Sign in with
Your question

Corei-7 920 lagging very bad

Last response: in CPUs
March 11, 2012 12:41:26 PM

Hello, I'm very new in tom's hardware but I've visited this website sometimes but only now did i register.

This is my PC setup

Processor : Corei-7 920
RAM : 10GB Kingston (2x 4GB RAM, 1x 2GB RAM)
Motherboard : intel DX58S0 Crossfire
Video Card : Sapphire HD5770 Vapor X
PSU : Thermal Take Lite
HDD : Seagate 320GB

My PC boots very slow, after entering the desktop I lag for about 5mins before I can click anything

When I copy files(My internal HDD to an external HDD) that is more than 4gb my PC starts to lag so much that I need to cancel it if I'm doing anything else.

Also when I copy, the rate of data transfer from my internal HDD to an external is around 70-100mb per sec after reaching halfway(For example the total size of the file i'm copying is 5gb) the copy rate goes down to 1mb per sec. the whole computer freezes and I can barely run other applications.

It's frustrating because my friends and cousins' PCs which are Dual Cores, Core2Duo, Corei3 runs faster than mine. This problem started back in December, gradually getting slower and slower.

I think its either my MOBO, my HDD or my OS, but i'm not sure. What do you guys think?

More about : corei 920 lagging bad

a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 1:01:04 PM

First two things is a slow hard drive can sometimes put out a quick burst of read/writes but never sustained and your ram configuration likely has a little to do with the problem as well.
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 1:13:52 PM

The problem is not the processor, the bottleneck(s) reside elsewhere.

For the slow boot, the reason is probably a combination of many start-up items and possibly a registry with outdated device driver references. It's a classic symptom of an aged Windows installation. One way to help would be to run driversweeper, clean your registry and remove unnecessary startup items. A fresh install would be the best approach. Other tips would be a faster hard disk, particularly an SSD. De-fragging your hard drive is an easy solution that would probably give you some small performance improvements.

As for your slow copying problem, I don't know the answer I'm afraid but have occasionally seen similar problems. It sounds to me like a physical problem, like a bad USB connection or a corrupt USB disk. You could try using a different cable in a different USB socket, or a different drive and see if that helps. Also, try formatting your external drive.

Both problems might be related - an old and tiring internal HDD might be something to do with it, or perhaps a bad internal SATA connection.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 1:16:05 PM

nforce4max said:
First two things is a slow hard drive can sometimes put out a quick burst of read/writes but never sustained and your ram configuration likely has a little to do with the problem as well.

Yes, the RAM configuration is not ideal for a 920 setup. As a triple channel system, you should have the same amount of RAM in each slot. However, for significant and noticeable performance problems such as here, I suspect the problem lies elsewhere.
a c 104 à CPUs
March 11, 2012 1:49:36 PM

1. Check the startup folder - there is no need to load programs that you are not going to use right away. A good free program for this is "WHATINSTARTUP"

2. Download and run CCLEANER

3. Try removing the 2GB RAM module - just use the two 4 GB modules in slots 1 and 2. Restart.

4. Make sure Win7 is updated.

5. Run a complete anti-virus scan. A great program is MALWAREBYTES. Restart. Rootkit viruses (or virii) are very difficult to remove.

6. If the above does not produce desired results, perform a complete re-installation of Win7. Install Malwarebytes. Do a complete backup using Windows Backup, or Easeus Todo Backup (free).
March 11, 2012 3:20:08 PM

bwrlane said:
Yes, the RAM configuration is not ideal for a 920 setup. As a triple channel system, you should have the same amount of RAM in each slot. However, for significant and noticeable performance problems such as here, I suspect the problem lies elsewhere.

true, having a ram combo like that would just mean the ram would be running at asymmetrical tri-chan mode, but it would not be the main reason for slow boot

to the OP:
have you tried going into msconfig and disabling some of the programs running at startup?
March 11, 2012 3:22:39 PM

Ubrales said:
1. Check the startup folder - there is no need to load programs that you are not going to use right away. A good free program for this is "WHATINSTARTUP"

2. Download and run CCLEANER

3. Try removing the 2GB RAM module - just use the two 4 GB modules in slots 1 and 2. Restart.

4. Make sure Win7 is updated.

5. Run a complete anti-virus scan. A great program is MALWAREBYTES. Restart. Rootkit viruses (or virii) are very difficult to remove.

6. If the above does not produce desired results, perform a complete re-installation of Win7. Install Malwarebytes. Do a complete backup using Windows Backup, or Easeus Todo Backup (free).

all of the above highlighted would just make your computer slower
installing more programs would NOT make your computer faster, as for the ram it really doesn't matter
March 11, 2012 3:47:37 PM

nforce4max said:

My HDD is old, I think its 2yrs older than my setup (I bought the PC way back in 2009 and the HDD is in 2007)

I ran my CCleaner twice a month

And @bwrlane I have stopped almost all non-Windows System application in MSconfig and I also do a defrag once a month :( 

I will try and take out the 2GB RAM.

