S-Video Switcher Recommendations

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

The subject sez it all.
26 answers Last reply
More about video switcher recommendations
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Pay Butt Pirate, err Boody Bandit, 2 bucks a week to sit behind your TV and
    switch it on command. You'll have to retrain him though. I use him to pick
    up my dog's poop and he seems pretty tasked out doing that.

    "Billy J. Dancefloor" <bjd@com.net.org> wrote in message
    > The subject sez it all.
  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Billy J. Dancefloor" <bjd@com.net.org> wrote in message
    > The subject sez it all.

    I've got a six input Innovation switcher (five in back, one in the front)
    and a four input Pelican switcher. Both work just fine. The Pelican one is
    designed to match the PS2 (black with "ribs"). I like it because it comes
    with pre-printed switch plates for systems ranging from the N64 and
    Dreamcast to the PlayStation 2, Xbox and GameCube. The six switcher is
    smaller, believe it or not...more compact. I don't remember the prices of
    each, as I've had them for several years, but the six input was the more
    expensive of the two.
  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Billy J. Dancefloor <bjd@com.net.org> wrote:
    > The subject sez it all.

    Pelican makes 2 switches "for consoles"

    System Selector - 5 ports, composite video and s-video. Not powered, so
    you'll have to hit the buttons to switch from source to source. $20.

    System Selector Pro - 8 devices (7 back, 1 front) switches between
    composite, s-video and component video. 3 ports also include switching
    for ethernet and optical audio. Powered, but doesn't have a remote or
    source-detection so you'll still have to go up to the thing and hit the
    button to switch the source. Also doesn't convert between video signals,
    so if you have a mix of video inputs, you'll have to run separate outputs
    (the manual contains numerous example setups.) $80.

    I had the system selector until I got my Xbox, and then had too many
    component/optical audio devices, so I got a system selector pro and it
    works great. The only downsides, as I mentioned, is that because it
    doesn't convert between the video signals, I have to have separate video
    feeds going to my TV. This means I have to change the input source on my
    TV as well as on the switch. For example, VIDEO-1 is for my s-video
    devices, whereas VIDEO-4 is for my component video devices. (The only
    composite video device I have is the VCR, which is connected to the TV
    directly, instead of going through the switch.)

    Never experienced any degradation of picture with either unit.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    I'm lazy so I always purchase electronic switchers.
    Something like this will do the trick.

    http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3103&sku=40021&engine=adwords
    !654&keyword=%28s+video+switch%29
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Boody Bandit <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > I'm lazy so I always purchase electronic switchers.
    > Something like this will do the trick.

    > http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3103&sku=40021&engine=adwords
    > !654&keyword=%28s+video+switch%29

    $70 is pretty pricey for a 4 port switch if you ask me.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Billy J. Dancefloor" <bjd@com.net.org> wrote in message
    > The subject sez it all.

    Cheapest one that Radio Shack sells.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Doug Jacobs" <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote in message
    > In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Boody Bandit
    <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote:
    > > I'm lazy so I always purchase electronic switchers.
    > > Something like this will do the trick.

    http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3103&sku=40021&engine=adwords
    > > !654&keyword=%28s+video+switch%29
    >
    > $70 is pretty pricey for a 4 port switch if you ask me.

    Well I did say "something" like this will do the trick.
    I don't have any S-video cords in my setup so I wouldn't know what's
    expensive for this type of switcher.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Eric" <nospam@nospam.not> wrote in message

    > "Billy J. Dancefloor" <bjd@com.net.org> wrote in message
    > > The subject sez it all.
    >
    > Cheapest one that Radio Shack sells.

