Sign in with
Your question

I broke the pcie slot clip for the gfx. Will this damage the card?

Last response: in Motherboards
January 16, 2013 5:50:06 AM

I had to take my graphics card out of the case and I forgot about the little sliding clip at the end of the pcie slot. I didn't slide it back and it broke as I was taking the card out.

I put the card back in and tightened the screws down as tight as I could to make up for the possible lack of support. Its works fine.

I also put the card into the second slot and looked at how the clip worked, it just prevents the card from being taken out, it doesn't really hold it up.

I'm not sure though, will this somehow damage the card in the long term? What is the function of that little clip? I could possible fix it back onto the motherboard.

a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 6:34:16 AM

dannyritz said:
I had to take my graphics card out of the case and I forgot about the little sliding clip at the end of the pcie slot. I didn't slide it back and it broke as I was taking the card out.

I put the card back in and tightened the screws down as tight as I could to make up for the possible lack of support. Its works fine.

I also put the card into the second slot and looked at how the clip worked, it just prevents the card from being taken out, it doesn't really hold it up.

I'm not sure though, will this somehow damage the card in the long term? What is the function of that little clip? I could possible fix it back onto the motherboard.

The clip is really essential for fixing the card in.with today's bandwidth of transfer there is always a good tendency for the card to go out without screws or clips. If it even gets distorted even a millimeter it may result in your machine abruptly shutting off /distorted display / poor performance/ blue screen and last but not the least damage of your card. I have saw people sticking the cards with black tapes...but it won't really help in the long run. I would recommend you to take the main-board/entire chassis to a good computer repair/ hardware shop and take their recommendations. They would surely be of some help. :) 
m
l
January 16, 2013 7:02:38 AM

The card is screwed in really well though. I don't think it can move. I would take it to a computer repair shop, the only problem is I'm in a place where there aren't any.

When you say the card has a tendency to go out without screws or clips do you mean come out of its socket? I do have a second slot to use and I did try the card on that that and the clip didn't touch the card, it just goes over the little end.

Could I use a wire tie to make sure it stays in place?
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 7:31:35 AM

dannyritz said:
The card is screwed in really well though. I don't think it can move. I would take it to a computer repair shop, the only problem is I'm in a place where there aren't any.

When you say the card has a tendency to go out without screws or clips do you mean come out of its socket? I do have a second slot to use and I did try the card on that that and the clip didn't touch the card, it just goes over the little end.

Could I use a wire tie to make sure it stays in place?

Thats odd....every PCI x16 slot should be same...a card that fits in one should fit in other....and yeah by going out i meant the card moving out of the socket. Can you tell me which mainboard you are using so that i can get a closer look ?
m
l
January 16, 2013 7:35:02 AM

It did fit the other x16 slot, I meant that the clip didn't seem to be holding the card at all, thats what I meant by not touching. I'm using an Asrock Extreme 4.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 7:41:35 AM

dannyritz said:
It did fit the other x16 slot, I meant that the clip didn't seem to be holding the card at all, thats what I meant by not touching. I'm using an Asrock Extreme 4.

Well can not speak of a defective slot (clip not touching means slot is defective....provided your handling is right) for a brand like AsRock and a board like Extreme 4. Try it again I would say.There must be some alignment defectives....................the main board/chassis/platform on which main board is mounted.
m
l
January 16, 2013 7:59:58 AM

Both slots are fine, I booted up from both and the board detects the card, games run fine.

I'm not explaining myself well enough. I put the card into the 2nd slot and I push the clip and it clicks into place. The clip doesn't appear to be making direct contact with the card. The card is deep into the slot. the reason I didn't keep it in that second slot with the working clip is because it is pcie 3.0 x8. the first slot, whose clip I broke is an x16. I figured that was better so I put it back.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 8:05:17 AM

dannyritz said:
Both slots are fine, I booted up from both and the board detects the card, games run fine.

I'm not explaining myself well enough. I put the card into the 2nd slot and I push the clip and it clicks into place. The clip doesn't appear to be making direct contact with the card. The card is deep into the slot. the reason I didn't keep it in that second slot with the working clip is because it is pcie 3.0 x8. the first slot, whose clip I broke is an x16. I figured that was better so I put it back.

Well then I guess the first is an PCIe x16 is a 2.0/2.1 and your gpu is similar. If you are a regular gamer I can not say much then using it in the first slot...Just be sure to take it to the hardware shop within 3 months...do not push it longer as far as your gpu's longevity is concerned.Best of luck ;) 
m
l
January 16, 2013 8:23:18 AM

Thank you! I think it should be ok where it is, it looks secure... At the first sign of trouble I'll shift it to the second slot.

fyi, The first slot is a 3.0 x16.
m
l
January 19, 2013 4:43:31 AM

This is just an update for anyone else who might be reading this.

I googled and it seems that lots of people have had this problem where their retention clip broke. They say its only a problem with a cheaper case where if you screw in the card at the back of the case it creates a pressure on the opposing end of the card. The clip then prevents it from popping out.

