLI but the additional cost is way too high 1000 bucks vs 600-700 bucks. In terms of performance, a single GTX 580 will be able to handle most games at max settings when playing on 1 monitor, but there are few modern games that it cannot handle especially when 4xMSAA is turned on such as BF3. That is why I recommend him a GTX 570 SLI as it is enough to handle everything at max settings even with max MSAA on. Thus, the need to spend additional 300-400 bucks to get GTX 580 SLI is not necessary.
m
l
December 8, 2011 3:33:23 AM

single gtx 570
customer reviews
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=14-121-...
Magik
12/4/2011 2:18:27 PM
Tech Level:
Ownership:
Verified Owner

Magik Review

Pros: This thing is a beast. Will run BF3 on maxed settings in the middle of all the action with no lag at all. I have only had a few hours of play with this but so far it has exceeded my expectations. I have not overclocked anything yet but so far I don't see the need. Design was very well made and though out.

Very cool and quite, I don't hear it at all (I do but I have to focus on the sound). It's so quite that you wont realize its there which is a big plus because you don't want an obnoxiously loud computer when your playing a game. Stays cool quite well but additional cooling doesn't hurt.

I will re post once I run a full stress test on this thing.

Cons: This beast is BIG. It's just barely longer than my motherboard and takes up 3 slots. If you intend to SLI make sure your motherboard slots are far enough apart.

Other Thoughts: This thing is big, make sure when you put this in that it doesn't droop down towards the back. ASUS put in a back plate so as to keep it straight and study. It works but I've seen a little bit of bend (not much at all) towards the back. If it gets any worse I may put in some sort of stabilizer to help hold this thing up. I doubt it will come to that point though.

My Specs:
Case - NZXT Phantom Black Full Tower
MB - ASRock Extreme4 Gen3
CPU - i5-2500K
GPU - ASUS GTX 570
RAM - G.Skill Sniper 2 x 4Gb DDR3 1600
PSU - Thermaltake 750W
HDD - Seagate Barracuda 1Tb Sata 6Gb/s
Cooling - Corsair H60
DVD - Samsung DVD Burner

N/A
12/4/2011 2:51:49 AM
Tech Level:
Ownership:
Verified Owner

Great card, but too large for many builds!

Pros: This card was EXTREMELY QUIET. It handled every game I threw at it (BF3, Skyrim, Crysis 2, etc) without any issues. It never got loud and temperatures always stayed very cool! It's an amazing card!

Cons: The only con of this card is the fact it takes up 3 expansion slots... which makes it difficult to run SLI configurations. Make sure you can fit this in your case with your other cards!

Other Thoughts: Since this is a personal opinion, I did not take an egg off. Eggcellent card!!

Archaic
11/28/2011 1:28:19 AM
Tech Level:
Ownership:
Verified Owner

Simply Amazing

Pros: Great performance for the tech.
Stays cool easily.
Just one of them can run everything from Fallout New Vegas to Skyrim on ultra settings with no hiccups that are hardware based.

Cons: Size.

Other Thoughts: It's a monster, but it's worth it. Make sure you measure you case before you buy it. I have an In-Win Dragon Rider, which is a beast of a case, and with everything else I have in there this puppy is still a tight squeeze.
However, this card performs like a freaking monster. I was going to buy a second one and SLI them together, but I haven't had any reason to need to since I got it at the end of last spring. I buy tons of games, and like my settings maxed out. This card does that job, stays cool while doing it, and I'm thoroughly impressed

worldismine
10/29/2011 5:02:28 AM
Tech Level:
Ownership:
Verified Owner

Battlefield 3? lol

Pros: I purchased this for one reason only, Battlefield 3.

Setup:
AMD 1100T
16 Gigs 1600 ram
ASUS EVO mobo
This card lol.

Settings: ALL maxed out @ ULTRA (with AAx4 on)
Ran BF3 1080p @ 42-70 FPS... Even on 64 player maps when things blow up everywhere the frames don't fall below 40. Which is awesome. Don't buy the 580, save yourself 200 dollars. Plus this card runs 25 degrees cooler.

Also it is quiet, so quiet that its spooky.

Cons: BIG. I got a HAF case so no problem but I can't imagine fitting this thing into a smaller case.

Card made a few grinding noises at first (like the fans were hitting the plastic, it stopped... but makes you wonder)

Asus instructions are a joke... they're not even for this card... there is some outdated / ancient pictures on it... Just horrible... for such a high end card not to have a proper step by step? -1 egg asus.

Save yourself time and don't even play the CD... Just download the latest nvidia drivers.

Other Thoughts: Other than the cons the card is a monster. Should last you at least 2-3 years ;) 

1 out of 1 people found this review helpful. Did you?

N/A
10/24/2011 9:18:08 PM
Tech Level:
Ownership:

Beast of a card

Pros: Very quiet, incredibly powerful, eats anything I throw at it and spits it out without even trying (Crysis 2 with High Res Texture Pack maxed out, Metro 2033, Battlefield 3, Aliens vs. Predators, GTA IV....the usual). Could not have been happier.

Cons: Not really a con, just something to keep in consideration; this card is almost a foot long. It is HUGE.

A side note to that is to keep in mind if you plan on ever running these in SLI, they take up 3 PCI-e slots, so make sure you can accommodate that with your mobo and case, as well as having sufficient PSU wattage and cables.