    The cheapest way to go would be to purchase a couple y adapters and daisy
    chain them together.
    The only problem with that is you can only have one component powered at a
    time.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Boody Bandit wrote:
    > I'm lazy so I always purchase electronic switchers.
    > Something like this will do the trick.
    >
    > http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3103&sku=40021&engine=adwords
    > !654&keyword=%28s+video+switch%29

    a s-vide switcher boody? surely you jest with all your high end reciever
    and tv inputs?!
  10. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    > Boody Bandit wrote:
    > > I'm lazy so I always purchase electronic switchers.
    > > Something like this will do the trick.

    http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3103&sku=40021&engine=adwords
    > > !654&keyword=%28s+video+switch%29
    > >

    > a s-vide switcher boody? surely you jest with all your high end reciever
    > and tv inputs?!

    Nope, I don't have "any" s-video cords in my setup.
    Only component and higher (DVI and HDMI).
  11. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Eric wrote:
    > "Billy J. Dancefloor" <bjd@com.net.org> wrote in message
    >
    >>The subject sez it all.
    >

    > Cheapest one that Radio Shack sells.

    no way! have you tried walmart yet?
  12. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Boody Bandit wrote:
    > "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Boody Bandit wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm lazy so I always purchase electronic switchers.
    >>>Something like this will do the trick.
    >>>

    > http://www.cablestogo.com/product.asp?cat%5Fid=3103&sku=40021&engine=adwords
    >
    >>>!654&keyword=%28s+video+switch%29
    >>>

    >>a s-vide switcher boody? surely you jest with all your high end reciever
    >>and tv inputs?!
    >

    > Nope, I don't have "any" s-video cords in my setup.
    > Only component and higher (DVI and HDMI).

    well there you go, I knew it was bar-none for you :)

    I didn't realize tell the otehr day in an article that HDMI is
    essentially DVI wrapped up with audio. I'm looking foward to upgrading.
    Right now I'm kicking it with a Sony 43" RPTV. Thinking of upgrading
    when I move but what I don't like is the security portion of HDMI,
    HDCP.The industry is going to force people to record in NTSC
    resolutions, encrptying and decrypting the signal on both sides of
    "approved devices".

    Hell, the consortiums even want to get rid of commercial skip in TIVO,
    some markets not even letting folks fast foward through the commercials
    now...What the hell is this world coming to....suppose I'll be able to
    plunk down some extra dough to crack that encryption huh?

    What kind of setup do you have? Plasma, LCD, Inches, home theatre pc?
  13. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > Boody Bandit wrote:

    > What kind of setup do you have? Plasma, LCD, Inches, home theatre pc?

    I already responded twice about what setup I have but I still don't see
    posted here.
    Is it that I just don't see them or didn't they ever get sent?
    Sometimes my ISP just plain sux.
  14. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    > Boody Bandit,
    >
    > What kind of setup do you have? Plasma, LCD, Inches, home theatre pc?

    He has an original Zenith color TV that he was handcuffed to in a motel
    after arranging an encounter via a phone number in a rest stop. He had to
    run naked with that TV in his arms for miles.

    You didn't read about it on google news?
  15. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "Boody Bandit" <boodybandit@hotmail.com> wrote in message

    > "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    > > Boody Bandit wrote:
    >
    > > What kind of setup do you have? Plasma, LCD, Inches, home theatre pc?
    >
    > I already responded twice about what setup I have but I still don't see
    > posted here.
    > Is it that I just don't see them or didn't they ever get sent?
    > Sometimes my ISP just plain sux.

    Well just incase it wasn't posted.

    My setup consist of:
    Video - DLProjector / Sim2 300e w/ a 110 Da-Lite Screen w/High Power
    material.
    Speakers n sub - B&W (7.1 configuration), SVS B4+ (4 -12" drivers in 1
    enclosure) <--soon to be adding more subs, I likes BASS!
    Equipment / hardware - Processor: Anthem AV30, amp: Sherbourn 7/2100, sub
    amp Crown K2, Rane PE17 (parametric EQ for sub) and a HTPC (3.4 w/2g ram)
  16. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:

    > Hell, the consortiums even want to get rid of commercial skip in TIVO,
    > some markets not even letting folks fast foward through the commercials
    > now...What the hell is this world coming to....suppose I'll be able to
    > plunk down some extra dough to crack that encryption huh?

