What were your favorite arcade games you liked playing ?

What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
32 answers Last reply
More about what favorite arcade games playing

    <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Back in 1992 one of my favorite games at the Arcade was Alien Vs. Predator
    where you were the predators battling against aliens, was a 2D sidescroller.
    Loads of fun, sadly, I never did see it on a console.

    <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Asteroids, Berzerk, Star Castles, Donkey Kong and Tempest.

    lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    DEFENDER!
    I still play on MAME occasionally.

    --

    Andrew

    <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Donkey Kong, Asteroids, Spy Hunter, Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, Berzerk, Robotron,
    Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Frogger, Q*Bert, Mappy, Elevator Action,
    Joust, Missile Command, Paperbpy, Tapper, Marble Madness, Star Wars...almost
    too many to mention.

    I still play them occassionally on those TV Games or compilation disks for
    PS2, or using MAMEoX. And I found a Centipede coin-op on eBay a few years
    back which is sitting here right behind me...

    <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Street Fighter 2 for the competition. Still play most SF games released on
    console.

    Star Wars for the thrill of blowing up the death star time and time again.

    Time Crisis X for the fun of Woo style shootouts.

    Time Soldiers, etc, for the rotary novelty.

    Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon, Golden Axe for the beat them all up mayhem.

    Super Mario Brothers

    But, probably most enjoyable of them all was Shinobi. Don't know why.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    SideArmz

    Anyone else remember that?
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Android wrote:
    > <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    >>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    >>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
    >

    > Donkey Kong, Asteroids, Spy Hunter, Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, Berzerk, Robotron,
    > Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Frogger, Q*Bert, Mappy, Elevator Action,
    > Joust, Missile Command, Paperbpy, Tapper, Marble Madness, Star Wars...almost
    > too many to mention.
    >
    > I still play them occassionally on those TV Games or compilation disks for
    > PS2, or using MAMEoX. And I found a Centipede coin-op on eBay a few years
    > back which is sitting here right behind me...

    Most of those were some of my faves...
    Asteroids, Galaga, Pac-Man, Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Joust,
    Tempest and Missile command. Those are probably my top few and most
    played over the years. Joust is the one I spent the most time and money
    on over the years...still love playing it and the others.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

    > Most of those were some of my faves...
    > Asteroids, Galaga, Pac-Man, Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Joust, Tempest
    > and Missile command. Those are probably my top few and most played over
    > the years. Joust is the one I spent the most time and money on over the
    > years...still love playing it and the others.

    Joust! Yes. Robotron and Tron as well.

    Just remembered another one, Packrat. Remember that one?
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Asteroids, Galaxians, and Donkey Kong.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    SDP81 <@wowway.com> wrote:

    > Back in 1992 one of my favorite games at the Arcade was Alien Vs. Predator
    > where you were the predators battling against aliens, was a 2D sidescroller.
    > Loads of fun, sadly, I never did see it on a console.

    That was a favorite of mine too. I liked the 2D brawler type games, like
    AVP, Double Dragon, and others.

    Played a lot of Street Fighter. Tried most of the fighters, actually.
    Didn't really care for Mortal Kombat, or...darn it, what was the one where
    you could do obscene numbers of combos? Didn't like NeoGeo's fighters at
    all, so I stuck mainly with Capcom's.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Steeeeam <steaaam@steeeeam.cam> wrote:

    > SideArmz

    > Anyone else remember that?

    Was that the 2D shooter where you could use one of two different 'mechs'
    that could transform? My friend loved that game, but I could never find a
    machine to try it.
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Doug Jacobs wrote:
    > Tried most of the fighters, actually. Didn't really care for Mortal Kombat,
    > or...darn it, what was the one where you could do obscene numbers of
    combos?

    Killer Instinct, perhaps?

    http://www.gamespot.com/n64/action/killerinstinctgold/

    --
    Scott Thomas, thomass@cs.rose-hulman.edu
    http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~thomass/

    In article <425ebc71$0$2743$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
    fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

    >"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    >
    >> Most of those were some of my faves...
    >> Asteroids, Galaga, Pac-Man, Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Joust, Tempest
    >> and Missile command. Those are probably my top few and most played over
    >> the years. Joust is the one I spent the most time and money on over the
    >> years...still love playing it and the others.
    >
    >Joust! Yes. Robotron and Tron as well.
    >
    >Just remembered another one, Packrat. Remember that one?

