Sign in with
Your question

Need to complete my gaming pc build

Last response: in Systems
December 7, 2011 12:46:53 AM

I already have a HAF 922 case and I have this nice psu
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

My budget was 900-950ish. I already bought the case and psu, so I am down to 720-770ish now. I bought the seasonic psu on sale for 100 bucks on newegg with a 10 dollar coupon. I bought the HAF 922 case for 80 bucks, with a MIR to get it for 60 bucks. I haven't sent in the MIR yet.

I was considering to buy a gtx 560 ti or a radeon hd 6950 now, then buy a second one later for SLI or crossfire, in like a year or 2. People said I need a stronger psu for that. I was considering to return my nice psu for this 850 watt nice one.

should I do it? How should I approach this?

Also I need the rest of my parts. This is what I have chosen so far.

i5 2500k +Mobo combo from Microcenter. 50 dollars off of mobo
http://viewer.zmags.com/publication/7e47d029#/7e47d029/...

I don't know which mobo deal to get because I don't know how much money I can put into the motherboard and I do not know if I will go with a nvidia or radeon graphics card. I am looking to spend at around 250 dollars for the graphics card, if it is possible.

Hard drive: I was thinking to get an SSD becuase Hard drives are so expensive now. But I think I will consider this HD

I will return the HAF 922 or psu if it is necessary, but the HAF case provides enough airflow for sli or crossfire, so I don't think it's necessary to return it.

~Thanks.

More about : complete gaming build

December 7, 2011 1:03:48 AM

You should be able to sli a dual GTX 560 ti or Xfire a dual 6950 with that PSU. It may be pushing the limits a little (I like keeping my stress loads at under 80% of PSU capacity), but that is one nice PSU and it will handle it.

The HAF 922 is a good case, you won't need to RMA it. Just add a side panel fan when you go to multiple GPUs.

Your plan is solid. If you plan to forego the native graphics on the intel chip then you can go with a P67 rather than a Z68 and save a few $$. Just get a 3rd Gen mobo for a future upgrade path. ASUS, ASRock (my favorite), Gigabyte and MSI all make good mobos.

m
l
December 7, 2011 1:05:29 AM

I forgot to mention that I will overclock my i5 2500k to 4.0. I think that's what is going to push me to get a 850 watt psu. I also leave my pc on 24/7. I think 850 watt would be better, wouldn't it? What would you do?

I heard future graphics cards use less power than the current ones right now. Is that true?
m
l
Related resources
December 7, 2011 1:55:43 AM

That Seasonic X750W will be able to power your oced i5 2500k and SLI GTX 560 Ti or HD 6950 just fine. There is no need to return it. The XFX despite having 100 more W is not in the same build quality caliber as the one you already had. I would keep it if I were you.

m
l
December 7, 2011 2:31:19 AM

k thanks. I feel relieved because I got this amazing psu on sale and I would hate to give it up. Just wondering. My seasonic x750 psu doesn't say it is crossfire compatible on the newegg specs info, but I believe it can be used with crossfire, can it?

I will also push this psu at full load 24/7 because I will do some game botting that uses so much cpu power and etc. But it is possible that during this time, I am able to remove 1 graphics card, and I will only need 1 graphics card for this.

Is it possible to keep on putting the second graphics card in and out of the system without problems?

Each time I want to re-insert and take out the second graphics card, what do I have to do besides taking it out of the system?
m
l
December 7, 2011 2:46:52 AM

mazchazo said:
k thanks. I feel relieved because I got this amazing psu on sale and I would hate to give it up. Just wondering. My seasonic x750 psu doesn't say it is crossfire compatible on the newegg specs info, but I believe it can be used with crossfire, can it?

I will also push this psu at full load 24/7 because I will do some game botting that uses so much cpu power and etc. But it is possible that during this time, I am able to remove 1 graphics card, and I will only need 1 graphics card for this.

Is it possible to keep on putting the second graphics card in and out of the system without problems?

Each time I want to re-insert and take out the second graphics card, what do I have to do besides taking it out of the system?

You don't need to physically remove the card if you don't want to use 2 cards (activate SLI/CF). There is an option in the nvidia control panel (not sure about ATI catalyst suite) that you can select to disable SLI and use single card only. Also, even if you enable SLI, that doesnt mean that your system immediately draw maximum power of 2 video cards, it only draws power as needed, ie when you start loading games and when GPU is being utilized. Otherwise, your 2nd GPU (with SLI still enabled) will automatically downclock tremendously to save power such as during 2D web browsing or watching movies etc..

I'm not certain to what extent the 2nd GPU can downclock on the HD 6000 series but for my GTX 570 SLI set up, the 2nd GPU downlock to 50 Mhz core 100 Mhz memory when In 2D mode or when I dont play games even with SLI enabled. When SLI is disabled, the 2nd GPU is always deactivated no matter what games you play.

I hope this help.

Please not that the PSU above seasonic x750w is able to power your CF HD 6950Ti or GTX 560Ti SLI, but if you move up a notch to say GTX 570 SLI or HD 6970 CF, the load would be very close to the max load of the PSU. I'm not saying it wont be able to power a GTX 570 SLI or HD 6970 CF, but it will be very close to 90-100% load during gaming. There is no need to worry, even so, the PSU quality is tested and rated at 100% load so it will still be fine if you don't games 6 hours a day 7 days a week. Just a head up.
m
l
December 7, 2011 3:29:06 AM

That helps a lot. Thanks. So when I disable SLI, the psu no longer draws power from the second card right?

I will game a lot when I am on the weekend or a summer break. Like 5-6 hours a day. During the weekday not much, but on a weekday in the summer break, I will be at 4-6 hours a day. Then when I am not gaming I will disable SLI and bot programs.

Are you sure I shouldn't get a 850 watt psu? When my gtx 560 ti or 6950 sli/crossfire become obsolete, I will most likely turn to a future card. Will future cards become more power hungry or do they save more energy? Thanks.
m
l
December 7, 2011 6:01:19 AM

I understand it is a high quality psu, but using a psu that you know you will be safe with is better than one that won't support you. Unless you are saying that this seasonic 750 watt psu can cover me better than that 850 watt xfx psu on future sli cards with an overclocked i5 2500k.

Anyway, I need to find the rest of my parts. Which motherboard should I get from the combo deals from microcenter. I put the link to the ad in the beginning of this thread.

What graphics card should I get with around 250? I would say gtx 560 ti superclocked will suit well in that price range, right?

~Thanks for helping me keep my seasonic psu. I was about to return it for a 850 watt xfx one. I'll return the seasonic for a 850 Corsair if it is necessary.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...]

This is the HD I picked. Is this good?

Is this a good video card for around 250 bucks?
m
l
!