    Tivo doesn't have commercial skip. There's a backdoor to enable 30-sec.
    skip, but that's different than what ReplayTV used to do. As I recall,
    there was quite an uproar when ReplayTV tried to do an "update" that
    removed the feature from their boxes.

    If Tivo got rid of the ability to FF through shows, then that's basically
    going to be the end of Tivo. The only way I'd even consider accepting
    such a thing would be if the Tivo had no more subscription fees. So, for
    instance, advertisers or networks would pay Tivo to make their commercials
    "un-fast-forwardable".

    Even then, if Tivo offered a premium service that let you ff through
    commercials, I'd probably still sign up. It's nice being able to compress
    an hour of TV into 44 minutes.
  17. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Boody Bandit wrote:
    > "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote in message
    >
    >>Boody Bandit wrote:
    >

    >>What kind of setup do you have? Plasma, LCD, Inches, home theatre pc?
    >

    > I already responded twice about what setup I have but I still don't see
    > posted here.
    > Is it that I just don't see them or didn't they ever get sent?
    > Sometimes my ISP just plain sux.

    sorry boody, I never saw 'em. I figured you just skipped on my post :)
  18. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Doug Jacobs wrote:
    > In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Hell, the consortiums even want to get rid of commercial skip in TIVO,
    >>some markets not even letting folks fast foward through the commercials
    >>now...What the hell is this world coming to....suppose I'll be able to
    >>plunk down some extra dough to crack that encryption huh?
    >

    > Tivo doesn't have commercial skip. There's a backdoor to enable 30-sec.
    > skip, but that's different than what ReplayTV used to do. As I recall,
    > there was quite an uproar when ReplayTV tried to do an "update" that
    > removed the feature from their boxes.
    >
    > If Tivo got rid of the ability to FF through shows, then that's basically
    > going to be the end of Tivo. The only way I'd even consider accepting
    > such a thing would be if the Tivo had no more subscription fees. So, for
    > instance, advertisers or networks would pay Tivo to make their commercials
    > "un-fast-forwardable".
    >
    > Even then, if Tivo offered a premium service that let you ff through
    > commercials, I'd probably still sign up. It's nice being able to compress
    > an hour of TV into 44 minutes.

    Ohh....I haven't plunked down the change for Tivo yet. Although I've
    heard the earlier versions were extremely hackable, I don't exactly know
    where its at now; I picked that tidbit out of CPU Mag.

    I mostly just download what ever shows I miss, but I'm not a big
    collector (of TV shows anyways). Mostly just South Park Episodes and the
    Office, wifey needs Desperate Housewives and Charmed. I think I'll go
    with the HTPC with capture card setup when I upgrade the TV though
    (hopefully to OLED if its in supply).
  19. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote
    > > Cheapest one that Radio Shack sells.
    > >

    > no way! have you tried walmart yet?

    LOL. Thats true. Even Radio Shack has become a Mobster Cable whore these
    days. What happened to the days when RS was where you went to get cheap BS
    that worked just fine?

    The "Golden Eyes / Golden Ears" crowd would have a heart attack if they saw
    the switch box I'm using to switch between two component feeds going into my
    HDTV. I'm using a $5 composite A/B box. Red, blue, green going to yellow,
    red, white. Works just fine. No loss in PQ at all.

    Cheers!
    -Eric
  20. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Eric wrote:
    > "theOne" <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote
    >
    >>>Cheapest one that Radio Shack sells.
    >>>

    >>no way! have you tried walmart yet?
    >

    > LOL. Thats true. Even Radio Shack has become a Mobster Cable whore these
    > days. What happened to the days when RS was where you went to get cheap BS
    > that worked just fine?
    >
    > The "Golden Eyes / Golden Ears" crowd would have a heart attack if they saw
    > the switch box I'm using to switch between two component feeds going into my
    > HDTV. I'm using a $5 composite A/B box. Red, blue, green going to yellow,
    > red, white. Works just fine. No loss in PQ at all.
    >
    > Cheers!
    > -Eric

    sweet :)

    likewise, I was at walmart yesterday and saw an RCA 4 SVideo Switch Box
    for $18.94.
  21. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:

    > Ohh....I haven't plunked down the change for Tivo yet. Although I've
    > heard the earlier versions were extremely hackable, I don't exactly know
    > where its at now; I picked that tidbit out of CPU Mag.