    How about Super Cobra, Star Castle and Pole Position. I also loved Vitrual
    Racing-the first one. Another one I liked was Congo Bongo.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
    > In article <425ebc71$0$2743$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
    > fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
    > >
    > >"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> Most of those were some of my faves...
    > >> Asteroids, Galaga, Pac-Man, Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Joust,
    Tempest
    > >> and Missile command. Those are probably my top few and most played over
    > >> the years. Joust is the one I spent the most time and money on over the
    > >> years...still love playing it and the others.
    > >
    > >Joust! Yes. Robotron and Tron as well.
    > >
    > >Just remembered another one, Packrat. Remember that one?
    > >

    > How about Super Cobra, Star Castle and Pole Position. I also loved Vitrual
    > Racing-the first one. Another one I liked was Congo Bongo.

    Star Castle was one of my all time favs
    I use to turn that machine over daily at the local pizza palor.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Scott Thomas <thomass@cs.rose-hulman.edu> wrote:
    > Doug Jacobs wrote:
    > > Tried most of the fighters, actually. Didn't really care for Mortal Kombat,
    > > or...darn it, what was the one where you could do obscene numbers of
    > combos?

    > Killer Instinct, perhaps?

    Yep, that's the one.
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    On 14 Apr 2005 03:48:42 -0700, lav111@hotmail.com spewed forth these words of
    wisdom:

    >What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    >and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    >(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    My high school years were 1979-1983, so I spent all my free time in the arcade.
    My favorites were:
    Defender
    Stargate - all-time favorite :-)
    Tempest
    Satan's Hollow
    Time Pilot
    Galaga

    Galley
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
    > <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >
    >> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    >> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    >> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
    >
    > Street Fighter 2 for the competition. Still play most SF games released
    > on console.
    >
    > Star Wars for the thrill of blowing up the death star time and time again.
    >
    > Time Crisis X for the fun of Woo style shootouts.
    >
    > Time Soldiers, etc, for the rotary novelty.
    >
    > Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon, Golden Axe for the beat them all up mayhem.
    >
    > Super Mario Brothers
    >
    > But, probably most enjoyable of them all was Shinobi. Don't know why.

    I don't know the name, but there was a side-strolling Superman game I that
    LOVED as a kid. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Marvel Super Heroes were
    great too... Apart from those not much else comes to mind - but probably
    only becuase I haven't been to the arcades in nearly... what, over 7 years?

    <=[BC]=>
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message

    > I don't know the name, but there was a side-strolling Superman game I that
    > LOVED as a kid.

    I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
    reason it was addictive.

    Is this it?
    http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9977
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Android wrote:

    > I still play them occassionally on those TV Games or compilation disks for
    > PS2, or using MAMEoX. And I found a Centipede coin-op on eBay a few years
    > back which is sitting here right behind me...

    Centipede was my favorite . I use to go to the corner
    cafe in my village (UK) on the way to school and spend
    my lunch money on it.

    I also liked Tank Battle (IIRC the name), Defender, Tempest
    and galaxians.

    I had a ZX Spectrum and my favorites on that were
    Jet Pac, Arcadia, Manic Miner, Starion
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message

    > How about Super Cobra, Star Castle and Pole Position. I also loved Vitrual
    > Racing-the first one. Another one I liked was Congo Bongo.

    Congo Bongo was pretty cutting edge.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    I suggest

    http://www.mameworld.net/

    I built my own cab and can play most of the ones mentioned in this thread
    whenever I want on a real arcade cabinet :-)
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
    >
    >> I don't know the name, but there was a side-strolling Superman game I
    >> that LOVED as a kid.
    >
    > I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
    > reason it was addictive.
    >
    > Is this it?
    > http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9977

    Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
    description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
    tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
    arcades...

    <=[BC]=>
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
    > > "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
    > >
    > >> I don't know the name, but there was a side-strolling Superman game I
    > >> that LOVED as a kid.
    > >
    > > I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
    > > reason it was addictive.
    > >
    > > Is this it?
    > > http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9977
    >
    > Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
    > description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
    > tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
    > arcades...

    Good luck finding one.
    Arcades no longer exist in my area or any place I travel.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Boody Bandit wrote:
    > "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>"BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message

    >>>I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
    >>>reason it was addictive.
    >>>
    >>>Is this it?
    >>>http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9977
    >>
    >>Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
    >>description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
    >>tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
    >>arcades...
    >

    > Good luck finding one.
    > Arcades no longer exist in my area or any place I travel.

