What were your favorite arcade games you liked playing ?

What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Back in 1992 one of my favorite games at the Arcade was Alien Vs. Predator
where you were the predators battling against aliens, was a 2D sidescroller.
Loads of fun, sadly, I never did see it on a console.

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Asteroids, Berzerk, Star Castles, Donkey Kong and Tempest.

Andrew

lav111@hotmail.com wrote:
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

DEFENDER!
I still play on MAME occasionally.

--

Andrew

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Donkey Kong, Asteroids, Spy Hunter, Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, Berzerk, Robotron,
Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Frogger, Q*Bert, Mappy, Elevator Action,
Joust, Missile Command, Paperbpy, Tapper, Marble Madness, Star Wars...almost
too many to mention.

I still play them occassionally on those TV Games or compilation disks for
PS2, or using MAMEoX. And I found a Centipede coin-op on eBay a few years
back which is sitting here right behind me...

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Street Fighter 2 for the competition. Still play most SF games released on
console.

Star Wars for the thrill of blowing up the death star time and time again.

Time Crisis X for the fun of Woo style shootouts.

Time Soldiers, etc, for the rotary novelty.

Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon, Golden Axe for the beat them all up mayhem.

Super Mario Brothers

But, probably most enjoyable of them all was Shinobi. Don't know why.

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

SideArmz

Anyone else remember that?

Android wrote:
> <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
>

> Donkey Kong, Asteroids, Spy Hunter, Galaga, Ms. Pac-Man, Berzerk, Robotron,
> Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Frogger, Q*Bert, Mappy, Elevator Action,
> Joust, Missile Command, Paperbpy, Tapper, Marble Madness, Star Wars...almost
> too many to mention.
>
> I still play them occassionally on those TV Games or compilation disks for
> PS2, or using MAMEoX. And I found a Centipede coin-op on eBay a few years
> back which is sitting here right behind me...

Most of those were some of my faves...
Asteroids, Galaga, Pac-Man, Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Joust,
Tempest and Missile command. Those are probably my top few and most
played over the years. Joust is the one I spent the most time and money
on over the years...still love playing it and the others.

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> Most of those were some of my faves...
> Asteroids, Galaga, Pac-Man, Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Joust, Tempest
> and Missile command. Those are probably my top few and most played over
> the years. Joust is the one I spent the most time and money on over the
> years...still love playing it and the others.

Joust! Yes. Robotron and Tron as well.

Just remembered another one, Packrat. Remember that one?

<lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

Asteroids, Galaxians, and Donkey Kong.

SDP81 <@wowway.com> wrote:

> Back in 1992 one of my favorite games at the Arcade was Alien Vs. Predator
> where you were the predators battling against aliens, was a 2D sidescroller.
> Loads of fun, sadly, I never did see it on a console.

That was a favorite of mine too. I liked the 2D brawler type games, like
AVP, Double Dragon, and others.

Played a lot of Street Fighter. Tried most of the fighters, actually.
Didn't really care for Mortal Kombat, or...darn it, what was the one where
you could do obscene numbers of combos? Didn't like NeoGeo's fighters at
all, so I stuck mainly with Capcom's.

Steeeeam <steaaam@steeeeam.cam> wrote:

> SideArmz

> Anyone else remember that?

Was that the 2D shooter where you could use one of two different 'mechs'
that could transform? My friend loved that game, but I could never find a
machine to try it.

Doug Jacobs wrote:
> Tried most of the fighters, actually. Didn't really care for Mortal Kombat,
> or...darn it, what was the one where you could do obscene numbers of
combos?

Killer Instinct, perhaps?

http://www.gamespot.com/n64/action/killerinstinctgold/

--
Scott Thomas, thomass@cs.rose-hulman.edu
http://www.cs.rose-hulman.edu/~thomass/

In article <425ebc71$0$2743$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
fredliken@toocool4school.com says...

>"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
>
>> Most of those were some of my faves...
>> Asteroids, Galaga, Pac-Man, Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Joust, Tempest
>> and Missile command. Those are probably my top few and most played over
>> the years. Joust is the one I spent the most time and money on over the
>> years...still love playing it and the others.
>
>Joust! Yes. Robotron and Tron as well.
>
>Just remembered another one, Packrat. Remember that one?

How about Super Cobra, Star Castle and Pole Position. I also loved Vitrual
Racing-the first one. Another one I liked was Congo Bongo.

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message
> In article <425ebc71$0$2743$bb4e3ad8@newscene.com>,
> fredliken@toocool4school.com says...
> >
> >"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message
> >
> >> Most of those were some of my faves...
> >> Asteroids, Galaga, Pac-Man, Sinistar, Defender, Centipede, Joust,
Tempest
> >> and Missile command. Those are probably my top few and most played over
> >> the years. Joust is the one I spent the most time and money on over the
> >> years...still love playing it and the others.
> >
> >Joust! Yes. Robotron and Tron as well.
> >
> >Just remembered another one, Packrat. Remember that one?
> >

> How about Super Cobra, Star Castle and Pole Position. I also loved Vitrual
> Racing-the first one. Another one I liked was Congo Bongo.