    The discontinued, "series one", models are easier to mod. The boxes you
    see in stores now are from "series two". You can still do a lot to them,
    but many of the more complicated things, like running a webserver on the
    Tivo so you could set your programs over the network, don't work. However
    the newer Tivos have some features that the older ones don't have - like
    Tivo-To-Go, which allows you to download shows from your Tivo to your PC,
    where they can be viewed.

    Both models come with hidden features that have been turned off - like
    turning one of the buttons on your Tivo remote into a 30 second skip.
    These can be turned on by punching in various codes via the remote. This
    allows you to skip forward 30 seconds - about the length of one
    commercial. So when a commercial break comes on, just punch the skip
    button 4 or 5 times, and you'll usually end up pretty close to the
    begining of the program again.

    > I mostly just download what ever shows I miss, but I'm not a big
    > collector (of TV shows anyways). Mostly just South Park Episodes and the
    > Office, wifey needs Desperate Housewives and Charmed. I think I'll go
    > with the HTPC with capture card setup when I upgrade the TV though
    > (hopefully to OLED if its in supply).

    Some of the series two Tivos come with a DVD burner, allowing you to burn
    shows directly to disc for later archiving. The only downside is that it
    can only dump entire shows - including the commercials. So if you wanted
    a true archive copy, you'd have to take the DVD to your computer, edit out
    the commercials and burn that version to disc. Still, it's a lot faster
    burning a show to disc vs. dumping it to a VCR.

    Tivo is a very nice product. You can get an 80-hour model for $100 now.
    That doesn't include service, which is $20/mo, or $300 for the life of the
    unit (it is transferable if the unit dies under warranty). A HTPC may
    offer you more flexibility and options, but I haven't been very impressed
    with their UI or stability so far.
  22. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 Eric <nospam@nospam.not> wrote:

    > LOL. Thats true. Even Radio Shack has become a Mobster Cable whore these
    > days. What happened to the days when RS was where you went to get cheap BS
    > that worked just fine?

    Yeah, last time I went to RS, they had all their non-Monster stuff on
    clearance. Oh well. I got this weird combo cable that had a composite
    video cable bundled with a optical audio cable. At first I thought it was
    a coax-audio cable, but the packaging specifically said the bundle was for
    audio/video dubbing, though for the life of me, I can't think of a
    situation where I'd use composite video with optical audio... The cables
    could be separated, and at $7 for 6', I bought two. To his credit, the
    sales clerk didn't try to sell me a Monster Cable. I don't think he was
    thrilled with the switchover anymore than I was. He also didn't know what
    that bundle would be used for, but agreed that $7 for a 6' optical cable
    was a really good bargin.

    > The "Golden Eyes / Golden Ears" crowd would have a heart attack if they saw
    > the switch box I'm using to switch between two component feeds going into my
    > HDTV. I'm using a $5 composite A/B box. Red, blue, green going to yellow,
    > red, white. Works just fine. No loss in PQ at all.

