What were your favorite arcade games you liked playing ?

Last response: in Video Games
April 14, 2005 7:48:42 AM

What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:09:47 AM

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Back in 1992 one of my favorite games at the Arcade was Alien Vs. Predator
where you were the predators battling against aliens, was a 2D sidescroller.
Loads of fun, sadly, I never did see it on a console.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 11:32:20 AM

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Asteroids, Berzerk, Star Castles, Donkey Kong and Tempest.
Related resources
April 14, 2005 2:03:42 PM

lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

DEFENDER!
I still play on MAME occasionally.

--

Andrew
Anonymous

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Donkey Kong, Asteroids, Spy Hunter, Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, Berzerk, Robotron,
Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Frogger, Q*Bert, Mappy, Elevator Action,
Joust, Missile Command, Paperbpy, Tapper, Marble Madness, Star Wars...almost
too many to mention.

I still play them occassionally on those TV Games or compilation disks for
PS2, or using MAMEoX. And I found a Centipede coin-op on eBay a few years
back which is sitting here right behind me...
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 3:46:02 PM

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Street Fighter 2 for the competition. Still play most SF games released on
console.

Star Wars for the thrill of blowing up the death star time and time again.

Time Crisis X for the fun of Woo style shootouts.

Time Soldiers, etc, for the rotary novelty.

Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon, Golden Axe for the beat them all up mayhem.

Super Mario Brothers

But, probably most enjoyable of them all was Shinobi. Don't know why.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 4:22:38 PM

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

SideArmz

Anyone else remember that?
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:37:34 PM

Android wrote:
> <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
>

> Donkey Kong, Asteroids, Spy Hunter, Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, Berzerk, Robotron,
> Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Frogger, Q*Bert, Mappy, Elevator Action,
> Joust, Missile Command, Paperbpy, Tapper, Marble Madness, Star Wars...almost
> too many to mention.
>
> I still play them occassionally on those TV Games or compilation disks for
> PS2, or using MAMEoX. And I found a Centipede coin-op on eBay a few years
> back which is sitting here right behind me...

Most of those were some of my faves...
Asteroids, Galaga, Pac-Man, Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Joust,
Tempest and Missile command. Those are probably my top few and most
played over the years. Joust is the one I spent the most time and money
on over the years...still love playing it and the others.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 6:37:35 PM

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> Most of those were some of my faves...
> Asteroids, Galaga, Pac-Man, Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Joust, Tempest
> and Missile command. Those are probably my top few and most played over
> the years. Joust is the one I spent the most time and money on over the
> years...still love playing it and the others.

Joust! Yes. Robotron and Tron as well.

Just remembered another one, Packrat. Remember that one?
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 8:50:12 PM

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Asteroids, Galaxians, and Donkey Kong.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 9:40:03 PM

SDP81 <@wowway.com> wrote:

> Back in 1992 one of my favorite games at the Arcade was Alien Vs. Predator
> where you were the predators battling against aliens, was a 2D sidescroller.
> Loads of fun, sadly, I never did see it on a console.

That was a favorite of mine too. I liked the 2D brawler type games, like
AVP, Double Dragon, and others.

Played a lot of Street Fighter. Tried most of the fighters, actually.
Didn't really care for Mortal Kombat, or...darn it, what was the one where
you could do obscene numbers of combos? Didn't like NeoGeo's fighters at
all, so I stuck mainly with Capcom's.
Anonymous
April 14, 2005 9:41:24 PM

Steeeeam <steaaam@steeeeam.cam> wrote:

> SideArmz

> Anyone else remember that?

Was that the 2D shooter where you could use one of two different 'mechs'
that could transform? My friend loved that game, but I could never find a
machine to try it.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:17:26 AM

In article <425ebc71$0$2743$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>
>> Most of those were some of my faves...
>> Asteroids, Galaga, Pac-Man, Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Joust, Tempest
>> and Missile command. Those are probably my top few and most played over
>> the years. Joust is the one I spent the most time and money on over the
>> years...still love playing it and the others.
>
>Joust! Yes. Robotron and Tron as well.
>
>Just remembered another one, Packrat. Remember that one?

How about Super Cobra, Star Castle and Pole Position. I also loved Vitrual
Racing-the first one. Another one I liked was Congo Bongo.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 3:17:27 AM

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> In article <425ebc71$0$2743$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
> >
> >"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
> >
> >> Most of those were some of my faves...
> >> Asteroids, Galaga, Pac-Man, Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Joust,
Tempest
> >> and Missile command. Those are probably my top few and most played over
> >> the years. Joust is the one I spent the most time and money on over the
> >> years...still love playing it and the others.
> >
> >Joust! Yes. Robotron and Tron as well.
> >
> >Just remembered another one, Packrat. Remember that one?
> >

> How about Super Cobra, Star Castle and Pole Position. I also loved Vitrual
> Racing-the first one. Another one I liked was Congo Bongo.

