Sign in with
Your question

I5 2500k and Cooler Master 212 plus idle temps?

Last response: in CPUs
March 11, 2012 2:17:49 PM

I know there have been many similar questions, but I feel my situation is a little different. So I have the Cooler Master 212 plus, I have reseated it twice, spread the thermal paste as instructed, and I get different idle temps that everyone else: 31, 35, 39, 30 are the temps of each core right now. Why is the third core so high than the rest? I understand that idle temps don't mean anything but still I'd like some input to relieve my paranoia.
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 2:41:38 PM

From where have you measured the temps? It is normal you get different temps from each core. If one of them is more than another, then it is due to its activities at the time.

Use HWMonitor or RealTemp, and monitor the average temps, it should not go up 72.6°C (TCASE).
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 4:20:22 PM

Go to CPUID.com download CPU-Z and HW monitor. These are very important monitoring utilities for your system.
m
l
a c 145 à CPUs
March 11, 2012 5:56:53 PM

It's fine, up to 10C difference is normal. If temps get too high then you would need to worry.
m
l
March 11, 2012 6:00:03 PM

My problem isn't actually my temps. What concerns me is that other people have stated that they have achieved lower temps with the same cpu and heatsink and I worry that I my cpu could be faulty or something.
m
l
a b à CPUs
March 11, 2012 6:53:53 PM

How about the air flow inside the case?
m
l
March 11, 2012 7:11:37 PM

i have a haf 922. I think the airflow is pretty good.
m
l
a c 145 à CPUs
March 11, 2012 7:16:31 PM

Temps are mostly due to room temp, if theirs is lower it's because their room is colder. Seeing your hdd/mobo/gpu temp, I can tell you that your temps are perfectly normal for your ambient temp.
m
l
March 11, 2012 11:40:56 PM

I am running the exact same set up as you so far as cpu and case. My idle temps were running about 32C average. I added another fan and they dropped to 24C. I lowered the fan speeds to reduce the noise a little and I have not gone above 31c under full load. I then overclocked it to 4.8 and ran prime95 for several hours in a 78 F room and got it up to 60c. Took it back to stock for now I just wanted to see what it would do. Your temps are not terrible. have you tried the stock cooler just to see what happens? If you are still concerned try adding a second fan.
m
l
a c 145 à CPUs
March 11, 2012 11:52:52 PM

24C (75F) when room temp is 78F? You do know that your cpu temp being below room temp is impossible with an air cooler? Your other temps are insanely low too, I think you're looking at an incorrect reading.
m
l
March 12, 2012 12:03:55 AM

Why does everyone give a single temp for their cpu? It's not accurate. Cllonso, what are the temps of all 4 cores?
m
l
March 12, 2012 12:24:58 AM

Screw idle unless it looks completely out of whack (like all cores 40C+); pop Prime95 and stress test it ASAP... you'll have more than enough time to stop the program if it goes to extreme temps and THEN you can start looking for the why.

Don't forget that it takes HOURS for the thermal paste to achieve max efficiency, so your temps might go down a few points over time.

Right now, in my 20C basement, I'm getting 33-25-33-33 & 33 package @ 4.5GHz

Not a single CPU acts the same, you can't aim for the perfect numbers... take room temp into consideration, your vcore (if you overclocked) and Prime it

And package temp is accurate, I don't care if most of my cores are 5-6-7C over the coolest one; I want the general temp coming out of the CPU as a whole
m
l
March 12, 2012 12:45:56 AM

Have you the i5 2500k and CM 212 hyper plus? My room is at 23C and my cpu package temp is at 38C. As I said earlier, what's bugging me is that other people claim to have much lower temps, 25C to 30C. And don't forget that I run at stock speeds. As a side note, I used the thermal paste that came with the cooler master 212. Should I buy arctic silver or it wouldn't make much difference?
m
l
March 12, 2012 12:54:22 AM

No, using NH-d14, but from the reviews I seen, they have almost the same idle temps. At full load it's a different story, but you ain't looking at those numbers.

Your room is 3C higher than mine but your package load is 5C higher, so I'd definitely say you're within normal specs with the 1-2C you'll get back after paste "cakes".

I've used Artic Silver in the past, and never had a problem, but this time I used the Noctua paste that came with it seeing as I forgot to buy some other brand; not a single problem.

Yeah I'm OC'ed, but my vcore barely went up, so not pumping an insane amount of extra heat. Also, if you REALLY had a bad HSF contact / too much or not enough paste, you'd hit 50C+ VERY fast with the 2500k, even at idle.

Prime it, you'll know very quick if it's incorrectly installed; @ stock speeds with the case you have & 212+ it shouldn't go above 60C
m
l
March 12, 2012 1:35:03 AM

I run bf3 in windowed mode and all temps never surpassed beyond 50-55C I think.
m
l
October 25, 2012 4:11:09 AM

Darth I have the same problem, if it is a problem anyway. I built my first PC about two months ago, and installed a 212 plus about a month after its creation. My ambient temps in my room average at about 24C. I own a Cooler Master HAF 912 running with two 200 mm fans and two 120's. my CPU is identical, my clocks are identical, and my idle temps are nearly identical (39, 30, 35, 30). Note that the day I installed the 212 plus I also installed the four fans ( I replaced the rear 120 for a sickle flow). I have not yet compared it with the stock fan and case fans together, due to a busy schedule. Trust me, I'm as worried as you about the legitimacy of my CPU cooler. i noticed there are dents in the top parts of the cooling pipes on the Hyper 212, and am confused on whether they are broken or if that's normal. Regardless, my Temps are acceptable. When i get a more powerful power supply, i may want to overclock, and am considering getting a CM V8 if the 212 plus isn't functioning to it's full potential.
m
l
October 25, 2012 4:11:51 AM

Also, when playing BF3 my cpu never goes past 65C
m
l
!