    Heh. I did the same thing for my PS2 and DVD player. The PS2's red and
    white audio cables went into the TV as normal, and I found a Y-connector
    for optical cables that I used for the PS2 and DVD player. Worked great,
    no switching required. Although I had to be careful not to have the DVD
    player on at the same time as the PS2, or I'd get no sound from either of
    them (the receiver was smart enough to not play a mixed signal.)
  23. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    Doug Jacobs wrote:
    > In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:
    >

    >>Ohh....I haven't plunked down the change for Tivo yet. Although I've
    >>heard the earlier versions were extremely hackable, I don't exactly know
    >>where its at now; I picked that tidbit out of CPU Mag.
    >

    > The discontinued, "series one", models are easier to mod. The boxes you
    > see in stores now are from "series two". You can still do a lot to them,
    > but many of the more complicated things, like running a webserver on the
    > Tivo so you could set your programs over the network, don't work. However
    > the newer Tivos have some features that the older ones don't have - like
    > Tivo-To-Go, which allows you to download shows from your Tivo to your PC,
    > where they can be viewed.
    >
    > Both models come with hidden features that have been turned off - like
    > turning one of the buttons on your Tivo remote into a 30 second skip.
    > These can be turned on by punching in various codes via the remote. This
    > allows you to skip forward 30 seconds - about the length of one
    > commercial. So when a commercial break comes on, just punch the skip
    > button 4 or 5 times, and you'll usually end up pretty close to the
    > begining of the program again.
    >

    >>I mostly just download what ever shows I miss, but I'm not a big
    >>collector (of TV shows anyways). Mostly just South Park Episodes and the
    >>Office, wifey needs Desperate Housewives and Charmed. I think I'll go
    >>with the HTPC with capture card setup when I upgrade the TV though
    >>(hopefully to OLED if its in supply).
    >

    > Some of the series two Tivos come with a DVD burner, allowing you to burn
    > shows directly to disc for later archiving. The only downside is that it
    > can only dump entire shows - including the commercials. So if you wanted
    > a true archive copy, you'd have to take the DVD to your computer, edit out
    > the commercials and burn that version to disc. Still, it's a lot faster
    > burning a show to disc vs. dumping it to a VCR.
    >
    > Tivo is a very nice product. You can get an 80-hour model for $100 now.
    > That doesn't include service, which is $20/mo, or $300 for the life of the
    > unit (it is transferable if the unit dies under warranty). A HTPC may
    > offer you more flexibility and options, but I haven't been very impressed
    > with their UI or stability so far.

    Thanks for the info. The button mashing (for 30 sec) and burn to dvd
    only to redit on the pc sounds like a major drawback to me; so much so
    that it wouldn't be worth the purchase to me. I thought the whole idea
    was not having to view the show or be there while recording. And wasting
    a DVD? Althouht not in keeping with the DRM, I think that direct hard
    drive access va FTP would be much better idea.

    Anyways, I've heard the biggest drawback to HTPC has been the quality of
    rip. What codec does Tivo use, if any?

    Think for the time being, I'll just utilize the 'net in downloading
    someone else's HDTV or DTV rip.
  24. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    > Thanks for the info. The button mashing (for 30 sec) and burn to dvd only
    > to redit on the pc sounds like a major drawback to me; so much so that it
    > wouldn't be worth the purchase to me. I thought the whole idea was not
    > having to view the show or be there while recording. And wasting a DVD?
    > Althouht not in keeping with the DRM, I think that direct hard drive
    > access va FTP would be much better idea.

    You can remove the DRM from the Tivo-to-Go files, so basically you can just
    copy them to your PC via the T2G software and burn them to a DVD after
    editing out the comercials, but once it's on the PC editing out the
    commercials is easy.

    > Anyways, I've heard the biggest drawback to HTPC has been the quality of
    > rip. What codec does Tivo use, if any?

    Proprietary. You used to be able to convert them by hacking the TIVO so you
    could FTP them then convert them on a PC, etc, but that's old school now
    that T2G is out.

    > Think for the time being, I'll just utilize the 'net in downloading
    > someone else's HDTV or DTV rip.

    I've never really had the need to get stuff off the Tivo because almost
    everything is on DVDs now a days anyways and the quality is so much better.
  25. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:

    > Thanks for the info. The button mashing (for 30 sec) and burn to dvd
    > only to redit on the pc sounds like a major drawback to me; so much so
    > that it wouldn't be worth the purchase to me. I thought the whole idea
    > was not having to view the show or be there while recording. And wasting
    > a DVD? Althouht not in keeping with the DRM, I think that direct hard
    > drive access va FTP would be much better idea.