Thank you all for replying in my thread.
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 4:15:23 PM

You need to reformat the HDD, Fresh install Win 7,install all the driver that came with your PC(motherboard, Video card.) Before you this you have to back up all the important files that you have in a USB flash drive.
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 4:35:51 PM

run a SMART viewer on the hard drive
I like to use Speedfan which has a good smart viewer in it
http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php

also check your temps during slowdown
possibly getting too hot and cpu throttling down
doing new thermal paste on CPU and blowing out the inside thoroughly should be done every six months

check your SMART status with Speedfan and do the online analysis

5 yrs for a HD is OLD
invest in a decent HD and do a new install of Windows is a good idea
WD Caviar Blues are about the best bang for buck on HDs right now
also can find some nice Spinpoint F3s at decent prices
look for the OEM versions since they are cheaper
just as good as retail except dont have pretty boxes or include sata cables
March 12, 2012 6:55:05 PM

or get a small capacity ssd as a boot drive and use your current hdd for data, it will improve your system's boot times dramtically!
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 7:20:13 PM

good post megadelayed
that makes alot of sense
a b à CPUs
March 12, 2012 7:47:05 PM

Sounds like a USB drive or controller has gone bad.

I've had external drives go bad and they bring the system to a crawl. Unplug it and see if it still occurs. Sometimes the system wouldn't even boot with a bad USB drive attached.

Check the Event Viewer > System log for errors.
They should show up there.
Any yellow or red disk related errors.

If it's a bad USB port try moving peripherals around. Ones that get plugged/un-plugged a lot may have been damaged from static or general wear-n-tear.
March 17, 2012 7:53:13 AM

The problem still persist, everything is really slow, I tried taking out the 2GB RAM, is there anyway to check if the HDD itself is already bad?
March 17, 2012 7:58:10 AM

These some of the errors

Activation context generation failed for "C:\Program Files\ATI\CIM\Bin64\SetACL64.exe". Dependent Assembly Microsoft.VC80.MFC,processorArchitecture="amd64",publicKeyToken="1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b",type="win32",version="8.0.50608.0" could not be found. Please use sxstrace.exe for detailed diagnosis.

I see this too
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

sorry for double posting
a b à CPUs
March 19, 2012 6:58:27 PM

lanceor said:

I see this too
The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block.

You need to run a full scandisk. Any drive errors can drag a computer down.
If they can't be adequately repaired it's probably signs the drive is about to fail.

I would go this route:
1) Get an external USB drive and backup your full disk contents before doing anything. It will take a while but better safe than sorry.
2) Run a full scandisk on the C drive (Harddisk0) and let it repair. This can take a few hours as well.
3) Order a replacement drive cause it's probably about to fail on you.

Use a program like this to copy/clone drive images.

Free EaseUS® Partition Master 9.1.1 Home Edition
http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

April 11, 2012 1:02:57 PM

One more thing, When I play my music on Winamp it suddenly stops when an application hangs/lags.(Running Origin, Watching movies on Media Player Classic or opening MSWord 2010)

I read somewhere that it might be CPU aswell. tomorrow, I'll try to borrow my friends HDD and see if its really the problem. God i hope either my mobo or proc is not the problem. -.-

a b à CPUs
April 11, 2012 1:43:58 PM

a bad HD can cause alot of problems
those I/O errors can cause alot of hangs and lags
a b à CPUs
April 11, 2012 1:53:55 PM

no and the OP even had a bad block error
really sounds like the HD
sad thing is with the price of HDs now it is cheaper to replace the mobo most of the time
April 18, 2012 11:26:28 AM

Hello, tomorrow I'll be buying a new HDD 500gb Barracuda.

And last week, I bought a thermal paste and put some of it unto my Processor's heatsink, the computer significantly ran faster but the usual sound hanging, application lagging, desktop lagging still occurs.

And I also borrowed my friends HDD, everything runs smoothly (His OS, we didn't reformat his)

Wish me luck tomorrow -.-
a b à CPUs
April 18, 2012 3:06:10 PM

Good luck on the hard drive
really hopes it solves the problem
June 22, 2012 11:37:01 AM

Hmm How do I make this thread as SOLVED like the others I see in the forum?

Thanks to this forum now I'm really into learning more about PCs.

I just wanna say that I solved the problem, turned out my HDD went bad I downloaded Arconis Drive Monitor and saw the health status of my old HDD at 60%

Since i bought a new one I completely forgot to reply to this thread, thank you all for helping me. Haha! I just wanted to post this incase someone else had the same problem I had.
a b à CPUs
June 22, 2012 4:23:01 PM

lanceor said:
Hmm How do I make this thread as SOLVED like the others I see in the forum?

Thanks to this forum now I'm really into learning more about PCs.

I just wanna say that I solved the problem, turned out my HDD went bad I downloaded Arconis Drive Monitor and saw the health status of my old HDD at 60%

Since i bought a new one I completely forgot to reply to this thread, thank you all for helping me. Haha! I just wanted to post this incase someone else had the same problem I had.

you usually have the option to select a post as Best Answer
you will see a Best Answer "button" on each of the posts
glad it worked out for you
best regards
June 23, 2012 9:15:30 AM

Usually I do in my Laptop every week is

1st Disk Cleanup
2nd Disk Defrag
3rd Scan with my Eset Nod 32 and Windows Defender
4th Re-run Windows Experience Index
5th Disk Cleanup
6th Disk Defrag