Freeze at Win7 Logo after installing 8500GT drivers?

qccoles

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
After installing GeForce 8500GT drivers straight from the nvidia site, windows will not boot passed the "Starting windows" screen. The little Windows aurora logo thingy just stops moving and I have to physically power the computer down. When there are no drivers installed, the computer will boot up fine. I can also boot to safe mode fine...but a normal boot seems impossible.
Ive tried using the 280.26 driver from nvidia and 181.71 drivers AND the drivers windows uses when there are no drivers present.

s/n: I'm also having weird, faded, vertical green looking lines in the background that can only be seen on white pages on safe mode and normal boot(with no drivers installed), any ideas on that either?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I used this graphics card a long time ago on the same setup(but not windows 7, was windows xp.) and it worked perfectly! I haven't used this computer alot lately so I forgot when this problem started.

qccoles

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
I'm 100% positive it isn't my monitor...could it be a win7 problem? Should I try to roll back to XP? I found out the lines disappear when the windows drivers are installed.