No space left on hard drive

Hi, I bought a brand new Windows 7 HP intel pentium laptop a few weeks ago, it has a 700gb hard drive, however a few days into using it I had a pop up telling me that I had low disc space, upon deleting a few things, I managed to free up 20gb but my space continues to lower even after deleting various software. I have nothing on my laptop that takes up anywhere near 100gb let alone 700, what could be the problem ?. Thankyou.
16 answers Last reply
More about space left hard drive
  1. it could be windows restore taking up space, but after only a few weeks I wouldn't think it would eat up 700 gb. Call up HP and ask them.
  2. You might have a malware infucktion. Scan and clean.
  3. What Partition is the message warning you about ? -- If the manufacturer loaded a recovery partition into a hidden partition on the HDD it might just be windows is reporting that that partition is almost full and not your system partition -- anytime any partition gets to under 10-20% available it will report it to you and if the manufacturer created a small partition to store the recovery files on they usually make it only slightly larger than needed so if windows is set to report on that partition it will always report it as nearly full (even though it is set up to be that way !!)

    WHat does my computer report as for your HDD as free and used space ?
  4. JDFan said:
    What Partition is the message warning you about ? -- If the manufacturer loaded a recovery partition into a hidden partition on the HDD it might just be windows is reporting that that partition is almost full and not your system partition -- anytime any partition gets to under 10-20% available it will report it to you and if the manufacturer created a small partition to store the recovery files on they usually make it only slightly larger than needed so if windows is set to report on that partition it will always report it as nearly full (even though it is set up to be that way !!)

    WHat does my computer report as for your HDD as free and used space ?



    Thanks for all the replies. My C drive in the my computer section says I have 6.94gb left out of 684gb
  5. are you using avg by any chance?

    had some one a week ago with the same problem

    no matter how much he deleted avg was creating huge dump files and filling the whole hard drive up
  6. Viper350 said:
    Thanks for all the replies. My C drive in the my computer section says I have 6.94gb left out of 684gb


    IN that case it sounds like you might have a virus or other malware that is affecting the system -- or the HDD is defective and having most of its space marked as BAD sectors that the OS then will no longer use --- Since it is a new system I'd take it in for the store to look at or replace.
  7. No, the only software I use for security is Mcafee, not sure if that helps.
  8. Is the Windows installation on a partition by any chance?
  9. cant you find where the files taking the space up are by browsing the hard drive?

    thats what i did for the person with the avg problem--the files were so big it was simple to find them--then i

    identified avg was causing them

    making sure hidden and operating system files were unhidden when looking
  10. Use a program like Folder Size from Mindgems and figure out what's taking up all the room. I heart that program.
  11. http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/ <--- this will give you a picture that will show your biggest files grouped into folders...
  12. mmaatt747 said:
    Is the Windows installation on a partition by any chance?


    I don't know. Not sure what that means :(
  13. mcnumpty23 said:
    cant you find where the files taking the space up are by browsing the hard drive?

    thats what i did for the person with the avg problem--the files were so big it was simple to find them--then i

    identified avg was causing them

    making sure hidden and operating system files were unhidden when looking


    I'll check. Thanks :)
  14. SinisterSalad said:
    Use a program like Folder Size from Mindgems and figure out what's taking up all the room. I heart that program.


    Thanks! Just checking it out now.
  15. slhpss said:
    http://windirstat.sourceforge.net/ <--- this will give you a picture that will show your biggest files grouped into folders...


    massive help. Thankyou!. Thanks to everyone who helped, it was all useful. :hello:
  16. what was the file of issue? I've seen Mcafee and Symantec have an ever expanding virus definition file on machines which is the first thing that came to my mind
Ask a new question

Read More

Drivers Laptops Hewlett Packard Hard Drives Windows 7