Sign in with
Your question

First Htpc build

Last response: in Systems
December 6, 2011 5:55:52 PM

Ok here is what I have gotten so far. My goal is it needs to be portable so I can watch movies at work and it needs to be quiet. This is my first htpc build but I have built computers before so Im not a total noob.

Case- Silverstone Sugo Series SG05BB-450 Mini-ITX Case

Mobo- ASUS F1A75-IDELUXE F1A75 (/w wifi and bluetooth)

Dvd Drive- SAMSUNG 8X Slim Internal DVD Burner

HDD- 3tb hitachi 7200

CPU- AMD A8-3850 Llano 2.9GHz Socket FM1

Ram- Corsair 2x2gb 1600mhz CMX4GX3M2B1600C9 (old spare parts I had)

A few questions I have... Should I get better ram or more of it? What kind of software should I install? What OS should I be using?

Im thinking of using XBMC on a windows 7 x64. Things I still need to get are an aftermarket cooler and a slimline sata adapter for the dvd drive (kinda of retarded that it doesn't come with one). Do you think it would be possible to use a liquid CPU cooler? Im just trying to keep this as cool and quiet as possible. I dont plan on overclocking it. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks

More about : htpc build

December 6, 2011 6:00:56 PM

that's actually a beast system just like that... xbmc on windows 7 will work great with it... i wouldn't go for the liquid cooling it's not much more quiet, but the h60 should fit in that case if you want to give it a go. XBMC is the roxxor... I've replaced my 70$ a month satellite bill with hulu+ and Netflix on XBMC...
m
l
December 6, 2011 6:07:21 PM

That memory is fine and you in good shape overall. Most CPU coolers will fit that case, but look for a low profile like one of the ones below. While a water cooler would fit, there isn't much need for the additional expense.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Laptop DVD to SATA converter => http://www.amazon.com/StarTech-com-Internal-Optical-Ada...

OS / Apps => Win7 Home Premium 64 bit with PowerDVD or another player that supports Blu-Ray playback.

EDIT: Original CPU cooler listed was not for AM3 platform.
m
l
Related resources
December 6, 2011 6:13:36 PM

If you want to put water in there, you will need to sacrifice the 3.5 drive or mount the fan on the outside.

As said above, a good air cooler will do the job, but will need to be a slim one. I have a Geminii S on mine but needed some slight tweaking to make it fit with my board of choice + video card.

By the look of things, you will be pypassing the need for a video card. Very good idea. This will give you a bit more room for your heatsink.

Your low profile memory is great and give you more clearance for the heatsink.

I personally use Windows Media Center, but XBMC should be far more versatile.

I have not used that DVD drive, but I find many slim drives to be rather loud. So far I have a sony one that seems to be the quietest. My lite-on just spins up and down mid movie and was very loud(nero dvd/cd speed solves that).

Good luck with the build and have fun :) 

With some tweaking, everything fit right in. Now it only has one drive(was too loud with 2) and a thicker cpu fan(filed to make it a bit thinner to fit)
m
l
December 6, 2011 6:20:58 PM

with my setup I used an I5 650 and the stock heat sink ended up actually working best for me with noise and cooling overall... might work out with the stock amd fan... I would suggest testing it with it before spending the money on a low profile HSF... the low profile hs I got was a scythe with a thin 120 on the top... worked out well... but was actually less "low profile" than the stock HSF

(since we're showing off builds ;)  https://plus.google.com/photos/108227379284199907730/al... )
m
l
December 6, 2011 6:22:47 PM

slhpss said:

(since we're showing off builds ;)  https://plus.google.com/photos/108227379284199907730/al... )

Very cool.

I only swapped stock for that because the stock was getting way to loud(had an 775 heatsink "Bolted" to the board for a while, but settled on this since it was much quieter).

I find AMD's latest stock cooler is VERY loud, but the APU one may actually be quieter(very new design for AMD).
m
l
December 6, 2011 6:38:26 PM

did bolting it down reduce vibration sound?
m
l
December 6, 2011 6:47:09 PM

slhpss said:
did bolting it down reduce vibration sound?

Its an 1156(I5 750) board so bolting was to use the thicker quiet 775(Stock E6600) cooler.
m
l
December 6, 2011 6:53:56 PM

hmmm I have the 1156 socket and the cooler seems quiet to me... unless I'm crazy because I thought before I was using a 775 but couldn't remember.... but I remembered my board name... (I can't remember 775 v 1156 but I can remember dh57jg.... go figure) anyways though.... mine seems fairly quiet... though I do get a bit of vibration noise, but I'm pretty sure that's because of the 92 mm fan I have on the side which I'm gonna get a rubber vibration dampener for eventually.
m
l
December 6, 2011 8:42:32 PM

Yeah I figure I really didnt need a videocard at all. I guess Ill go with a low profile cpu fan. Thanks for all the suggestions guys.
m
l
December 6, 2011 9:04:40 PM

Yeah, give the stock fan a try first since it is free.

@ slhpss
I think its just because of how quiet everything else was. When I first set my media center up, it had a passive video card as well. and the noise was under load not idle. It was nothing like the heatsink that comes with a X4 955BE(loud even under light games).

The Core2 E6600 cooler was quieter(mostly due to it having more surface area and a slower fan speed thanks to lower temperatures).
m
l
December 7, 2011 2:12:36 AM

nukemaster said:
Yeah, give the stock fan a try first since it is free.

@ slhpss
I think its just because of how quiet everything else was. When I first set my media center up, it had a passive video card as well. and the noise was under load not idle. It was nothing like the heatsink that comes with a X4 955BE(loud even under light games).

The Core2 E6600 cooler was quieter(mostly due to it having more surface area and a slower fan speed thanks to lower temperatures).

well I guess I will see if the noise in my system if from the HSF or the case fan after I get a dampener for the case fan
m
l
December 7, 2011 2:37:46 AM

slhpss said:
well I guess I will see if the noise in my system if from the HSF or the case fan after I get a dampener for the case fan

Maybe i am too picky.

I was disappointed that my Maximus Gene-Z will not let me run my fans under 60%

Like i say. i found the stock cooler loud under load, but it was fine at idle and was still far better then the AMD 955BE stock cooler.

I am such a thread jacker....
m
l
!