Sign in with
Your question

Computer shut-downs

Last response: in Components
March 11, 2012 2:57:57 PM

Hey peeps.

I have a problem with my computer. It keeps shutting down during heavy loads (i.e. playing games) after moment and i cant figure out why that is. I have got a new motherboard after the problem blew out my old one and have got new coolers and paste for my cpu thinking it was overheating but it still does it which leads me to believe it is the PSU.

I have currently got a 750W PSU, is this enough for my system?

570GTX
Phenom II quadcore 955 - 3.2
8giga ddr3 ram
1TB HD

IF not the psu could it be software related, how could i rule that out?

thanks in advance, Blue

More about : computer shut downs

March 11, 2012 2:58:58 PM

I doubt the PSU is a problem. But for good measure, can you link me to what kind it is? 750 should power all that, no problem..
a b ) Power supply
March 11, 2012 3:01:13 PM

750W is sufficient for your rig.

Use core temp or real temp to monitor your cpu temp. & post it here.
Related resources
March 11, 2012 3:04:06 PM

bartholomew said:
750W is sufficient for your rig.

Use core temp or real temp to monitor your cpu temp. & post it here.

My temps are 32 at idle and up to 50 under load.
March 11, 2012 3:05:18 PM

I now doubt that the PSU is the problem. It looks like a solid PSU and 750w is fine for that.

Another factor to consider, is this machine overclocked? If so, run at stock, on GPU, CPU and then do a stress test for an hour or so. If the machine proves stable, you should be fine.
March 11, 2012 3:08:49 PM

Hmm, im not overclocking
a b ) Power supply
March 11, 2012 3:11:47 PM

t00nsuk said:
Hmm, im not overclocking

Still, run prime95 for an hour & keep monitoring your temps.
March 11, 2012 3:20:18 PM

Am running it now. Everything seems fine at the moment. Will update in an hour. Thanks for the help guys.
March 11, 2012 4:18:57 PM

Ok, i ran prime95 and my temps peaked at 58 and my computer did not shutdown. Does this rule out overheating and PSU?

EDIT: Oh, and yes it is still shutting down within the first moments of playing skyrim (all intensive games) but it does not crash during MoW... i really dont know why it is crashing. It must be software, right?
March 11, 2012 4:53:02 PM

HELP!
a b ) Power supply
March 11, 2012 5:13:25 PM

Its most probably your PSU. How old is your PSU?
March 11, 2012 5:21:53 PM

2-3 months old :/ 
March 11, 2012 6:08:58 PM

Ok, will do. Thanks Bart. If this doesn't work i may be looking down the grim barrel of software fiddling, drivers and registries. -_-
March 11, 2012 7:08:52 PM

I would'nt say "must be" software - but i would suspect your drivers next.

before we go uninstalling *** left and right... lets have a look at your system logs and see if we can see any errors.

Right click on "My Computer" and choose "manage"

Under windows Xp you need to look at your "system" and "application" logs. Look for errors right around the time of these shutdowns ( it helps to replicate the issue and then reboot and go look at your logs right then) Post your errors, codes and everything... the more detail the better

If you are using windows 7, its hidden under "computer management" "system tools" "event viewer"

Please post any criticals and errors within a few minutes of this ninja-shutdown occuring.

If inspecting the event logs yeilds nothing at all, use a utility like "driver sweeper"
www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper
to scrub your video cards drives off your machine and then do a fresh re-install of the latest stable drivers found on Nvidia's site. DO NOT go to your card's manufacturer's site... go straight to Nvidia.

Let me know what you find out :D 
March 11, 2012 7:53:19 PM

Ok, so critical events (if i have arrived at the right place) 7 in the past 24 hours named; kernel-power (under system log). Is this any use?

EDIT: will cause a crash now and see if it adds to the count :/ 
March 11, 2012 8:09:59 PM

It did. Some more info, if of any use.

Log Name: System
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power
Date: 11/03/2012 17:31:10
Event ID: 41
Task Category: (63)
Level: Critical
Keywords: (2)
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Blue-PC
Description:
The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first. This error could be caused if the system stopped responding, crashed, or lost power unexpectedly.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331C3B3A-2005-44C2-AC5E-77220C37D6B4}" />
<EventID>41</EventID>
<Version>2</Version>
<Level>1</Level>
<Task>63</Task>
<Opcode>0</Opcode>
<Keywords>0x8000000000000002</Keywords>
<TimeCreated SystemTime="2012-03-11T17:31:10.479222700Z" />
<EventRecordID>311873</EventRecordID>
<Correlation />
<Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
<Channel>System</Channel>
<Computer>Blue-PC</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
<Data Name="SleepInProgress">false</Data>
<Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
</EventData>
</Event>
March 11, 2012 9:01:08 PM

Bump-yyyy
March 11, 2012 9:04:06 PM

uh-huh!

Keep digging in your logs. This confirms that the system crashes unexpectedly (lost power? power surge form PSU?)

Look some more - you are looking anything that would smell anything like a driver malfunction... If you cant find anything at all that would pretty much rule out drivers being the cause of this, and you can focus on replacing your power supply ^^
March 11, 2012 9:11:21 PM

hey, a thought just occured to me...

before you go buying extra PSU's, can you describe how your video card is connected you your power supply?

My guess is 1 6pin and 1 8pin connector?

Are you using conncectors coming straight from the PSU... or are you using ANY kind of adapter/converter/whatever to "make it happen"

Another thought... is since your PC is fine under prime95... but seems to "lose power" as soon as the graphix card starts drinking its fill - If your PSU has multiple 12v rails... could it be possible that your are sharing the 12v rail the card is on with something else in your PC?

These 2 things merit investigation before we go replacing parts
March 11, 2012 9:29:26 PM

frombehind said:
hey, a thought just occured to me...

before you go buying extra PSU's, can you describe how your video card is connected you your power supply?

My guess is 1 6pin and 1 8pin connector?

Are you using conncectors coming straight from the PSU... or are you using ANY kind of adapter/converter/whatever to "make it happen"

Another thought... is since your PC is fine under prime95... but seems to "lose power" as soon as the graphix card starts drinking its fill - If your PSU has multiple 12v rails... could it be possible that your are sharing the 12v rail the card is on with something else in your PC?

These 2 things merit investigation before we go replacing parts

hmm, ok.

the gfx card is connected up by 2 6 pin connectors and they come direct from the psu.

How would i know if they are sharing a rail with something else?

March 11, 2012 10:29:10 PM

hmm, this one is a bit tougher - you would need to look at the manufacuturer's page youre looking for specifiactions or a manual - it would have this information. If you end up finding that your power supply only has 1 rail... this isnt our isssue.

More often then not... power supplies in this range have 2-4 rails, and require some finnesse and experience load-balancing more power-hungry systems.
March 12, 2012 12:12:45 AM

I would get a corair or seasonic PSU as stated above make sure it has a single 12v rail. this will most likely solve your probem.
!