First Build for gaming setup $1600

pringlcj

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hello im going to build a gaming setup for around $1600Aus to mainly run Battlefield 3 and Flight Simulator (which renders alot of textures) and im not sure if these components will work fine together. I will also be using the computer for general use

I don't plan on overclocking as i dont know how that works. (I also dont know what crossfiring is so..)

will I also need an extra Cooling Fan?
Could i use two graphics cards (eg. GTX560ti) instead of the 1 Radeon 6970 and would that have better performance and FPS?
Is this setup fine or do i need to change some components?

Also - GTX570 or Radeon 6970, which to go with?

This is the setup im looking at:

ATI AMD HD6970 2Gb DDR5 PCI-E 2.0 16X Radeon 6970 DX11 HDMI Display Port
Intel core i7 2600 LGA1155 CPU 3.4Ghz 8MB
Asus P8Z68-V-LX Z68 LGA1155 MB 4DDR3 Intel HDMI SATA3
8Gb DDR3 133 Kingston Memory 2X4Gb Kit
125Gb Corsair Force 3 SSD 2.5" SATA3 550/510 MB/s
500Gb Samsung SATA 2 HDD 16MB Cache; SATA300 Hard Drive
Samsung 22X SATA DVD Writer
Antec True Power new 750W ATX Power supply TP-750 Blue
CoolerMaster CM Storm Enforcer Midi Tower ATX Gaming Case SGC-1000-KWN1 Chassis No PS
Windows 7 64Bit Home Premium

Including - Build costs and 2 warranty

$1553

Much Appreciated
Chris

You could run with what you have listed. Here are some ideas:
1) The 2600 is probably appropriate for use with FSX which is cpu intensive and multi thread enabled. But, I would spend the trivial premium to get the 2600K. The "K" along with the Z68 based motherboard will give you the option to raise the multiplier, and change your cpu from 3.4 to 4.0-4.5 safely. You need not do this at all, but do preserve your option to do so.

2) You might want to check with the fsx forums(I presume that is the flight simulator you will use).
They can probably give you a more informed insight as to the graphics cards that are appropriate. I seem to recall that Nvidia cards played better.

3) I would stick with a single graphics card if just one will do the job. You will avoid some issues. The best one available today is the GTX580.
cf or sli is the ability to get two cards to work together rendering frames for one monitor.

4) I think the motherboard you listed supports crossfire, for amd cards, but not sli for nvidia cards.

5) I would get an aftermarket cooler up front. It need not be more than $30 or so. It will be quieter, cooler, and be easier to install than the stock intel cooler. Look at a Xigmatek gaia or cm hyper 212.

Formata

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2010
All looks ok.

2 x 560ti will outperform a single 6970 in gaming fps (the board listed can't do SLI so will need to change if you want that GPU setup.)

A couple of suggestions/points:

If you are considering a dual AMD GPU system now or adding another in the future, you might want to aim a little higher with your mobo choice. The V-LX is fine and priced extremely competitively... but the 2nd card slot can only work in x4 bandwidth mode. They scaled back the construction on that model also. Few less heat sinks, the SATA ports aren't parallel to the board...but hey what do you expect for that money.

If you're willing to look to Asrock over Asus, you can get a lot more feature wise, for not a great deal more money.

ASRock Z68 Extreme4 Gen3
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=138_711_1183&products_id=18041

I agree with getting a 'K' model processor, even if you aren't really looking at overclocking right now. The i5 2500K performs extremely well and saves you over the i7 2600.

A good low cost CPU cooler:

CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO
http://www.pccasegear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=207_23_845&products_id=18670

One final minor thing... is that RAM 1333MHz? You should able to get 1600MHz for basically the same cost these days.

The rest all looks quality. I like that case. Depending what sort of GPU setup you go with (heat wise) you might want to a fan to the top (No biggie)

Are you paying extra for that warranty? Keep in mind those parts should have manufacturer warranties. For eg. that mobo should be 3 years manufacturer.