Star Castle was one of my all time favs
I use to turn that machine over daily at the local pizza palor.

Scott Thomas <thomass@cs.rose-hulman.edu> wrote:
> Doug Jacobs wrote:
> > Tried most of the fighters, actually. Didn't really care for Mortal Kombat,
> > or...darn it, what was the one where you could do obscene numbers of
> combos?

> Killer Instinct, perhaps?

Yep, that's the one.

On 14 Apr 2005 03:48:42 -0700, lav111@hotmail.com spewed forth these words of
wisdom:

>What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>(or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.

My high school years were 1979-1983, so I spent all my free time in the arcade.
My favorites were:
Defender
Stargate - all-time favorite :)
Tempest
Satan's Hollow
Time Pilot
Galaga

Galley

bc4

"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> <lav111@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> What were (or still are) your favorite arcade games you liked playing
>> and please say why, whether you played them in an arcade, or played
>> (or still play) them at home on your PC occasionally.
>
> Street Fighter 2 for the competition. Still play most SF games released
> on console.
>
> Star Wars for the thrill of blowing up the death star time and time again.
>
> Time Crisis X for the fun of Woo style shootouts.
>
> Time Soldiers, etc, for the rotary novelty.
>
> Ninja Gaiden, Double Dragon, Golden Axe for the beat them all up mayhem.
>
> Super Mario Brothers
>
> But, probably most enjoyable of them all was Shinobi. Don't know why.

I don't know the name, but there was a side-strolling Superman game I that
LOVED as a kid. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles and Marvel Super Heroes were
great too... Apart from those not much else comes to mind - but probably
only becuase I haven't been to the arcades in nearly... what, over 7 years?

<=[BC]=>

"BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message

> I don't know the name, but there was a side-strolling Superman game I that
> LOVED as a kid.

I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
reason it was addictive.

Is this it?
http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9977

Michael

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Android wrote:

> I still play them occassionally on those TV Games or compilation disks for
> PS2, or using MAMEoX. And I found a Centipede coin-op on eBay a few years
> back which is sitting here right behind me...

Centipede was my favorite . I use to go to the corner
cafe in my village (UK) on the way to school and spend
my lunch money on it.

I also liked Tank Battle (IIRC the name), Defender, Tempest
and galaxians.

I had a ZX Spectrum and my favorites on that were
Jet Pac, Arcadia, Manic Miner, Starion

"MS#1Fanboy-JoJo" <jojo@cox.net> wrote in message

> How about Super Cobra, Star Castle and Pole Position. I also loved Vitrual
> Racing-the first one. Another one I liked was Congo Bongo.

Congo Bongo was pretty cutting edge.

I suggest

http://www.mameworld.net/

I built my own cab and can play most of the ones mentioned in this thread
whenever I want on a real arcade cabinet :)

> "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
>
>> I don't know the name, but there was a side-strolling Superman game I
>> that LOVED as a kid.
>
> I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
> reason it was addictive.
>
> Is this it?
> http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9977

Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
arcades...

> "Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
> > "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
> >
> >> I don't know the name, but there was a side-strolling Superman game I
> >> that LOVED as a kid.
> >
> > I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
> > reason it was addictive.
> >
> > Is this it?
> > http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9977
>
> Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
> description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
> tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
> arcades...

Good luck finding one.
Arcades no longer exist in my area or any place I travel.

Boody Bandit wrote:
> "BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message
>
>>"Fred Liken" <fredliken@toocool4school.com> wrote in message
>>
>>>"BC" <animusainthere@ihug.co.nzorami> wrote in message

>>>I think it was just Superman. It was kind of lame, IIRC, but for some
>>>reason it was addictive.
>>>
>>>Is this it?
>>>http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=&game_id=9977
>>
>>Not a 100% sure - I seem to recall a much better looking game... but the
>>description seems to be the same, so it's probably just my memory playing
>>tricks on me. Ahhhh to be a kid again - maybe it's time I return to the
>>arcades...
>

> Good luck finding one.
> Arcades no longer exist in my area or any place I travel.

We have 2 left here, one is part of a pizza/laser tag place. The other
is with a minature golf course and go-cart track. None left in the malls
or anything like it used to be though...not even sure how many games
even have arcade versions anymore since it has been so long since I
really stopped in one. After they left the malls here that was about it
for me, and only then as it was just in the proximity and to see what
was new. With the consoles getting so much better over the years it made
less and less sense to waste money at the arcades, for what you could
spend in there on a visit you could buy a cheap game for home.

TRENDING THREADS