4870x2 Endless BSOD

rhadamant5186

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hey all!

I've got a Radeon 4870x2. It started BSOD on me when I updated to the newest drivers. I immediately rolled them back using driver sweeper on safe mode. Now I cannot get my computer running. I did a fresh install of XP on a harddrive. I made sure my chipset and bios for the mobo was up to date. As soon as I install ANY version of graphics drivers for my card, the computer will BSOD upon reboot. I tried installing pretty much every version of the driver for the card and nothing works. I either get a atikmpag/atikmdag/ati2dvag BSOD. That card was working for well over a year before this started happening. I'm about 85% sure its the video card and maybe there is an off chance it could be the motherboard, but I doubt it.

How likely is it that the card burned out or damaged? I'm not getting artifacts, but every and any driver seems to BSOD the computer. Any advice?

sddclub

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2011
i've had exactly the same problem, even in BIOS....

It is resolved, 60 min ago, this way:

- Download CPUID HWMonitor
- Check -12V Voltage
- If it's over -10V (mine was 7.5V), it's definetelly a catalyst driver problem.
- REMOVE ANY CATALYST DRIVERS & REGISTRY ENTRIES (i used Revo Uninstaller)
- REBOOT
- LET OS (mine is Win 7 Ult) IDENTIFY THE CARD AND INSTALL OWN DRIVER

Problem solved, everything works...!!!! No BSOD what so ever!!!!

If u want to install AMD/ATI Drivers, install any version till 11.9 (i installed 11.5)

Still can't believe that windows drivers effected perfomance of card in BIOS....