Other Thoughts: Can't say enough good things about this card. Asus has always built solid products (customer service aside), and they definitely outdid themselves with this card.

Just a few verified owner reviews of the gtx 580 as you can see no need to sli to get ultra settings
m
l
December 8, 2011 3:55:39 AM

@rmiiirusty You've linked to a 570 and the first line of your post is "single gtx 580."

Also I'm with jacknhut on the graphics - I'm putting in a vote for two 570's.
m
l
December 8, 2011 5:02:04 AM

danraies said:
@rmiiirusty You've linked to a 570 and the first line of your post is "single gtx 580."

Also I'm with jacknhut on the graphics - I'm putting in a vote for two 570's.

My post headlines with 570 I did however mis type 580 at the end. Either way if one will do it for him as verified by valid owners what is the reason for two?

might as well double them up tho and if ya wanna throw any more money away give a buzz

You know its kind of sad, all i have done is show valid proof that 1 card SHOULD accomplish his aspirations and to maybe try one first. Unless something has changed since my last build ... that second slot will still be there on his mobo later to put a second card after a possible price reduction in a month or two. Sounds like good advice to me.
m
l
December 8, 2011 6:00:15 AM

If by "valid proof" you mean a series of subjective reviews given by a small sample of people, then sure...proof. For some actual numbers and side-by-side comparison of various cards, Tom's did a massive benchmark comparison of several different cards in BF3. They benchmarked a reasonably light section so the results are up to interpretation, but they have a section called "Benchmark Results: Nvidia Graphics Cards, What Do I Need For Ultra Quality?" The following is a quote from that section.

Quote:

Honestly? If you have your sights set on 2560x1600, you probably want an SLI-based configuration. Even the GeForce GTX 590 gets beat up pretty badly at that resolution.

It’s entirely possible to get a good experience out of a GeForce GTX 580 at 1920x1080 or lower, though in real-world game play you still run into occasional stuttering.

A GeForce GTX 570 handles 1680x1050 pretty well. However, I’m willing to bet that you didn’t buy a $300+ card to play on a 17” screen. Two GTX 570s should handle Ultra quality with aplomb at 1920x1080.

Here's the link: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/battlefield-3-graph...

Not everybody *needs* to play on ultra settings, but let's not pretend like one 570 is more than enough to play games like BF3 at all settings. There are definitely situations and budgets where two 570's are appropriate and using about 40% of a $2K budget on graphics is appropriate in a gaming machine. Two 570's is not a waste and it's not throwing away money.
m
l
December 8, 2011 6:13:15 AM

Look at this professional review of BF3 on various video cards. I do not trust some random user reviews on the internet because there are many factors that can affect the frame rate that people do not take into account. Reviews done by professionals are more trustworthy since they keep everything else constant (CPU, OS, drivers, what other tasks going in the background..etc) except for the video card itself. This is the best way to see if the fps produced by different video cards are caused by those video cards and not caused by something else in the system.

http://www.techspot.com/review/458-battlefield-3-perfor...

At 1920-1200 Ultra Settings 4xMSAA 16xAF, GTX 570 produces 38 fps min / 48 fps average. I believe the results of the benchmark come from the beginning of single player campaign because they do not have time to play all the way till the end of the single player for benchmarking purpose. This is the typical fps you will see in the game. However, there are times when the framerate dips below 30 into the 20ish when there are lots of action going on toward the end of the single player mode.

I experienced this when playing the game myself. When there are lots of smokes, flame, rockets flying left and right, tanks, explosion going on, the fps dip to 20ish with single card and that was not pleasant. Thats why I add a 2nd card and the frame rate stayed above 30 throughout.
m
l
December 8, 2011 6:24:24 AM

O.k. I give. It seems I mentioned earlier in the post that he might wanta go sli if gaming on giant screens. I have a Asus gtx 560 ti but I dont need a whole den to fit my screen in.
this I use to play bf3, crysis2 and skyrim on almost ultra settings, I dont have aa past 4x and I think I could go higher on some shadows, but yeah I think spending another 400 bucks for that little bit would be a waste, as is thinking I need to be in front of a theatre screen to play in the first place, But to each his own. Spend it ,buy it , get it all, Might as well buy 32g ram while your at it.

By the way Jay good luck with your build , sorry to have tried to save you some cash.
m
l
December 8, 2011 2:06:07 PM

Hw4ng3r said:
Thanks for all of the feedback...

Was looking for air cooling.... Suggestions on CPU cooler?

On a completely separate note.... any major differences between the PCIe 16x 16x and PCIe 8x 8x for the SLI? I believe the Extreme7 Gen3 is 16x 16x which is what drew me to that board but if there's no real differences, I should save a few bucks and go with the Extreme3 Gen3 or even the Extreme4 Gen3?

Jay

Sorry for being a bit late to answer your question. I use the Be Quiet Dark Rock Advanced . It has great cooling but is rather chunky and can be tricky to install. The most popular cooler on the market is the Hyper 212+ which is what the others are recommending.
There is also the Corsair A70 which is pretty cheap nowadays. Have a look into these three, all of them are good so you can't go wrong.
m
l
December 9, 2011 3:00:02 PM

Thanks for all of your inputs!
m
l
!