Should I upgrade to an AMD Bulldozer

digihex

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
Just was wondering is it worth it to upgrade to an amd bulldozer. If so which one would probably better benefit me. I am scared to try 8 cores yet to be honest just seems like they may be faulty or something. The processor I have right now is a Phenom II x4 840. Also would a 550 W psu be enough. It says its a 125 watts and the one I have right now is a 95 W. I used http://www.extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine and it told me *recommended Minimum PSU Wattage: 496 W
Recommended PSU Wattage: 546 W*. *I went off the specs of the 6790 graphics card*

Computer Specs:

GPU: Ati HD 6790/Nvidia 550 ti *i switch between the two*
PSU:550W *http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1147669&CatId=1079*
CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 840 Processor (4 CPUs), ~3.2GHz
Mobo: Gygabyte M68MT-S2P (rev 3.0)
Ram: 4gigs ddr3
HDD:1tb 7200 rpm

The Trinity version of PD might not be so great either: http://www.h-online.com/newsticker/news/item/Processor-Whispers-About-Haskell-and-Haswell-1389507.html

Although first leaked benchmark results for the Llano successor Trinity with the new Piledriver core can't really impress with a performance increase of 23 to 35 per cent in graphics (3DMark Vantage) and 7 to 17 per cent in general (PCMark Vantage)...

"Upgrading" to BD makes no sense at all, if you were running on a sempron or a dual core even then maybe but with what you have now you are better off waiting. BD is less than what you have and very few situations does BD show actual performance improvements.

digihex

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012
I am just gonna get one more stick of 4 gb ddr3 ram and just wait like everyone else has said. I have not had intel and have heard about the ivy bridge from other forums, but intel normally cost to much for me. That is one of the reasons I was waiting for the BD. I guess i can try intel later one hopefully they are not like 1K just for a freaing cpu.

G

eh 8 gigs isn't overkill but 4 should be fine. maybe think about getting a better cooler and overclocking that PhIIx4.

REALLY plan ahead and upgrade that psu!

digihex

Honorable
Mar 7, 2012

Yea I know that is what I was trying to do with the mobo as well so I could support another cpu later on and I came across a deal that was 289 dollars after rebate with the 8 core BD. Which is why i asked this question before buying it and all. I really don't approve of oc. I have only oced my gpu and that is because that was because i was having wattage or something issues. Although even after i bought a 750 psu and plugged it in I still had issues. The reason i didn't keep it was because i bought it from best buy and it was overpriced. Although oc fixed it in some games others it just crashes in like minecraft and crysis.

Thats the same thing i was thinking. Especially since i do 3d modeling and real flow like crashes my computer at times.

Any thing less than 8gb gives me the same feeling of not getting enough air to breathe in an enclosed space when it comes to modern apps. With 4 I am always coming close to running down to only a few hundred mb left and the page file getting rather bloated :??:
Got 16gb in my main comp and feels good knowing I won't be running low for a good two years or so.