    We have 2 left here, one is part of a pizza/laser tag place. The other
    is with a minature golf course and go-cart track. None left in the malls
    or anything like it used to be though...not even sure how many games
    even have arcade versions anymore since it has been so long since I
    really stopped in one. After they left the malls here that was about it
    for me, and only then as it was just in the proximity and to see what
    was new. With the consoles getting so much better over the years it made
    less and less sense to waste money at the arcades, for what you could
    spend in there on a visit you could buy a cheap game for home.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
    >> > "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message

    >> > I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
    >> > reason it was addictive.
    >> >
    >> > Is this it?
    >> > http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9977
    >>
    >> Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
    >> description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
    >> tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
    >> arcades...
    >

    > Good luck finding one.
    > Arcades no longer exist in my area or any place I travel.

    Here in columbus we have 2 several thouseand square feet arcades, Dave and
    Busters and also Gameworks
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

    >>>Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
    >>>description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
    >>>tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
    >>>arcades...

    >> Good luck finding one.
    >> Arcades no longer exist in my area or any place I travel.

    > We have 2 left here, one is part of a pizza/laser tag place. The other is
    > with a minature golf course and go-cart track. None left in the malls or
    > anything like it used to be though...not even sure how many games even
    > have arcade versions anymore since it has been so long since I really
    > stopped in one. After they left the malls here that was about it for me,
    > and only then as it was just in the proximity and to see what was new.
    > With the consoles getting so much better over the years it made less and
    > less sense to waste money at the arcades, for what you could spend in
    > there on a visit you could buy a cheap game for home.

    Blame that on the industry not listening to Bill Gates. MS tried their
    darndest to save the industry before the industry even knew it was doomed.
  27. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote:
    > "SDP81" <@wowway.com> writes:

    > > Here in columbus we have 2 several thouseand square feet arcades, Dave and
    > > Busters and also Gameworks

    > We have a D&B in Rockville, MD. The selection can be summed up thusly:
    > Drive or Shoot. *yawn* As far as I can tell, innovation in arcade
    > games is dead. Hopefully, console gaming will not go this way.

    That sums up the D&B by me as well, for the most part.

    There's a place not too far from me called 'Nickel City' which is as close
    to a good old fashioned arcade as you'll find. You pay an entrance fee of
    $3, and then get nickels because the games take 1-5 nickels, not quarters or
    tokens. However, that's only for the newer games. The older games are
    free. The only downside is - as you can imagine - that the place is
    usually swarming with little kids (I'm talking 3-5 years old here!) I
    swear this one mother just dropped off her 2 year old(!) with a baggie of
    animal crackers, and a juice box, while she went to the bar nearby.

    Then there's a putt-putt place nearby that supposedly has a good selection
    of the newest machines. It's the only place where folks go for the games
    instead of putt-putt. The other putt-putt places I've seen in the area had
    really old or lame games.

    Then there's the Board Walk, which sports a sizable arcade area, but most
    of the games are either old, gun-games, or DDRs.
  28. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    > Steeeeam <steaaam@steeeeam.cam> wrote:
    >
    >> SideArmz
    >
    >> Anyone else remember that?
    >
    > Was that the 2D shooter where you could use one of two different 'mechs'
    > that could transform? My friend loved that game, but I could never find a
    > machine to try it.

    Yup - that's the one...What a fantastic game it was too! There are some
    emulations kicking around if you look hard enough
  29. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Time Pilot. Phoenix. Scramble. Ladybug. Venture. Turbo. Bosconian.
    Berserk.
  30. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Bozo" <bozo@sdfhgsefjdgsdhfgahdgsfajsdgfjasghdfjsfg.jsehg> wrote in message
    > "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    >> Steeeeam <steaaam@steeeeam.cam> wrote:
    >>
    >>> SideArmz
    >>
    >>> Anyone else remember that?
    >>
    >> Was that the 2D shooter where you could use one of two different 'mechs'
    >> that could transform? My friend loved that game, but I could never find
    >> machine to try it.
    >
    > Yup - that's the one...What a fantastic game it was too! There are some
    > emulations kicking around if you look hard enough

    '

    Sounds like one of my favorite PS1 games called Einhander or something like
    that.
  31. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In article <1113475722.307268.71640@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Tempest
    Super Breakout
    Ms. Pac Man
    Dig Dug
    Crystal Castles

    Arcade & home, although Tempest just isn't the same without the Knob.

    ....Sean.
  32. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    CheetoDust wrote:
    > In article <1113475722.307268.71640@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    >>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    >>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
    >

    > Tempest
    > Super Breakout
    > Ms. Pac Man
    > Dig Dug
    > Crystal Castles
    >
    > Arcade & home, although Tempest just isn't the same without the Knob.
    >
    > ...Sean.

    I forgot about Dig Dug...add that one to my previous list ;)

Console Gaming Games Video Sony Video Games