CAD Graphics Workstation in 4U Rackmount Case

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Above poster doesn't know what their talking about. I have over a dozen rack mount systems with "graphics cards" installed in them.

Check to see if its a vertical or horizontal mount. Being a 4U case it will most likely be vertical and full slot length.

You might have to worry about two things, first being slot length. Server motherboards often only have a bunch of x8 slots that a x16 card won't directly fit into. You can do a small mod to remove the backstop off the slot to fix the card in, but it'll only operate at x16 and would most definitely invalidate your warranty. The other is the power connector, I've rarely seen a server chasis / powersupply that provided a 8x/6x PCIe power connector. You may need an adapter.

Other...
Above poster doesn't know what their talking about. I have over a dozen rack mount systems with "graphics cards" installed in them.

Check to see if its a vertical or horizontal mount. Being a 4U case it will most likely be vertical and full slot length.

You might have to worry about two things, first being slot length. Server motherboards often only have a bunch of x8 slots that a x16 card won't directly fit into. You can do a small mod to remove the backstop off the slot to fix the card in, but it'll only operate at x16 and would most definitely invalidate your warranty. The other is the power connector, I've rarely seen a server chasis / powersupply that provided a 8x/6x PCIe power connector. You may need an adapter.

Other then those two issues, there is no reason a GPU can not go into a rack mount case.

Solution

lets see . ...to save on a case you think its a great idea to modify a graphics card by cutting bits off it .......and I dont know anything?
ROFLMAO

I never said modify the graphics card by cutting bits off.

That has nothing to do with the case at all. I'm assuming he's using some server class motherboard already in the chasis, some have x16 slots, some have x8 only. In any case it's the motherboard not the chasis that is the limit.

Again you've demonstrated you don't know what your talking about, you can't even comprehend the quote your trying to insult.

scottl318

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2011
Thanks Palladin,
Good advice. I definitely can't use a short case because the mobo and graphics card in particular are long.
I think I'll use this ASUS Sabertooth instead of a server mobo so I do need to make sure it fits and has the right adapters.

Thanks for the help.
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.