Star Castle was one of my all time favs
I use to turn that machine over daily at the local pizza palor.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 4:50:29 AM

Scott Thomas <thomass@cs.rose-hulman.edu> wrote:
> Doug Jacobs wrote:
> > Tried most of the fighters, actually. Didn't really care for Mortal Kombat,
> > or...darn it, what was the one where you could do obscene numbers of
> combos?

> Killer Instinct, perhaps?

Yep, that's the one.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 5:30:59 AM

On 14 Apr 2005 03:48:42 -0700, lav111@hotmail.com spewed forth these words of
wisdom:

>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

My high school years were 1979-1983, so I spent all my free time in the arcade.
My favorites were:
Defender
Stargate - all-time favorite :-)
Tempest
Satan's Hollow
Time Pilot
Galaga

Galley
April 15, 2005 10:27:19 AM

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
>
> Street Fighter 2 for the competition. Still play most SF games released
> on console.
>
> Star Wars for the thrill of blowing up the death star time and time again.
>
> Time Crisis X for the fun of Woo style shootouts.
>
> Time Soldiers, etc, for the rotary novelty.
>
> Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon, Golden Axe for the beat them all up mayhem.
>
> Super Mario Brothers
>
> But, probably most enjoyable of them all was Shinobi. Don't know why.

I don't know the name, but there was a side-strolling Superman game I that
LOVED as a kid. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Marvel Super Heroes were
great too... Apart from those not much else comes to mind - but probably
only becuase I haven't been to the arcades in nearly... what, over 7 years?

<=[BC]=>
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 10:27:20 AM

"BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
news:D 3mclu$60j$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...

> I don't know the name, but there was a side-strolling Superman game I that
> LOVED as a kid.

I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
reason it was addictive.

Is this it?
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=997...
April 15, 2005 1:12:34 PM

Android wrote:

> I still play them occassionally on those TV Games or compilation disks for
> PS2, or using MAMEoX. And I found a Centipede coin-op on eBay a few years
> back which is sitting here right behind me...

Centipede was my favorite . I use to go to the corner
cafe in my village (UK) on the way to school and spend
my lunch money on it.

I also liked Tank Battle (IIRC the name), Defender, Tempest
and galaxians.

I had a ZX Spectrum and my favorites on that were
Jet Pac, Arcadia, Manic Miner, Starion
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 1:40:02 PM

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message

> How about Super Cobra, Star Castle and Pole Position. I also loved Vitrual
> Racing-the first one. Another one I liked was Congo Bongo.

Congo Bongo was pretty cutting edge.
Anonymous
April 15, 2005 7:38:37 PM

I suggest

http://www.mameworld.net/

I built my own cab and can play most of the ones mentioned in this thread
whenever I want on a real arcade cabinet :-)
April 16, 2005 4:51:12 AM

> "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
> news:D 3mclu$60j$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>
>> I don't know the name, but there was a side-strolling Superman game I
>> that LOVED as a kid.
>
> I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
> reason it was addictive.
>
> Is this it?
> http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=997...

Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
arcades...

<=[BC]=>
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:51:13 AM

"BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
news:D 3odbn$813$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...

> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> > "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
> > news:D 3mclu$60j$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
> >
> >> I don't know the name, but there was a side-strolling Superman game I
> >> that LOVED as a kid.
> >
> > I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
> > reason it was addictive.
> >
> > Is this it?
> > http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=997...
>
> Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
> description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
> tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
> arcades...

Good luck finding one.
Arcades no longer exist in my area or any place I travel.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:51:14 AM

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
> news:D 3odbn$813$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>
>>"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
>>>news:D 3mclu$60j$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...

>>>I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
>>>reason it was addictive.
>>>
>>>Is this it?
>>>http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=997...
>>
>>Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
>>description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
>>tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
>>arcades...
>

> Good luck finding one.
> Arcades no longer exist in my area or any place I travel.

We have 2 left here, one is part of a pizza/laser tag place. The other
is with a minature golf course and go-cart track. None left in the malls
or anything like it used to be though...not even sure how many games
even have arcade versions anymore since it has been so long since I
really stopped in one. After they left the malls here that was about it
for me, and only then as it was just in the proximity and to see what
was new. With the consoles getting so much better over the years it made
less and less sense to waste money at the arcades, for what you could
spend in there on a visit you could buy a cheap game for home.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:51:14 AM

"Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
> news:D 3odbn$813$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...
>>
>> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>> > "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
>> > news:D 3mclu$60j$1@lust.ihug.co.nz...

