Solution
A dry cloth can work in some situations where the TIM is the greasy type. But it would leave some residue behind. And I'd worry even a dry soft cloth might scratch the metal heat spreader as you try to get any dry caked on thermal compound removed.

Ethyl 70% - if you can't find anything else - would work - just don't get it anywhere but on the top metal heat spreader. Put it on the cloth or q-tip, not directly on the CPU.
Getting it on the motherboard components or into the socket itself is how it might cause damage. In your position I might take the CPU out of the socket while cleaning.

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
70% is near useless? will it hurt the chip then? i understand that the higher Alcohol % the faster it will evaporate but what if i leave it for a bit to evaporate using the 70%? and how safe is it to use a dry cloth?

phyco126

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Do you have a Wal-Mart? That is where I get my 91% rubbing alcohol (in their pharmacy section).

Also, I prefer to use coffee filters rather than a cloth to remove the paste. Also, have patience. Even with 91% rubbing alcohol, it takes a while to get all the paste off.

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
I'll try to find that, i also read around that you might as well do it with a dry cloth? how safe is that? if i can't find that any of those i will be looking for solutions that won't be the best but at the same time won't damage my chip, someone earlier said that the Ethyl 70% might cause damage how true is that?

A dry cloth can work in some situations where the TIM is the greasy type. But it would leave some residue behind. And I'd worry even a dry soft cloth might scratch the metal heat spreader as you try to get any dry caked on thermal compound removed.

Ethyl 70% - if you can't find anything else - would work - just don't get it anywhere but on the top metal heat spreader. Put it on the cloth or q-tip, not directly on the CPU.
Getting it on the motherboard components or into the socket itself is how it might cause damage. In your position I might take the CPU out of the socket while cleaning.

Solution

rvg90

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2012
My heatsink arrives tomorrow so i didn't start yet, i tried to find one of the good recommended thermal compounds but i failed(well welcome to Egypt) the best i could find is a suspicious chinese grease that they use in all computer stores around, i read that the 212 Plus comes with a thermal compound so i guess that's the one i am gonna use.

So i just put a dot in the center and no need to spread it as the base of the heatsink will?

I also asked a friend that might be able to get me some Ethylene 90% alcohol but if he couldn't i'll just go with the 70%.