Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Why is my data drive full ?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
January 16, 2013 1:06:35 PM

Hello,
My data drive is almost full. How can I free upsome space ? I have done disk cleanup, analyzed and defragged but it stays the same 141% used and only 7% free.

More about : data drive full

a c 478 V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 1:14:21 PM

sylviafarley2011 said:
Hello,
My data drive is almost full. How can I free upsome space ? I have done disk cleanup, analyzed and defragged but it stays the same 141% used and only 7% free.

download from another pc a good anti virus program or boot from a hirem boot cd made on another pc. sounds like you have a virus.
a b V Motherboard
January 16, 2013 1:16:44 PM

Hi and welcome to Tom's! Please tell us a little more about the problem. Do you have one or two drives? "data drive" sounds ab bit like an external hard disk? And how big is the disk? In general, you can free up the space by deleting data or shifting it to another drive.
Related resources
January 16, 2013 6:17:56 PM

smorizio said:
download from another pc a good anti virus program or boot from a hirem boot cd made on another pc. sounds like you have a virus.



There isn't another PC around -I am in rural Spain. have up to date AVG which says all is fine as does Windows trouble-shooter. The data drive (D:)  shows only 4 folders with contents less than 50 gigabytes. It is difficult to download anything as I keep getting a low memory message.
January 16, 2013 6:57:34 PM

noidea_77 said:
Hi and welcome to Tom's! Please tell us a little more about the problem. Do you have one or two drives? "data drive" sounds ab bit like an external hard disk? And how big is the disk? In general, you can free up the space by deleting data or shifting it to another drive.


There isn't another PC around -I am in rural Spain. have up to date AVG which says all is fine as does Windows trouble-shooter. and the D: A friend removed several trojans last Novemebr but is no longer around.
There are 3 internal drives shown as Windows (C: ) Data (D) and Windows Office, (which does not work without a CD which I don't have and don't need.
The data drive (D:) not an external drive, shows only 4 folders with contents less than 50 gigabytes. But the properties say it has 15 folders using most of the memory. It is difficult to download anything as I keep getting a low memory message.

It is a Toshiba with Windows 7 premium 3 Gigabyte Ram, 90 GB free on drive C: 58 GB used. capacity 149 GB. D: 148 GB - only 7 free. I cannot find anything to delete or move but it does not seem to make any sense.
The drive error check says there is nothing wrong and no files appear to have been changed since last November.
I am afraid I know very little about modern PCs, I started on mainframes and wrote Basic - am now half-blind and in my 8th decade. I use the PC for online research, word processing and editing images and voice records.
a c 478 V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 5:40:49 AM

do this check each folder size and date on drive d: see if the drive is having issues and is filled up with *.chk files. if not and the folders you can see dont add up to all of the filed drive then look for hidden folders on your data drive.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidde...

it may be someone drop some files onto the hard drive that they did not want you to find or know about.
January 18, 2013 7:02:09 AM

smorizio said:
do this check each folder size and date on drive d: see if the drive is having issues and is filled up with *.chk files. if not and the folders you can see dont add up to all of the filed drive then look for hidden folders on your data drive.
http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/show-hidde...

it may be someone drop some files onto the hard drive that they did not want you to find or know about.


I cannot find any chk or hidden files on the D: drive nor anything modified except one small file since November 2012. Most are system files from 2010 and 2011

I have checked properties of all visible files and none list hidden files. How can I find hidden files?
January 18, 2013 7:07:02 AM

Sorry - I could not edit my reply. I meant to write I am going to your URL to find out how I can locate hidden files
a c 478 V Motherboard
January 18, 2013 12:13:39 PM

sylvia did you or anyone in your family set up a data backup program??? if your main drive crashed there would be a back up on another drive??? could be you filled your data drive with a back up of your main drive.
January 18, 2013 2:54:54 PM

I am alone - family thousands of miles away. Anything wants doing, I have to learn to do it myself!
This sounds likely - the sums would work. I discovered recently that there were no system restore points so told it to make backup and let it file by default. D: does have a system restore folder but says it is empty.
I moved and deleted a lot of stuff, but it made no apparent difference.


So how do i find the back-up files and put them somewhere safe where they can be found? Will I need to partition the C: drive, or can I just make the D: drive bigger?

Thank you for your patience and your help.
a c 478 V Motherboard
January 20, 2013 9:18:40 AM

i would look into a back up program or drive clone program like norton ghost or drive image. one where the back up can be set for once a week or once a month and back up to the same folder and deletes the old data for you.
January 24, 2013 10:07:31 AM

Thank you. First i will try to eliminate a lot of files by putting them on disc, then I will try your suggestion,
!