>> > I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
>> > reason it was addictive.
>> >
>> > Is this it?
>> > http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=997...
>>
>> Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
>> description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
>> tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
>> arcades...
>

> Good luck finding one.
> Arcades no longer exist in my area or any place I travel.

Here in columbus we have 2 several thouseand square feet arcades, Dave and
Busters and also Gameworks
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:51:15 AM

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

>>>Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
>>>description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
>>>tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
>>>arcades...

>> Good luck finding one.
>> Arcades no longer exist in my area or any place I travel.

> We have 2 left here, one is part of a pizza/laser tag place. The other is
> with a minature golf course and go-cart track. None left in the malls or
> anything like it used to be though...not even sure how many games even
> have arcade versions anymore since it has been so long since I really
> stopped in one. After they left the malls here that was about it for me,
> and only then as it was just in the proximity and to see what was new.
> With the consoles getting so much better over the years it made less and
> less sense to waste money at the arcades, for what you could spend in
> there on a visit you could buy a cheap game for home.

Blame that on the industry not listening to Bill Gates. MS tried their
darndest to save the industry before the industry even knew it was doomed.
Anonymous
April 16, 2005 4:51:15 AM

Nick Vargish <nav+posts@bandersnatch.org> wrote:
> "SDP81" <@wowway.com> writes:

> > Here in columbus we have 2 several thouseand square feet arcades, Dave and
> > Busters and also Gameworks

> We have a D&B in Rockville, MD. The selection can be summed up thusly:
> Drive or Shoot. *yawn* As far as I can tell, innovation in arcade
> games is dead. Hopefully, console gaming will not go this way.

  • That sums up the D&B by me as well, for the most part.

    There's a place not too far from me called 'Nickel City' which is as close
    to a good old fashioned arcade as you'll find. You pay an entrance fee of
    $3, and then get nickels because the games take 1-5 nickels, not quarters or
    tokens. However, that's only for the newer games. The older games are
    free. The only downside is - as you can imagine - that the place is
    usually swarming with little kids (I'm talking 3-5 years old here!) I
    swear this one mother just dropped off her 2 year old(!) with a baggie of
    animal crackers, and a juice box, while she went to the bar nearby.

    Then there's a putt-putt place nearby that supposedly has a good selection
    of the newest machines. It's the only place where folks go for the games
    instead of putt-putt. The other putt-putt places I've seen in the area had
    really old or lame games.

    Then there's the Board Walk, which sports a sizable arcade area, but most
    of the games are either old, gun-games, or DDRs.
    Anonymous
    April 17, 2005 4:17:51 PM

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    > Steeeeam <steaaam@steeeeam.cam> wrote:
    >
    >> SideArmz
    >
    >> Anyone else remember that?
    >
    > Was that the 2D shooter where you could use one of two different 'mechs'
    > that could transform? My friend loved that game, but I could never find a
    > machine to try it.

    Yup - that's the one...What a fantastic game it was too! There are some
    emulations kicking around if you look hard enough
    Anonymous
    April 17, 2005 9:30:30 PM

    Time Pilot. Phoenix. Scramble. Ladybug. Venture. Turbo. Bosconian.
    Berserk.
    Anonymous
    April 18, 2005 2:51:42 AM

    "Bozo" <bozo@sdfhgsefjdgsdhfgahdgsfajsdgfjasghdfjsfg.jsehg> wrote in message
    news:p ts8e.53973$mV1.48230@fe3.news.blueyonder.co.uk...
    > "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    >> Steeeeam <steaaam@steeeeam.cam> wrote:
    >>
    >>> SideArmz
    >>
    >>> Anyone else remember that?
    >>
    >> Was that the 2D shooter where you could use one of two different 'mechs'
    >> that could transform? My friend loved that game, but I could never find
    >> machine to try it.
    >
    > Yup - that's the one...What a fantastic game it was too! There are some
    > emulations kicking around if you look hard enough

    '

    Sounds like one of my favorite PS1 games called Einhander or something like
    that.
    Anonymous
    April 26, 2005 7:51:56 PM

    In article <1113475722.307268.71640@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
    > What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    > and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    > (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

    Tempest
    Super Breakout
    Ms. Pac Man
    Dig Dug
    Crystal Castles

    Arcade & home, although Tempest just isn't the same without the Knob.

    ....Sean.
    Anonymous
    April 26, 2005 11:25:27 PM

    CheetoDust wrote:
    > In article <1113475722.307268.71640@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
    >
    >>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
    >>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
    >>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
    >

    > Tempest
    > Super Breakout
    > Ms. Pac Man
    > Dig Dug
    > Crystal Castles
    >
    > Arcade & home, although Tempest just isn't the same without the Knob.
    >
    > ...Sean.

    I forgot about Dig Dug...add that one to my previous list ;)
    !