Convert Molex to 4-Pin Motherboard fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

cc inc

Honorable
Feb 24, 2012
Hi,

I have two fans on the front and top, and they have a molex connecter that goes straight to the powersupply. They are very loud, and I dont want to buy an extra speed controller, so I want to plug the fans into my motherboard, the ASUS p8Z68, so I can control them. The motherboard has two open 4-pin chassis fan connecters. How can I convert the molex to the 4-pins?

Thanks!

Solution
If the fans have only 2 wires going to them, the motherboard can't control the speed. (The 2 wires are +12V and Ground.) A 3 wire fan would allow you to monitor the speed but not control it*. A 4 wire fan would allow the board to control the speed by Pulse Width Modulation. But the board would have to have a 4 wire header.

*all 2-wire 12V fans w/universal DC motors can be controlled by varying the DC voltage to the motor, but that would take a separate controller.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
If the fans have only 2 wires going to them, the motherboard can't control the speed. (The 2 wires are +12V and Ground.) A 3 wire fan would allow you to monitor the speed but not control it*. A 4 wire fan would allow the board to control the speed by Pulse Width Modulation. But the board would have to have a 4 wire header.

*all 2-wire 12V fans w/universal DC motors can be controlled by varying the DC voltage to the motor, but that would take a separate controller.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.