Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Looking for expert advice, first gaming build

Tags:
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
Share
December 6, 2011 11:54:14 PM

Approximate Purchase Date: when I find the best

Budget Range: soild build, save money where I can

System Usage from Most to Least Important: : work, web development/design and, gaming, currently play Rage and SWOTR

Parts Not Required: speakers, OS Windows Ultimate 64Bit, I may reuse my power supple if it'll do the job Antec BP500U 500 watt. Just picked up a, XFX HD-685X-ZDFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit DDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity I want to be able to run 3 monitors with no problems.

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com or other depending the deals and quality of parts
Country: looking for quality no real preference

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (Intel for the processor had a bad AMD experience)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: yes

Monitor Resolution: I have 2 montors running at 1680x1050 now and will be looking for a third for my card above

Additional Comments: : looking for smooth running, need expert advice

More about : expert advice gaming build

December 7, 2011 12:17:20 AM

You really need to give a budget amount to work with otherwise I can list you an eyepopping $4000 computer.
December 7, 2011 12:28:21 AM

List the 4k computer!
Related resources
December 7, 2011 12:28:41 AM

Yeah I'm gonna guess maybe a $2000 build but until you let us know I'll start coming up with something as cheap as possible
December 7, 2011 12:28:59 AM

Is this an open budget where you're looking for the bang-to-buck price points or what?

In that case, i5-2500k w/ z68 mobo (you may need quick sync), 8GB DDR3 (1.5v, 1333 cas 9... 1600 mhz cas 9 if it's similar price), and a SSD. That will give you a fast, balanced system.

edit: Why don't we try it this way. You list what you have and what you're planning on upgrading, and we can give you advice on if it's a good deal or if there are better parts for similar prices.
December 7, 2011 12:39:38 AM

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition (VN10006W2N) White and Black SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Four Fans-1x 200mm Colorshift side fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift top fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift front fan and 1x 140mm rear fan
$289.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73960X
$1049.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme/BATTLEFIELD 3 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS
$469.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10
$329.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$229.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

High Current Pro HCP-850 850W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$179.99 and a $10 rebate for $169.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 2.5" 180GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$304.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$159.99 and a $30 rebate for $129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total ; $2974.92 Hmmmm I seem to have messed up somewhere , it's way short of $4000 ....I know , it must be the video cards , I would have listed two GTX 580's.

EVGA 03G-P3-1584-AR GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 3072MB 384-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
2X $589.99 = $1179.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

If you take out the XFX 6850 and add the two 580's you have $4024.91
December 7, 2011 12:43:44 AM

inzone said:
Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition (VN10006W2N) White and Black SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Four Fans-1x 200mm Colorshift side fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift top fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift front fan and 1x 140mm rear fan
$289.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73960X
$1049.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme/BATTLEFIELD 3 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS
$469.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10
$329.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$229.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

High Current Pro HCP-850 850W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$179.99 and a $10 rebate for $169.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 2.5" 180GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$304.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$159.99 and a $30 rebate for $129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total ; $2974.92 Hmmmm I seem to have messed up somewhere , it's way short of $4000 ....I know , it must be the video cards , I would have listed two GTX 580's.



Awwww crap you just had to do it! Its on!
December 7, 2011 12:44:27 AM

Let's say keep it around a $1,000-1500. My current PC is <2 years old. I have 1TB hard drive (should add a solid state?), CD drives, card reader.

I would like a good listing for CPU, motherboard, graphic cards, ram, case, fans and power supply. I’ve looked around and have a good idea of what I need, but figured I could get the best advice here.
December 7, 2011 12:56:40 AM

Emelth said:
Awwww crap you just had to do it! Its on!



I like it! can you loan me like... 2K, I got the other thousand
December 7, 2011 1:05:25 AM

awww damn i was just about to post my build >.< (FYI... I jizzed pants 10 seconds ago when I saw it finish....)
December 7, 2011 1:08:32 AM

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$189.99 and a $30 rebate for $159.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$174.99 and a $10 rebate for $164.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M4X1600C8R
$79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$124.99 and a $10 rebate for $114.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
$129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$159.99 and a $30 rebate for $129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan
$159.99 and a $20 rebate for $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2X LG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24LS70 LightScribe Support
$41.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ZALMAN CNPS12X 120mm Long Life Bearing High Performance Triple Fan CPU Cooler
$99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total for this build would be $1151.90 plus whatever monitor you would get.
December 7, 2011 1:12:56 AM

esoteric-NH said:
I like it! can you loan me like... 2K, I got the other thousand




Lol , yeah I want it for myself , well maybe not , the only thing better than my pc in that build is the cpu , maybe.
December 7, 2011 1:18:02 AM

Had to do it....

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D - $260.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-3960X - $1050.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock X79 EXTREME4 - $219.00 (OMG QUAD SLI!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $85.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - $120.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 - $1000.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM - $540.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Crucial M4 256GB SSD - $370.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS Blu-ray Burner - $100.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified - $350.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Logitech G19 Black 104 Normal Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - $140.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Logitech G9x Black Two modes scroll USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse - $57.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $6591

I'm gonna go change pants now...
December 7, 2011 1:24:34 AM

Emelth said:
Had to do it....

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D - $260.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-3960X - $1050.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock X79 EXTREME4 - $219.00 (OMG QUAD SLI!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $85.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - $120.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 - $1000.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM - $540.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Crucial M4 256GB SSD - $370.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS Blu-ray Burner - $100.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified - $350.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Logitech G19 Black 104 Normal Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - $140.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Logitech G9x Black Two modes scroll USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse - $57.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $6591

I'm gonna go change pants now...



