Sign in with
Your question
Solved

No free ram?(8gb) Is there a problem or do I need more ram?

Last response: in Memory
January 15, 2013 10:03:47 PM

As the title says I have no free ram when I am doing general browsing so should I get more ram or is my ram bad.. I have two monitors and on one i usually have Twitch.tv open and the other i am just browsing 4chan or something. I am using google chrome it that means anything,
a b } Memory
a b C Monitor
January 15, 2013 10:25:30 PM

If you look at the breakdown of usage, you'll see that about 4GB is dedicated to cache. This is RAM that is used to speed up your computer until it's needed for something else. All modern operating systems operate under the basic mantra of: Free RAM is wasted RAM.
January 15, 2013 10:30:06 PM

Thanks for the response, makes senses. Do think that I should get more ram though?
Related resources

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b C Monitor
January 15, 2013 10:56:06 PM

It depends on what you're doing with the computer. If you do a lot of video editing or even photo editing, it might be useful. In your case, half your RAM is being used for auxiliary functions by the OS, so I don't think you're someone who needs more RAM. At least not yet. Once that "Available" figure drops down to maybe 1GB or less on a regular basis, you can think about adding more RAM. Otherwise, I'd say it's probably a waste of money, not that it'd hurt anything adding more.
January 17, 2013 11:14:34 PM

Best answer selected by Toxicsmoke.
!