Sign in with
Your question

Quick ? - New Build, Fan Question

Last response: in Components
March 11, 2012 4:13:36 AM

Hey all...I just have a quick question...

I am in the process of building a new comp and ran into something that confuzzled me. I bought the Phantom 410 case, and the wires were already pre-bunded and led down into the case. This will be my second build, so I'm not a dummy (most of the time), but I got very confused when I saw the fan connectors. There were a set of four 3-pin (only 2-pins attached) MALE connectors that I assume are for fan power. There was also a 4-pin molex which I can only assume is the fan controller.

I may be really dense atm, but where do I plug the 3-pin male connectors? My Asus P68 mobo only has male connectors that accept female fan connectors for fan power/control. I usually see molex/3-pin female connectors on aftermarket fans, so this threw me for a little loop. I thought that maybe the PSU (XFX 750w Semi-Modular) may have a connector (never seen one, but there's always hope), but no-go.

Would anyone be able to provide a quick answer so I can get over this little speed-bump? Thanks
a c 111 ) Power supply
March 11, 2012 4:20:02 AM

Take pictures. Those connectors should go to your mobo.
March 11, 2012 4:41:05 AM

3-pin male connectors from the case

3-pin male connectors on mobo

Related resources
a b ) Power supply
March 11, 2012 4:58:15 AM

You may need a 3pin female to male Molex adapter. unless the Fan Controller has the female 3-4pin connecters i would say you need that adapter like most fans come with. never heard of a fan that came with a case that was 3 pin male tho....hmm strange.
a c 111 ) Power supply
March 11, 2012 5:01:58 AM

Are those male connectors connected to anything? Are they just fans with male connectors? Or are they fans with a molex connection and then an adapter to male connectors.
March 11, 2012 5:02:07 AM

Thanks. That's what I was thinking. I was perusing Amazon and found the 3-pin female to 4-pin male/female adapter that would solve most my problems, but I was just wondering why the case fan connectors were so funky.

Anyway, thanks for the help. I'll keep this open for a lil bit to see if anyone who has experience with the Phantom 410 could speak up. Until then, I'll just do a quick order of the adapters.
March 11, 2012 5:10:13 AM

amuffin said:
Are those male connectors connected to anything? Are they just fans with male connectors? Or are they fans with a molex connection and then an adapter to male connectors.

I just now cut the tie-wrap that was originally holding all the bundled case wires and did see that the male 3-pin connectors were just extensions that are connected to female 3-pins. Whew. It makes much more sense.

However, since these fans have a fan controller on the top of the case, I would want to connect them via non-motherboard molex power, right? So I can control them manually, rather than having the mobo control them?
March 11, 2012 5:24:41 AM

Whoa whoa whoa whoa....Ok, I figured it out...

The male 3-pin extensions where leads coming from the fan controller. There were three 3-pin case fans connected to the males and THREE EXTRA male leads. I thought they were all on the same loop. Once I cut into the massive, neatly bundled wires and followed them, it became clear.

I apologize for the lapse of intelligence, but I appreciate all your help!

Now.......to rebundle allllllll those wires again...
a c 111 ) Power supply
March 11, 2012 5:41:45 AM

haha, alright have fun! :) 
!