$4291 is what this adds up to unless you forgot to list something ?
December 7, 2011 1:33:24 AM

Emelth said:
Had to do it....

Corsair Obsidian Series 800D - $260.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i7-3960X - $1050.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock X79 EXTREME4 - $219.00 (OMG QUAD SLI!)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 - $85.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR H100 (CWCH100) Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler - $120.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2 x EVGA GeForce GTX 580 (Fermi) 1536MB 384-bit GDDR5 - $1000.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

3 x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 RPM - $540.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Crucial M4 256GB SSD - $370.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS Blu-ray Burner - $100.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SILVERSTONE ST1500 1500W ATX 12V 2.3 & EPS 12V SLI Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified - $350.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Logitech G19 Black 104 Normal Keys USB Wired Standard Gaming Keyboard - $140.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Logitech G9x Black Two modes scroll USB Wired Laser 5700 dpi Gaming Mouse - $57.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $6591

I'm gonna go change pants now...


Pfffffff.... ONLY 4x4GB RAM, SLI, and a SINGLE SSD. I'd want at least 4x8GB RAM, quadfire 6970s, and SSDs in RAID 5 for my OS and apps and HDDs in RAID 10 for data.
December 7, 2011 1:37:26 AM

Dang I must have hit an extra set of numbers or something
December 7, 2011 1:41:39 AM

Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow Edition (VN10006W2N) White and Black SECC / Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case with Four Fans-1x 200mm Colorshift side fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift top fan, 1x 200mm Colorshift front fan and 1x 140mm rear fan
$289.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6811133192

Intel Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition Sandy Bridge-E 3.3GHz (3.9GHz Turbo) LGA 2011 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80619i73960X
$1049.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6819116491

ASUS Rampage IV Extreme/BATTLEFIELD 3 LGA 2011 Intel X79 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Intel Motherboard with USB BIOS
$469.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813131803

CORSAIR Vengeance 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ32GX3M4X1600C10
$329.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820233232

Western Digital Caviar Black WD1501FASS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 64MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
$229.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6822136592

High Current Pro HCP-850 850W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$179.99 and a $10 rebate for $169.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6817371053

Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F180GBGT-BK 2.5" 180GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) X2 in rais 0
$304.99 X2 =$609.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820233211

2X GIGABYTE GV-R699D5-4GD-B Radeon HD 6990 4GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card with Eyefinity
$739.99 X2=1479.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SAMSUNG MD230X6 Black 23" 1920 x 1080 (each) 8ms (GTG) Full HD Height Adjustable Multi-Display LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 150,000:1 (3,000:1)
$3610.00
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total for this build is $8239.90.
December 7, 2011 1:41:45 AM

Emelth said:
Dang I must have hit an extra set of numbers or something


Don't fret. $1500 for CPU + Mobo, $1500 for GPUs, and $500 for RAM is VERY do-able. That's $3500 before you even start adding $500 SSDs. And we KNOW this guy needs AT LEAST 3x 1600p screens.
December 7, 2011 2:16:12 AM

CPU: Intel Core i7-3960X $1049.99
GPU: MSI R6970 Lightning Radeon HD 6970 x4 $1559.96 (for quadfire)
Mobo: ASUS Rampage IV Extreme $469.99
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Z Series 64GB (8 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 $799.99
SSD: OCZ Vertex 3 480GB SSD x3 $3299.97 (for 960GB RAID 5)
BR Burner: LG WH12LS39 $81.99
Case: Xigmatek Elysium $219.99
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower 1275W 80+ Platinum $339.99
Monitor: Dell UltraSharp 30" x3 $4199.91 (for 3x 1600p Eyefinity)

Total: $12,141.83 ...before $0 shipping and $10 MIR! I think there were a few combo deals I intentionally ignored, though. Sorry, it doesn't come with Windows 7, keyboard, mouse, or speakers. But I could probably find those parts for less than $500. Just kidding $1000 more.
December 7, 2011 7:39:56 AM

Holy balls....

I think we have taken over this thread, did the OP find good adivice yet? lol
December 7, 2011 10:07:23 AM

inzone said:
Corsair Force Series GT CSSD-F120GBGT-BK 2.5" 120GB SATA III Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
$189.99 and a $30 rebate for $159.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

High Current Pro HCP-750 750W TX12V v2.3 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified CrossFire Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
$174.99 and a $10 rebate for $164.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M4X1600C8R
$79.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
$124.99 and a $10 rebate for $114.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
$129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX HD-685X-ZCFC Radeon HD 6850 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card
$159.99 and a $30 rebate for $129.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER HAF 932 Advanced RC-932-KKN5-GP Black Steel ATX Full Tower Compucase Case with USB 3.0, Black Interior and Four Fans-1x 230mm front RED LED fan, 1x 140mm rear fan, 1x 230mm top fan, and 1x 230mm side fan
$159.99 and a $20 rebate for $139.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

2X LG DVD Burner 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model GH24LS70 LightScribe Support
$41.98
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ZALMAN CNPS12X 120mm Long Life Bearing High Performance Triple Fan CPU Cooler
$99.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total for this build would be $1151.90 plus whatever monitor you would get.

Only a 6850? I would choose more power but that might just be me...
December 7, 2011 4:56:38 PM

I have one 6850 will two work for 3 monitors? I had someone say 2 6850's wouldn't do the job. That I would need two 6950's.
December 7, 2011 5:31:57 PM

One 6850 will work with 3 monitors. If you plan on eyefinity gaming (so your game spans all 3 screens), a single 6850 probably doesn't have enough power. But crossfiring 2 probably doesn't either, depending on the resolution, settings, and game. If you just plan on having a 3-screen desktop and playing games on only 1 screen, one 6850 will work well.
!