Sign in with
Your question
Solved

RAM affecting gaming performance drastically.

Last response: in Memory
January 16, 2013 3:23:27 AM

Recently one of my sticks of ram of the 2x4gb was DOA but haven't noticed since i upgraded from a 32bit windows 7 to 64bit. When playing battlefield 3 with 4gb of RAM i am getting 30 fps on low and sometimes it will drop to 2 fps for several minutes. At 8gb dual channel everything is fine but with 4gb i thought i could still play at stable frames, guess not.

So is it my ram or is there something wrong with my computer (viruses, malware, ect.) because i don't think RAM will affect a game by 50%.

My rig:
Mobo: p67a-c43 (b3)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance low-profile 4gb 1600mhz
CPU: i3 2120 3.3ghz
GPU: MSI GTX 550 ti (factory overclocked)

Settings for battlefield 3: currently low, was on high with motion blur off and AA.
Framerate (before problem)- 40-60

I am ordering new RAM that will be here the next day but i want to know why RAM affected the performance so much when on other threads people say it shouldn't affect the game unless you are running a lot of backgrounds applications which i dont.

Best solution

a c 90 } Memory
January 16, 2013 3:39:20 AM

it simple with 4g of ram you lose 750k of it to the intel mb leaving your system with 3.2g of ram to start loading windows.
windows is going to take a chuck of that ram for the os and your anti virus program and video control panel and the audio control panel at start up. then windows is going to set some of it up as a swap file/min ram drive. what left is the ram left for programs and games. with 4g of extra ram windows and the game can load a lot of the game into a ram drive so that there no cpu/gpu bottle neck.
January 16, 2013 1:27:31 PM

Best answer selected by Peacefulanimator.
m
l
!