    The main selling point of the Tivo has always been its software and
    interface. Although you can program the Tivo like a VCR, the preferred
    method is to just give the Tivo a list of programs you want recorded. The
    Tivo then creates its own schedule based on the guide information it
    downloads each day. So when Fox decides to scramble its schedule, you
    don't have to worry about missing an episode because Tivo knows when your
    shows are on. In the case of a conflict, it uses the list to determine
    which show has priority. Moving a show higher on the list means it will
    win a conflict with a lower-listed show. You can also define keywords,
    allowing you to tell the Tivo to record any show with "Chinese" and
    "Cooking" in the description, or "Movie, actor=Jackie Chan" It's an
    incredibly powerful and flexible feature that I've yet to see from any of
    the home-brew HTPC solutions.

    Granted, I don't really care about archiving shows, so once I watch it, I
    delete it...

    If I was interested in archiving, the Tivos with DVD burners can use DVDRW
    discs, so you aren't really "wasting" a DVD to transfer the data to your
    PC. I agree, though, that being able to directly access the shows on the
    HD and do whatever you want to them would be optimal, but unfortunatly,
    that's not really going to happen with a corporate product...
  26. Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 (More info?)

    In article <116aeekn9gbgt76@corp.supernews.com>, Doug Jacobs <djacobs@shell.rawbw.com> wrote:
    >In alt.games.video.sony-playstation2 theOne <theOneOne@dodgeit.com> wrote:
    >
    >> Ohh....I haven't plunked down the change for Tivo yet. Although I've
    >> heard the earlier versions were extremely hackable, I don't exactly know
    >> where its at now; I picked that tidbit out of CPU Mag.
    >
    >The discontinued, "series one", models are easier to mod. The boxes you
    >see in stores now are from "series two". You can still do a lot to them,
    >but many of the more complicated things, like running a webserver on the
    >Tivo so you could set your programs over the network, don't work. However
    >the newer Tivos have some features that the older ones don't have - like
    >Tivo-To-Go, which allows you to download shows from your Tivo to your PC,
    >where they can be viewed.
    >
    >Both models come with hidden features that have been turned off - like
    >turning one of the buttons on your Tivo remote into a 30 second skip.
    >These can be turned on by punching in various codes via the remote. This
    >allows you to skip forward 30 seconds - about the length of one
    >commercial. So when a commercial break comes on, just punch the skip
    >button 4 or 5 times, and you'll usually end up pretty close to the
    >begining of the program again.
    >
    >> I mostly just download what ever shows I miss, but I'm not a big
    >> collector (of TV shows anyways). Mostly just South Park Episodes and the
    >> Office, wifey needs Desperate Housewives and Charmed. I think I'll go
    >> with the HTPC with capture card setup when I upgrade the TV though
    >> (hopefully to OLED if its in supply).
    >
    >Some of the series two Tivos come with a DVD burner, allowing you to burn
    >shows directly to disc for later archiving. The only downside is that it
    >can only dump entire shows - including the commercials. So if you wanted
    >a true archive copy, you'd have to take the DVD to your computer, edit out
    >the commercials and burn that version to disc. Still, it's a lot faster
    >burning a show to disc vs. dumping it to a VCR.
    >
    >Tivo is a very nice product. You can get an 80-hour model for $100 now.
    >That doesn't include service, which is $20/mo, or $300 for the life of the
    >unit (it is transferable if the unit dies under warranty). A HTPC may
    >offer you more flexibility and options, but I haven't been very impressed
    >with their UI or stability so far.
    Its $4.99 if you have a DirecTV Tivo model or $12 a month if i remember
    correctly for the standalone cable tv models.

Console Gaming Video Sony Games Xbox Video Games