Question Regarding Motherboard and Upgrading Memory

acalvi777

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Hi,

I am looking to upgrade the RAM on my PC from 6gb to 16gb's.

My first question would be ... for someone that does use his computer a lot - for both gaming / multi-tasking and general purposes would upgrading from my existing 6gb's of RAM really be worth it ? My computer specs will be listed below FYI.

My second question is the following: I have an ASUS Motherboard (ASUS P7P55D-E LX - motherboard - ATX - LGA1156 Socket - P55 - LGA1156 Socket). Now I am not super computer savy but I do know a bit about computers. What is throwing me off is the kind of memory that I should get and whether that memory will properly work with my motherboard.

My current memory is 3 sticks of: http://www.centon.com/cmp/cmp1600pc204801

I would preferably like to purchase the ne new memory (if even needed) from amazon.com since I have a discount there.

I do have Windows 7 64bit and with all that I listed above I basically just want to see if:

A- There is a huge difference from my current 6gb's of RAM to 16gb's of RAM ?
B- Specifically what kind of memory do I need
C- Are there any worth while 16gb's RAM on amazon.com that would be worth it and fit into my machine.

Lastly, my final concern is if I were to get new RAM and pop it in ... do I have to do anything to the BIOS or OS or do I just pop in the memory into the slots and start my machine up as per usual.

-Thanks.

acalvi777

Distinguished
May 11, 2010

I currently do have 3 sticks of 2gb's each :(

I was not aware that I needed to use it that way.

Would any of these work and if so which would you recommend ?

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=lga+1156+ram#/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=lga+1156+ram+16gb&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Alga+1156+ram+16gb

acalvi777

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
Mostly what I do is gaming. I tend to play MMO games and have multiple versions of the game open - along with other applications and such. Now mind you I don't normally have many hiccups if any but there is the occasionally hiccup which is part of the reason why I would like to upgrade.

The problem I am finding is a few things:

A- I have read on some forums that my MOBO doesn't support 8gig DIMM's which I don't know if thats actually accurate.

B- I have also read that some people have a lot of issues when installing new RAM pieces with the BIOS and other software related issues that I would like to avoid. (I am looking for an easy plug and play).

Any advice on that?