If you move your case around alot or or taking it into a car then be careful about vibrations, might be a good idea to take the card out I think. Other than that just make sure its tightly fastened with the screws and it all should be fine.
m
l
June 24, 2013 1:47:43 PM

Hi Dannyritz,
Was interested to see your post. I have done the exact same thing and broke my clip. I was removing the graphics card to send it back to Overclockers as I have been experiencing ongoing problems with a BSOD during gaming. I can't believe I forgot the clip. Could you give me an update as to whether this caused you any ongoing problems.
Thanks
Carol

m
l
June 25, 2013 5:48:16 AM

Hi Carol. No problems experienced so far. Since I broke the clip I gamed everyday for about 2 months without a single hitch. I had to pack my computer up for about 4 months and it was unused. When I unpacked it it booted up perfectly fine. I don't think there's anything to worry about. I can't believe I forgot the clip either.

There is one thing though but I'm sure its not related to the clip. When I play old games like UT2004 or a new one like Faster Than Light, there is a whine that comes from the graphics card, but only when I am in the menus. When I play the game it disappears. It doesn't come when I play any of the newer games (Farcry 3, Dishonoured etc).
m
l
February 8, 2014 12:31:48 AM

I have got a PC set up with the motherboard - AsRock Z87M Extreme 4. The strange thing is everywhere I look online it's got the normal pushing down PCIe Tabs/locks, but on mine for each x16 slot I got a small sliding tab that I think is mentioned in the question in this post, I just wanted to know how to install graphics card to the Slot. DO I PUSH THE TAB AWAY FROM THE SLOT AND INSTALL THE GPU AND LET IT CLIP DOWN ITSELF BY FORCE??? And then obviously I would screw the end to case... Lol I'm just worried don't want to damage any of brand new parts for first ever PC Build and want to start gaming with no problems on my new MSI GTX 760 TF OC.. Phat card
m
l
February 8, 2014 1:41:27 AM

K4MR4N said:
I have got a PC set up with the motherboard - AsRock Z87M Extreme 4. The strange thing is everywhere I look online it's got the normal pushing down PCIe Tabs/locks, but on mine for each x16 slot I got a small sliding tab that I think is mentioned in the question in this post, I just wanted to know how to install graphics card to the Slot. DO I PUSH THE TAB AWAY FROM THE SLOT AND INSTALL THE GPU AND LET IT CLIP DOWN ITSELF BY FORCE??? And then obviously I would screw the end to case... Lol I'm just worried don't want to damage any of brand new parts for first ever PC Build and want to start gaming with no problems on my new MSI GTX 760 TF OC.. Phat card

The graphics card slot is a pcie slot and has a sliding tab that you need to push yourself. The RAM slots have tabs that self lock when you push the ram sticks down. For the graphics card just make sure the tab is pushed away from the slot, push the card in securely and then push the tab back into its original place, it will make a small clicking sound when you do. Then screw the end of the card into the case.
m
l
March 10, 2014 9:35:54 AM

From my experience it's easy to run into issues where you wind up using the wrong mobo standoff screws, I know there are two different sizes and usually your cases should come with both but lately all the NZXT and corsair cases I've purchases have only come with one set and usually they're already installed.

The reason I mention this is because I remember a cheap case I was messing with and had to figure out which set of y own stand offs to use and remembered back when I was cub younger than I had a build where I didn't screw any PCI related cards in fully because it would fore the rear end of a GPU out or something similar.

I am currently running a build with a broken clip for the 1st pciex16 slot and i might consider using the 2nd x16 slot but I'm running some funny a** quad sli setup using 2 EVGA GTX 590s but I'm not worried because I know the spacing between the mobo, the back of the case, and the installed standoff screws are all perfectly spaced.

More directly regarding the OP I wouldn't worry about using the first slot unless screwing the GPU into the case does force the back of the GPUs pciex16 slot to slip out, in which case I'd recommend using the 2nd slot until you can replace the case unless you think it's the stand off screws. It sounds like it's the case if the 2nd slot didn't break from having the GPU installed there.

I've found cheap cases to have bad spacing and cause my pcix1 and pcix4 sound cards not seat properly into their slots.

I stumbled across this thread when looking for more information regarding PCI risers which I've been reading can be used for GPUs which sounds very interesting if used properly and if the extensions aren't of some low quality bs that could cause potential damage, I don't have any experience with these risers just yet but will have some soon. You should do some research on by his topic and see if you find any solutions using this route if your other option are too cumbersome or what have you.

I was just scanning the posts so I don't know if someone had mentioned the risers as an option. Also regarding GPUs not being seated perfectly being problematic (I'm paraphrasing) I've never had or heard of this sort of issue I've seen some bootleg set ups with no screws and without the clip, clipped onto a GPU and seen set ups run fine though I would not recommend doing that unless your laying your case on its side so the weight the card isn't pulling down but instead when laying down holding it in the slot better. Sorry for funky wording I usually get a lil' sloppy at the end of long posts especially during my awkward hours (too early or too late in the day).

Anyways hope some of this helped in some way, good luck =)
m
l
March 11, 2014 8:16:59 AM

My GFX card is fine .. bit of a late reply now cuz i've been running my pc for few months now (works great!) as I can remember I had to slot the 760 into the PCIe slot and push it down so its nice and snug , then I just slid the little locking clip at the end of the slot towards it and it clipped in place , then I screwed end of card to case and I was set to go. The Msi GTX 760 works like a charm, getting 60fps on ULTRA in Far Cry 3 and only got 3.4GB system RAM
m
l
!